Grovewood Saga

Roll Softly, Hit harder. . .

User Tools

Site Tools

Writing /home/grovewoodsaga/public_html/data/cache/8/8d2b8636697e2d1f80da36bb431c7632.metadata failed

campaigns:the_forth:session_7_-_8-20-2017_-_returning_to_neoma
Writing /home/grovewoodsaga/public_html/data/cache/8/8d2b8636697e2d1f80da36bb431c7632.xhtml failed

[20:08] <DM_Tol> * Game recap *
[20:09] <DM_Tol> The party made it to the castle ruins, to begin the search for what otherworldly evil presence has taken up residence. At the entrance, two trees animated and attacked.
[20:10] <DM_Tol> All members fell in the conflict, when Khophus coming to, drug each party member behind trees and rocks, collapsing in exhaustion.
[20:10] <DM_Tol> Out of sight, the trees returned to their posts. After an hour, each of you regain coinciousness.
[20:10] * Khophus plops down, looking at the others…then back to the trees…he whips his shield off of his arm…
[20:10] <DM_Tol> * As session 7 of Heroes of Azod begins *
[20:11] * Khophus plops down, looking at the others…then back to the trees…he whips his shield off of his arm…
[20:11] <Khophus> “STUPID!” *PWANG* “STUPID!” *PWANG!* “STUPID!” *PWANG*
[20:11] * Ash groans
[20:12] <Dylan> (pwang?)
[20:12] <Ash> “I don't feel good… what hit me?”
[20:12] <DM_Tol> As you each rouse yourselves, your body hurts and you feel weak.
[20:12] <Khophus> “Trees.”
[20:12] * Theriand just lays there
[20:12] <Dylan> “Well, that was… instructive”
[20:12] * Khophus tosses his shield down.
[20:12] * Shaddow (me@sorcery-1li3ic.vtc.net) has joined #grovewood
[20:12] * ChanServ sets mode: +v Shaddow
[20:13] <Khophus> “We need a new plan.”
[20:13] <Dylan> “A better one”
[20:14] <+Shaddow> Miri “not sure what plan that is going to be. We almost died from trees!”
[20:14] <Theriand> “More fire…“
[20:14] <Dylan> “I don't think we have the ability to take things head on..”
[20:14] * Miri (me@sorcery-1li3ic.vtc.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 121 seconds)
[20:14] * Shaddow is now known as Miri
[20:14] <Dylan> “Do we need to kill the trees? Can't we just go around them?”
[20:15] <Ash> “Did we kill any of them? We could take the remains back and see if they can be studied?”
[20:17] <Khophus> “one of us can distract while the other goes in.”
[20:21] <Ash> “Ok, but I think we need to heal up first.”
[20:21] <Khophus> “Agreed.”
[20:21] <Khophus> (brb)
[20:21] <Miri> “sleep, i say we sleep”
[20:21] <Khophus> (that too)
[20:22] <Miri> (also, fair warning, if i stop responding at all it's probably cause i fell asleep.)
[20:22] <DM_Tol> (reminder that “last night”, you found a nice campsite, alongside a small cliff, partially covered a half hour walk from here)
[20:23] <Ash> “Let's fall back to that campsite and rest up.”
[20:23] * Dylan agrees
[20:24] * Miri nods
[20:24] <Theriand> “Indeed,” he grudgingly pulls himself up to his feet
[20:25] * Dylan heads towards the campsite
[20:26] <DM_Tol> As you rise, you see 60 ft behind you the entrance to the castle walls, with two extremely ordinary looking trees on either side, motionless.
[20:26] * Ash winces as he aggravates the tender spot where he was beaten by a tree.
[20:29] * Khophus stands up and takes the rearguard, eyeing the trees with naked contempt.
[20:29] * Miri stands up, rubbing her head as she moves with everyone.
[20:32] <Khophus> “Who here can throw?”
[20:33] <Dylan> “Depends on what I'm throwing”
[20:34] <Khophus> “Bottle of oil.”
[20:34] * Dylan nods
[20:34] <Dylan> “I think I could do that”
[20:34] * Khophus nods. “Good.”
[20:36] <DM_Tol> You move along slowly and make it to the cut out beside a hill, flanked by trees, where you stayed the night before.
[20:37] <DM_Tol> (it’s now just past noon. gonna stay here all day and night?)
[20:38] <Dylan> (i assume so, try to heal some people tommorrow)
[20:38] <Khophus> (I am – I need rest to recharge my breath)
[20:38] <Ash> (indeed)
[20:41] <DM_Tol> (you can spend any remaining hit die as needed… roll for those HP gains. The you will regain half total hit die at end of the long rest)
[20:42] <Ash> 2d8
[20:42] <TolBot> Ash's 2d8(8)]: 8
[20:42] <DM_Tol> The group stays in the area through the late afternoon and evening, sleeping and resting and then through the night.
[20:42] <Miri> (are we not taking a long rest? doesn't that auto refill hp?)
[20:42] <Theriand> 1d6+2
[20:42] <TolBot> Theriand's 1d6(3)+2]: 5
[20:42] <Theriand> 1d6+2
[20:42] <TolBot> Theriand's 1d6(1)+2]: 3
[20:44] <Dylan> (roll hit die?)
[20:44] <Miri> d12
[20:44] <Miri> 1d12
[20:44] <TolBot> Miri's 1d12(11)]: 11
[20:45] <Miri> 1d12
[20:45] <TolBot> Miri's 1d12(2)]: 2
[20:45] <Miri> 1d12
[20:45] <TolBot> Miri's 1d12(12)]: 12
[20:45] <Khophus> (add Con bonus?)
[20:45] <Miri> (oops, didn't mean to roll that last one)
[20:45] <Khophus> 1d10+2
[20:45] <TolBot> Khophus's 1d10(7)+2]: 9
[20:46] <Khophus> 1d10+2
[20:46] <TolBot> Khophus's 1d10(4)+2]: 6
[20:47] * Khophus plops down in the grass and snores
[20:48] * Dylan sits and thinks for a bit and makes a list
[20:48] <Khophus> (I need a Donut of Revitalization)
[20:48] <Dylan> “I guess I'll take the first watch”
[20:49] <Miri> “I'll take second”
[20:49] <Khophus> “mmmf…night…“
[20:50] * Khophus rolls over and snores again, singeing the grass
[20:53] <Theriand> (fire call, may or may not be back before the session is over)
[20:53] * Ash tries to get comfortable, and then tries to pull his clothes over his ears.
[20:53] <Miri> (take care)
[20:55] <Dylan> 2d8
[20:55] <TolBot> Dylan's 2d8(12)]: 12
[20:55] <DM_Tol> 1d100
[20:55] <TolBot> <[DM_Tol's 1d100(78)]: 78
[20:55] <DM_Tol> The night passes without event… you awake feeling horrible.
[20:57] * Khophus snorts once and looks around. “My turn for watch?”
[20:59] * Dylan appraises to see who is most injured
[21:01] <Khophus> (I'm good)
[21:02] <Ash> (I might live)
[21:02] <Dylan> (others?)
[21:03] <Miri> (i'm okish)
[21:03] <Dylan> (who appears to be worst?)
[21:03] <Miri> (i'm 10 points down)
[21:03] <Dylan> (just post current hp/total available :P)
[21:04] <Dylan> “Ok let's try this, this worked before..”
[21:04] <Khophus> (16/20)
[21:04] <Ash> (9/11)
[21:05] * Dylan grabs Miri's shoulder and says “BE HEALED”
[21:05] <Dylan> (LoH 10 HP Healing)
[21:05] <Miri> (though shouldn't we be back to full after a full night's rest?)
[21:05] <Miri> (thanks)
[21:08] <DM_Tol> (note: it’s a day’s journey back to the town and Neoma’s dome.)
[21:14] * Dylan sits
[21:14] <Dylan> “So, now what?”
[21:14] <Dylan> “What are we trying to do, I may be thick, but I don't understand our goals.”
[21:15] <Khophus> “We burn the trees down and get inside.”
[21:15] <Ash> “Capture the remains of one of those trees, and bring it back to Neoma.”
[21:15] <Ash> “Preferably by killing the trees at extreme range.”
[21:17] <Miri> “do we have a plan for that?”
[21:18] <Dylan> “Ok, that's two plans”
[21:18] <Dylan> “Which do we want to do, take the tree remains to Neoma, or go inside?”
[21:18] <Dylan> “I think it would be good if we were all on the same page here”
[21:19] <Ash> “Take the tree remains back. If we can't handle the thugs outside, what makes you think we can handle what's inside?”
[21:19] <Khophus> “What makes you think inside is nothing but trees?”
[21:19] * Ash looks at Khophus with a quizzical “Huh?” look.
[21:20] <Miri> “both plans require us killing the trees, and neither of us seem to have a plan for that.”
[21:20] <Dylan> “That's a good point, I think we should take this back to Neoma, why do we have to take a whole tree, can't we just break off a branch and take it to her?”
[21:21] <Dylan> “Maybe she will be able to give us some better ideas on how to deal with them?”
[21:23] <Khophus> “I think fire is a good idea.”
[21:23] <Miri> “it seemed to work more than my sword did”“
[21:23] <Ash> “It seemed effective, where other attacks were not as effective.”
[21:24] <DM_Tol> (miri, your flametongue sword actually worked great)
[21:24] <Miri> (yeah, because of the fire though, not so much the sword itself, at least i thought)
[21:25] <DM_Tol> (correct… but the fire damage doubled)
[21:25] <DM_Tol> (but, you have to be in melee, and they clobber hard)
[21:25] <Miri> (yes, raging might have come in handy)
[21:26] <DM_Tol> (sorry, i only had attention to play her minimally)
[21:26] <Miri> (nothing to be sorry for. i'm glad you didn't, cause she hasn't yet. didn't want that stolen :D)
[21:27] <DM_Tol> (cool… i played her cause I knew party wouldn’t survive without her)
[21:27] <Khophus> “We need oil.”
[21:27] <Miri> (awe, you say such nice things hehe)
[21:27] <Miri> “does anyone have any money for that?”
[21:29] <Dylan> “What kind of oil? I don't know much about such things..”
[21:30] <Miri> “the kind that burns?”
[21:31] <Khophus> “Yes.”
[21:31] <Khophus> “The kind for lanterns.”
[21:31] <Dylan> “Oh, sorry, I know theres lantern oil and some oil for cooking”
[21:32] * Dylan rummages around and hands a 2 gp for oil
[21:35] <Ash> “What are you going to do with that? Buy oil from the dirt?”
[21:35] <Khophus> “Now we just need to get to market.”
[21:39] <Khophus> “That should get us enough to burn those trees down. Don't you think?”
[21:39] * Khophus looks to Miri.
[21:39] * Miri shrugs “It could.”
[21:39] <DM_Tol> (note: from your experience, you can discern that the tree creatures are vulnerable to fire, and resistant to bludgeoning and piercing
[21:41] <Khophus> “Good!”
[21:41] * Khophus looks a lot better and more confident – his scales sem to glitter just a teensy bit brighter in the sun.
[21:41] <Khophus> “To market!'
[21:42] <Dylan> “Ok, so we will be back in.. two days?”
[21:42] <DM_Tol> (note: when you splash a creature with oil, the effect is that when it takes fire damage, it takes an additional 5 hps of fire damage)
[21:42] <DM_Tol> (just letting you know the mechanic, since I’m guessing it’s not as impactful as you might be thinking)
[21:43] <DM_Tol> (Yes, you could return in two days if you went to Azod and back)
[21:43] <DM_Tol> (oil is pg 152 of PHB)
[21:44] <DM_Tol> (tolbot knows this sort of stuff, too)
[21:44] <DM_Tol> -item oil
[21:44] <Khophus> (interesting mechanic)
[21:45] <DM_Tol> (and, that extra oil damage can only be added to the creature once per turn)
[21:45] <Khophus> (so…no more dousing and waiting for it to die. We have to constantly apply oil to it)
[21:46] <DM_Tol> (we’ll auto travel, so no big deal if you want to)
[21:46] <Khophus> (not for me)
[21:46] <DM_Tol> (no, Khophus)
[21:46] <DM_Tol> (The oil lasts one minute which is ten rounds)
[21:46] <Khophus> (oh, sorry – I misread that sentence)
[21:47] <DM_Tol> (from your experience, you also discern that the trees moved at a speed of 20ft)
[21:51] <Dylan> -item tent
[21:51] <Dylan> -item oil
[21:52] * Khophus heads back to town, confident that his pass at near-brilliance was not just lucky.
[21:52] <DM_Tol> (going to town?)
[21:53] <Khophus> (I am)
[21:54] <DM_Tol> Ash theriand, Miri Dylan going with him?)
[21:54] <Miri> (sure)
[21:54] <Ash> (I suppose)
[21:54] * Ash follows, feeling defeated.
[21:54] <DM_Tol> The group heads back toward Azod. The terrain begins to look familiar, and you encounter no other persons on the journey. You reach town late afternoon.
[21:55] <DM_Tol> (going to Azod first or to see Neoma first?)
[21:56] <Dylan> (neoma?)
[21:56] <Khophus> (Neoma)
[21:58] <Miri> (brb)
[22:01] * Khophus tries to remain looking confident and secure in the knowledge that his party is doing the right thing.
[22:02] <DM_Tol> You find and enter the dome. it is as it always is, but you do not see Neoma at first.
[22:02] <DM_Tol> Then, her form is seen behind the bema. She awakens, “Greetings.”
[22:02] <Miri> (back)
[22:03] <DM_Tol> Neoma hears your story of the sentries at the castle.
[22:03] <Ash> “Hello”
[22:03] <DM_Tol> Neoma: “They sound like trees awakened by the foul assault upon nature wrought by the presence of the demon lord that is there.”
[22:04] * Khophus clears his throat nervously. “What should we do?”
[22:04] <DM_Tol> Neoma: “I do not need any specimen of the trees. The only thing we need is to investigate the castle… where is the demon there. And why? and how?”
[22:05] <DM_Tol> Neoma: “I have tried, but can not appear any closer to the castle than here. How is the demon lord able to be there, I do not know, and why they have come upon that spot is a mystery.”
[22:05] <DM_Tol> Neoma: “You can investigate, however you are not able to confront the demon master yourself, mind you.”
[22:06] <DM_Tol> Neoma: “If we knew more about that castle’s history, it might unlock some answers as to why and how the demon lord is there.”
[22:08] <Ash> “So somehow we get by killer trees to go into a castle and poke around?”
[22:09] <DM_Tol> Neoma nods.
[22:09] <DM_Tol> “And, you might discern how to learn more of this castle’s history. Perhaps in town, even.”
[22:11] <Khophus> “Do you have any oil?”
[22:12] <DM_Tol> Neoma: “Oil? Yes, there is a box of flasks there.”
[22:12] <DM_Tol> She points to a small wooden crate on a shelf off to her right.
[22:12] <DM_Tol> Neoma: “For the trees? Wise. Take as you have need.”
[22:12] <DM_Tol> (in the box you find 5 clay vials of oil)
[22:15] * Khophus glows as he's called wise by a woman far, far smarter than him…and he takes all the vials.
[22:18] <Khophus> “Thank you, gracious lady.”
[22:18] * Khophus bows and puts the vials in his backpack gently.
[22:19] <DM_Tol> (note, 5 vials is 5 pounds of oil)
[22:20] <Ash> (That's going to be one heck of a bonfire)
[22:21] <Khophus> (And I am going to laugh as the world burns)
[22:25] <DM_Tol> Neoma: “You are still weak from battle. Sleep in the dome tonight. Maybe you can in the morning see if you can learn more of the castle in town, and then leave for it once more.”
[22:25] * Khophus bows again, carefully as the bottles clink in the backpack.
[22:25] <Khophus> “Thank you again, gracious lady.”
[22:30] * Khophus looks for a place to settle in…then asks one more question…
[22:30] <Khophus> “Where could we find some food for the evening?:
[22:30] <Khophus> “
[22:31] <DM_Tol> Neoma looks on.
[22:32] <DM_Tol> Neoma: “I have no food, Master Khophus I am sorry.”
[22:32] <DM_Tol> (It’s not evening yet… you can go into town.)
[22:34] <DM_Tol> (have I lost y’all?)
[22:35] <Ash> (Maybe)
[22:35] * <DM_Tol is now known as Tolman
[22:35] <Khophus> (I am a little tired from travelling)
[22:35] <Dylan> (i'm here)
[22:35] <@Tolman> * As this session of Heroes of Azod fizzles out *

campaigns/the_forth/session_7_-_8-20-2017_-_returning_to_neoma.txt · Last modified: 2017/08/28 00:35 (external edit)