Grovewood Saga

Roll Softly, Hit harder. . .

User Tools

Site Tools

Writing /home/grovewoodsaga/public_html/data/cache/8/8810d0576129f38da3d129f66e87a0e3.metadata failed

campaigns:the_forth:session_14_-_10-22-2017_-_tunnels
Writing /home/grovewoodsaga/public_html/data/cache/8/8810d0576129f38da3d129f66e87a0e3.xhtml failed

[20:10] <DM_Tol> * Game Recap *
[20:11] <DM_Tol> The group repoorted what they had to Neoma, and spent the evening putting their heads together.
[20:11] <DM_Tol> They decided that the Demon Lord and the bulk of its horde must be living in the castle tower.
[20:13] <DM_Tol> But between wall etchings, rumors, and the words of a dying humanoid, the group has decided to investigate if a Pillar of Phyrdo that Neoma spoke of, is active and hidden somewhere in the depths below the castle grounds, providing a catalyst for hwo the Demon Lord is staying in this plane.
[20:15] <DM_Tol> They received another of Neoma’s empowerment rituals, and woke yesterday morning feeling stronger and more powerful than ever before. They journeyed to the cave a half hour from the castle, sleeping with the now amusing and regular companion, the brown bear.
[20:15] <DM_Tol> * As this 13th session of Heroes of Azod begins *
[20:15] <DM_Tol> The ground has a nice morning dew.
[20:16] <DM_Tol> The bear is nowhere to be seen. Theriand watched the bear head out during his early morning watch.
[20:18] * Dylan yawns
[20:19] * Ash greets the day with a hardy stretch, and “nature's business” outside of the cave.
[20:20] * Khophus digsd into his rations for the day
[20:20] * Dylan goes about his morning things
[20:22] * Miri goes about her morning routine as well.
[20:25] <Ash> “Alright, we should probably get ready to go as soon as everybody is ready.”
[20:25] * Dylan readies to go and waits for the others to be ready
[20:25] * Ash is feeling a little emboldened this morning for some reason.
[20:26] * Khophus finishes eating, puts on his armor and ties on his baldrick.
[20:26] <Khophus> “I am ready.”
[20:27] <Dylan> “Me too”
[20:28] * ^ThEeYe^ (ThEeYe@sorcery-e1esk2.cable.rogers.com) has joined #grovewood
[20:29] <Miri> ( hi sent)
[20:29] <Miri> “me three”
[20:30] <Ash> (Hey Sent)
[20:30] <Ash> “Then let's go.”
[20:30] <DM_Tol> Theriand nibbles some food and then packs up.
[20:30] * Dylan follows
[20:31] * Khophus straps his shield and starts out from the cave.
[20:32] <DM_Tol> The group heads out and marches to the castle grounds.
[20:33] <DM_Tol> After half an hour, you make it to within sight of the castle walls. The tall tower visible in the back.
[20:34] * Khophus looks for some cover
[20:36] * Dylan tromps towards the tower
[20:36] <DM_Tol> You move ahead ducking behind trees as you move towards the gate.
[20:36] <DM_Tol> (feel free to make a stealth ability roll)
[20:37] <DM_Tol> (not you, Dylan since you’re ‘tromping’ :)
[20:37] <Ash> 1d20+2 disadvantage
[20:37] <TolBot> Ash's 1d20(17, 12)+2 'disadvantage']: 14
[20:37] <Miri> 1d20-1
[20:37] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(1)-1]: 0 (Yikes!)
[20:37] <Miri> (lmao)
[20:37] * Miri is apperantly tromping right next to dylan lol)
[20:38] <Khophus> 1d20+1 How stealthy is a dragonborn?
[20:38] <TolBot> Khophus's 1d20(14)+1 'How stealthy is a dragonborn?']: 15
[20:41] <DM_Tol> You approach the gate.
[20:42] <DM_Tol> Miri you move from one tree and shake it enough such that a dead branch falls from above and crashes in front of you, onto a rock, making a large snapping sound that echoes off the castle walls.
[20:42] * Miri jumps back. “oops”
[20:43] * Khophus rolls his eyes…
[20:43] * Dylan blinks
[20:43] <DM_Tol> Theriand glares at you and face palms.
[20:44] * Khophus looks around to see any signs that they have been found thanks to Ms. Goblin-Feet.
[20:44] * Miri almost growls. “it's not my fault. My body feels funny.”
[20:45] * Dylan shrugs
[20:45] <Dylan> “It happens”
[20:45] * Ash looks around to see if they attracted the attention of anything.
[20:46] <Dylan> “Onwards?”
[20:46] * Dylan continues towards the tower
[20:46] * Miri waits a moment before continuing on.
[20:47] * Khophus continues on, trying to be stealthy
[20:49] * Ash will continue if it appears nothing noticed the ogres in the group.
[20:50] <DM_Tol> (roll perception checks if you like)
[20:50] <DM_Tol> (hehe, ogres. nice one)
[20:50] <^ThEeYe^> (howdy)
[20:50] <DM_Tol> (howdy !! )
[20:50] <Ash> 1d20+2 perception
[20:50] <TolBot> Ash's 1d20(17)+2 'perception']: 19
[20:51] <Khophus> 1d20+2 perception
[20:51] <TolBot> Khophus's 1d20(18)+2 'perception']: 20
[20:51] <Khophus> (Yes!)
[20:52] <DM_Tol> You see no signs of aggression ahead.
[20:53] <Ash> “Looks clear.”
[20:53] * Ash says in a hushed tone.
[20:53] * Khophus nods and continues on, looking ahead
[20:55] <DM_Tol> You approach the gate.
[20:56] <DM_Tol> Moving through the trees, you are less than 100 ft before the gate.
[20:57] * Dylan waits to see if there are more of those animated enemies
[20:58] * Khophus finds a place to hide behind and waits.
[20:58] <DM_Tol> You see no signs of aggression ahead.
[20:58] * Ash picks large rocks mostly for cover, having painful memories about the trees.
[20:59] <DM_Tol> In particular, you do not see trees flanking the gate.
[20:59] * Dylan starts heading towards the gate
[21:00] * Khophus follows along Dylan
[21:02] * Miri will take up the rear
[21:02] * Ash follows in, keeping low and hidden when possible.
[21:06] <DM_Tol> You move through the gate. To your left is the intact corner building. To your right is the fallen building, where you found the opening in the ground.
[21:07] * Ash points towards the right.
[21:07] <Ash> “That's where we start.”
[21:07] <Khophus> “Who's going in first?”
[21:07] * Dylan nods
[21:07] <Dylan> “I will
[21:08] * Dylan goes to the entrance of the cave and uses divine sense\
[21:09] <DM_Tol> Theriand shrugs.
[21:10] <DM_Tol> You make yourself to the right building rubble.
[21:10] <DM_Tol> The stone you dragged away is still moved, and you see the sand box in the ground, but there is no sign of the opening.
[21:11] <DM_Tol> (cave was not a good description… it was a carved, manufactured stairwell entrance, though it’s not now visible)
[21:11] <Dylan> “Ok, soo..”
[21:11] * Ash draws the 3 symbols into the sand.
[21:12] * Khophus looks around, hand on the hilt of his sword
[21:13] <DM_Tol> You collect once again the symbols you put together from the wall etchings.
[21:13] <DM_Tol> You feel the force vibration as you draw each one, and upon the third, the floor beside you begins to move.
[21:13] <DM_Tol> (any of you remember to avoid falling this time?)
[21:15] <Dylan> (1 yes 2 no)
[21:15] <Dylan> 1d2
[21:15] <TolBot> Dylan's 1d2(2)]: 2
[21:15] <Khophus> (probably not)
[21:15] <Dylan> (nope)
[21:15] <DM_Tol> (If you in character think your character was dumb enough not to remember avoiding the moving floor, then roll a Dex save DC10
[21:16] <Ash> (I'd say my stats would say yes.)
[21:16] <Dylan> 1d20+2
[21:16] <TolBot> Dylan's 1d20(11)+2]: 13
[21:16] <DM_Tol> Dylan dances out of the way as the ground opens up.
[21:17] <Miri> 1d20-1
[21:17] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(18)-1]: 17
[21:17] * Khophus takes a couple of steps back…
[21:18] <DM_Tol> As Miri springs out of the way, a blobbish demon springs up from the hole ready to attack.
[21:18] <DM_Tol> -init rolls plz
[21:18] <TolBot> Please make an initiative roll: 1d20+modifier. (You can make a roll 'for AnotherCharacter')
[21:18] <Ash> 1d20
[21:18] <TolBot> Ash's 1d20(19)]: 19
[21:18] <DM_Tol> 1d20-1 for Mane
[21:18] <TolBot> <[DM_Tol's 1d20(4)-1 'for Mane']: 3
[21:18] <Miri> 1d20-1
[21:18] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(3)-1]: 2
[21:18] <Khophus> 1d20+1 Die Jello-Man!
[21:18] <TolBot> Khophus's 1d20(10)+1 'Die Jello-Man!']: 11
[21:18] <Ash> “Another one?”
[21:19] <Dylan> 1d20+2
[21:19] <TolBot> Dylan's 1d20(11)+2]: 13
[21:19] <DM_Tol> -init report
[21:19] <TolBot> Initiative Order: Ash 19, Dylan 13, Khophus 11, Mane, 3, Miri 2
[21:19] * Ash casts Shillelagh on his club and moves in to attack.
[21:19] <Ash> 1d20+4
[21:19] <TolBot> Ash's 1d20(13)+4]: 17
[21:20] <Ash> 1d8+2 (blunt/magical damage)
[21:20] <TolBot> Ash's 1d8(6)+2 '(blunt/magical damage)']: 8
[21:20] <DM_Tol> (hit)
[21:21] <DM_Tol> Ash moves forward and pummels the creature.
[21:21] <DM_Tol> (Dylan)
[21:21] * Dylan strikes at the creature with his sword
[21:21] <Dylan> d20+4
[21:22] <Dylan> 1d20+4
[21:22] <TolBot> Dylan's 1d20(13)+4]: 17
[21:22] <Dylan> 2d6+6
[21:22] <TolBot> Dylan's 2d6(10)+6]: 16
[21:24] <DM_Tol> Dylan destroys the creature as it dissipates into smoke and fades into the air, as another Man steps up from below taking its place.
[21:24] <DM_Tol> (Khophus)
[21:25] * Khophus snarls and swipes his blade where the throat of the creature would be…
[21:25] <Khophus> 1d20+5
[21:25] <TolBot> Khophus's 1d20(14)+5]: 19
[21:25] <Miri> (an other man or another demon?)
[21:25] <Khophus> (Man)
[21:25] <DM_Tol> (another blobbish demon which Neoma called a Mane)
[21:26] <DM_Tol> (sorry, another Mane steups up)
[21:26] <DM_Tol> (steps)
[21:26] <Khophus> 1d8+3
[21:26] <TolBot> Khophus's 1d8(3)+3]: 6
[21:26] <DM_Tol> Khophus hits the Mane as it claws back.
[21:26] <DM_Tol> 1d3
[21:26] <TolBot> <[DM_Tol's 1d3(2)]: 2
[21:26] <DM_Tol> 1d20+2 at Dylan
[21:26] <TolBot> <[DM_Tol's 1d20(11)+2 'at Dylan']: 13
[21:27] <Dylan> (ac 16)
[21:27] <DM_Tol> The creature misses.
[21:27] <DM_Tol> (miri)
[21:28] * Miri goes into a rage before swinging at the creature.
[21:28] <Miri> 1d20+4
[21:28] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(15)+4]: 19
[21:29] <Miri> 2d6+4
[21:29] <TolBot> Miri's 2d6(6)+4]: 10
[21:31] <DM_Tol> With Miri’s attack, the creature goes down and dissipates into smoke, dissappearing.
[21:32] * Dylan looks around
[21:32] <Dylan> “Everyone ok?”
[21:32] <DM_Tol> All is quiet again, as you stand around the 5x10ft opening in the stone floor that was once the floor of a building. Stairs lead down into the darkness.
[21:32] * Miri shakes her rage off. “well that felt…different.”
[21:33] * Dylan nods
[21:33] * Ash shrugs
[21:33] <Dylan> “Ready?”
[21:33] * Dylan readies a torch
[21:34] <Ash> “Ready here”
[21:35] <Miri> “ready”
[21:35] * Dylan lights the torch and starts descending
[21:36] * Khophus follows behind Dylan
[21:37] <DM_Tol> (ok, before entering, can you each remind me your dark vision statuses?)
[21:38] <Khophus> (blind as a bat)
[21:38] <Ash> (Darkvision 60')
[21:38] <Dylan> (human, so blind as a bat)
[21:40] <DM_Tol> (what do half-elves have?)
[21:40] <DM_Tol> Theriand is half-elf)
[21:41] <Miri> (blind as a bat)
[21:41] <Dylan> (dark vision i think)
[21:41] <Miri> (half elves have dark vision)
[21:43] <DM_Tol> (So, for Ash and Theriand who have Darkvision, remember, in dim light, like a torch, it is like bright light to you. In Darkness, like in a tunnel without a torch, you can see 60ft dimly. So remember your ability, but also don’t exaggerate it)
[21:45] <Ash> (I see all the things!)
[21:46] <Miri> (just wait till i'm level 5 *cackles*)
[21:46] <Khophus> (I get out my IR goggles)
[21:46] <Khophus> (brb)
[21:48] <DM_Tol> You move into the tunnel stairs. On the wall to the side, you see a push stone similar to the one you saw in the hidden upper room in the opposite building.
[21:50] <Dylan> “What does this do again?”
[21:50] <Khophus> “Hopefully not hurt us.”
[21:51] <Dylan> “Do you want to push it and find out?”
[21:51] <DM_Tol> The stairwell, about 6ft wide, goes on off into the darkness below (ie. further than 60ft)
[21:51] <Ash> “It lets us out.”
[21:51] <Dylan> “Ok, lets start going down?”
[21:51] * Dylan descends
[21:52] * Miri holds her sword ath the ready to light before heading down.
[21:52] * Khophus follows close to the torch.
[21:53] <Dylan> “Did someone have a flaming sword?”
[21:53] <DM_Tol> You move down the stairs and in the torchlight, Theriand and Ash notice markings on the right wall.
[21:53] <Miri> “me” Miri says as right before whispering “marshmallow” to light it.
[21:53] * Dylan nods
[21:54] * Ash stops to look at the wall.
[21:54] <DM_Tol> Miri’s sword flames on, producing torchlight as well.
[21:55] <DM_Tol>
[21:55] <DM_Tol> The marking on the wall is:
[21:55] <DM_Tol>
[21:55] <DM_Tol> Further down is the marking:
[21:55] <DM_Tol>
[21:56] <Dylan> “Should we track these?”
[21:56] <Ash> “I don't get it, they look like tally marks.
[21:56] * Khophus looks around
[21:57] * Dylan nods
[21:57] <DM_Tol> The marks are carved strokes the further you descend:
[21:57] <DM_Tol>
[21:57] <DM_Tol>
[21:57] <DM_Tol>
[21:57] <DM_Tol>
[21:57] <DM_Tol>
[21:57] <Khophus> “Someone needs to count steps, maybe?”
[21:58] <DM_Tol> Each mark is some 30 ft apart. Ahead of you down below, you see the end of the stairs.
[22:00] <^ThEeYe^> ( night all, im way too tired)
[22:00] <Ash> “I think we might be in trouble soon. One of the murals depicted a long hallway that filled up with a wall of flame followed by spikes from the ceiling.
[22:00] * ^ThEeYe^ (ThEeYe@sorcery-e1esk2.cable.rogers.com) Quit (Quit: )
[22:02] <Dylan> “Oh..”
[22:03] <Dylan> “Let me go first in case there are traps. Follow me after 6 feet.”
[22:03] <Khophus> “Well – I'm not afraid of fire.”
[22:03] <DM_Tol> At the end of the stairs, there is a short hall, ceiling still 6ft high, cut stone. 20ft ahead is a stone door.
[22:03] <DM_Tol> (marching order plz)
[22:03] <DM_Tol> (include theriand)
[22:03] * Miri will be last.
[22:03] * Dylan heads down the hall towards the door
[22:03] <Khophus> (I'm second)
[22:03] * Dylan leads
[22:03] * Ash looks up at the ceiling to see if there are holes where spikes could pop out.
[22:03] <Ash> (Third)
[22:04] <Dylan> (that would make theriand 4th)
[22:04] <Khophus> (Who's first)
[22:04] <Miri> (dylan)
[22:04] <Dylan> (please no abbot and castillo)
[22:05] <Miri> (to be fair, that is the best damn comedic routine in history)
[22:06] <DM_Tol> Dylan the stone door ahead of you is ajar, though it looks VERY heavy.
[22:07] <Khophus> (Wanna open this jar of pickles?)
[22:09] <DM_Tol> The tunnel remains about 6ft wide and high, smooth floor, claustrophohically shaft-like.
[22:09] <DM_Tol> (really liking that show, Khophus)
[22:10] <Khophus> (Good - nice to know someone here got that reference)
[22:11] * Dylan waits by the door for everyone to join him
[22:11] <DM_Tol> (something like this: http://cdn.thebolditalic.com/paperclip/html_images/30660/images/three_column/Long-Tunnel-vert.png?1385262944 )
[22:12] * Khophus switches out his long sword for his short sword
[22:12] <Ash> (Well that looks unpleasant)
[22:14] <DM_Tol> ( lol . So sorry… I’ll try and spruce up the dungeon crawl scenery for ya)
[22:14] <Ash> (LOL)
[22:15] <DM_Tol> You bunch in front of the door.
[22:17] <Dylan> “So do we open it?”
[22:17] <Ash> “Yes”
[22:17] <Ash> “But see if you can find any traps.”
[22:18] <DM_Tol> Above the door frame, there is faint etchings.
[22:18] * Khophus puts a hand on Dylan to drag him back if I need to…
[22:18] <Dylan> “Any idea what those markings say?”
[22:18] * Dylan point
[22:18] <Dylan> points*
[22:19] * Khophus looks up.
[22:20] <DM_Tol> (am I correct that after just scanning y’all’s CS’s no one knows Dwarvish?)
[22:21] <Ash> (That's probably true, it's not easy to pick up extra languages.)
[22:21] <Dylan> (nope)
[22:22] <Dylan> (someone might have a spell for that?)
[22:22] <Khophus> (I barely have common down…)
[22:22] <DM_Tol> Theriand looks up at the writing, “Let me through!”
[22:22] <DM_Tol> (y’all got lucky)
[22:23] <DM_Tol> Theriand: “It’s some type of Dethek. But ancient maybe? I can’t read it.”
[22:23] <DM_Tol> Theriand: “One word there, I think that’s, well, ‘password’.”
[22:24] <Dylan> (whats the elvish word for friend?)
[22:24] <DM_Tol> ( Bel lok)
[22:25] <DM_Tol> Theriand shrugs and moves back to 4th place.
[22:25] * Khophus scrambles back
[22:25] <Dylan> “Password…“
[22:26] <Dylan> “Do we pry it open or try to figure out the password?”
[22:27] <Ash> Well based on the mural, trying to open it would be painful if it's a trap.
[22:27] <DM_Tol> The heavy-looking stone door in front of you is slightly ajar.
[22:27] <Dylan> “It appears someone opened it already though?”
[22:28] * Dylan pulls on the door
[22:28] * Ash braces himself for the worse.
[22:28] <DM_Tol> You push on the door and it doesn’t budge.
[22:30] <Miri> (he pulled, not pushed, donno if that makes a difference tho.)
[22:31] <Khophus> “Need help?”
[22:31] <Dylan> “Yes please”
[22:33] * Khophus pushes the door, putting all of his weight and muscles behind it
[22:33] <Khophus> (Str check?)
[22:33] * Ash assists if there is enough room.
[22:34] <DM_Tol> (I corrected from my insufficient description… the door clearly is pushed)
[22:34] <Miri> (aah ok. sorry)
[22:34] <DM_Tol> Two of you budge the door, as it creaks with age and weight. While you could’ve squeezed through, now you can easliy pass through.
[22:35] <Dylan> “I will go through first. Wait for a count of three then follow me”
[22:35] * Khophus steps back, looking over his shoulder.
[22:35] <Khophus> “Right. Three count and follow.”
[22:35] * Dylan goes through the door cautiously
[22:36] <Khophus> “1…“
[22:36] <Khophus> “2…“
[22:37] <Khophus> “3…“
[22:37] * Khophus steps in, shield raised and short sword ready.
[22:37] <DM_Tol> You move through the doorway and the tunnel shifts to the right, curving tightly. Darkness is beyond.
[22:39] <DM_Tol> As you bring the torchlight around, you see the tunnel moves straight ahead off into the distance.
[22:39] * Khophus keeps moviing so as to not block the escape
[22:39] <Khophus> (unlike the people in the grocery store)
[22:39] <Khophus> “See anything?”
[22:40] <Dylan> “No”
[22:42] <Khophus> “Need a torch?”
[22:43] <DM_Tol> Theriand casts light onto a stone and hands it to Dylan
[22:44] <Dylan> “Thank you”
[22:44] * Dylan once again tentatively leads
[22:44] <DM_Tol> The tunnel moves ahead for 60ft.
[22:45] <DM_Tol> (roll perception)
[22:46] <DM_Tol> There is a new scent on this level of the tunnel. As some of you pass through the door, on the wall to the side you see a familiar marking:
[22:46] <DM_Tol>
[22:47] <Khophus> (What's the scent?)
[22:47] <DM_Tol> (you can roll nature to ID it)
[22:47] <Dylan> 1d20
[22:47] <TolBot> Dylan's 1d20(12)]: 12
[22:47] <DM_Tol> Dylan 30ft ahead you easily spot a pit.
[22:48] * Miri stands in the back trying to write her name in flames with her sword, not hitting things was getting increasingly boring.
[22:49] <Dylan> (can i go around it?)
[22:49] <Khophus> 1d20-1 What's that smell? I showered last night…
[22:49] <TolBot> Khophus's 1d20(14)-1 'What's that smell? I showered last night…']: 13
[22:49] <Dylan> “There's a pit ahead.”
[22:51] <Khophus> “Deep one?”
[22:51] <Dylan> “I don't know, but I'd rather not learn by falling down it”
[22:52] <DM_Tol> As you move forward, you see a pit that spans nearly the whole width of the tunnel, and goes for 15 ft. Down 35ft below is a wet bottom of the pit.
[22:53] <DM_Tol> As you peer into the pit, you see a couple skeletal figures, as the scent, acidic in nature, is strong.
[22:53] <DM_Tol> * As this session of Heroes of Azod comes to a close *

campaigns/the_forth/session_14_-_10-22-2017_-_tunnels.txt · Last modified: 2017/10/27 15:32 (external edit)