Grovewood Saga

Roll Softly, Hit harder. . .

User Tools

Site Tools


campaigns:harl_s_mad_temple_delight:session_38_-_1-20-2019

[19:46] <DM_ToA> When last we left our group – they have braved the City of Omu and come to a flooded temple with dead bodies and hungry crocidiles floating in the brackish water.
[19:47] * Magestar is now known as Ash
[19:47] * Ash is now known as Ash-
[19:47] <DM_ToA> ( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19M9vk5owwQfsmuvcrzGW22O_bEbFE6WVfHVwgpj38Oo/edit#gid=1263296435 )
[19:47] <DM_ToA> (place yourself where you are)
[19:47] * Sentagur is now known as Terres
[19:48] <May> (You guys played without me last week so I am a little out of sorts)
[19:48] <Miri> (there was no game last week)
[19:49] <DM_ToA> (Unless they did something without me…and everyone got XP for it)
[19:50] <May> (The week before that I mean……..)
[19:50] <@Ash→ (I don't know where this is, so I don't know where to place myself.)
[19:50] <Terres> (are we on left or right bank?)
[19:50] <DM_ToA> Almost all the corpses have arrows sticking out of them.
[19:50] <DM_ToA> (Left bank)
[19:50] * Tolman is now known as Stolanimus
[19:51] <DM_ToA> Some have some bite marks, rimmed with black and bloated in the water.
[19:51] <Terres> (the last thing i remember finding a river with crocs chomping on bodies)
[19:51] <Stolanimus> (me too)
[19:51] <May> (I don't.)
[19:52] <@Ash→ (I recall the gators too)
[19:52] <Miri> (just a reminder, Ash Stol, Dylan Terres and Kay each has a superior healing potion)
[19:52] <Terres> (and Stol offered distracting the crocs the only way another croc can do)
[19:52] <DM_ToA> (Hot croc-on-croc action?)
[19:53] <Miri> (have not has, gammar, yay)
[19:54] <DM_ToA> The crocodiles lazily drift in the water. Flies buzz back and forth, alighting on a body and then buzzing away.
[19:54] * Terres looks up and down river for any way to cross and for any signs of who did the killing
[19:54] * May is terrified of this situation, obviously. Even without the herpetophobia, man-eating crocs be scary.
[19:55] <DM_ToA> Terres – the water itself isn't very deep – 2 ft at the worst, but there is no visible way to ford it.
[19:55] <@Ash→ “I think I can handle this one.”
[19:55] * Stolanimus looks to see how many crocs can see.
[19:55] <DM_ToA> One croc lunges and grabs a corpse. It thrashes the body back and forth, pulling off a chunk of flesh and chewing it nosily.
[19:56] <Terres> (2 feet… thats almost 3 crocs stacked o top of eachother… we might be swarmed)
[19:56] <DM_ToA> Stol – 4 crocs can be seen.
[19:56] * Miri whispers he command word to light her sword.
[19:57] <DM_ToA> *Foosh*
[19:57] <May> (Where is this on the omu map?)
[19:58] * Stolanimus casts barkskin
[19:58] <DM_ToA> (https://media-waterdeep.cursecdn.com/attachments/2/897/304a.jpg)
[19:58] <Terres> “Should we try distracting the crocs before we cross over or are we fighting them?”
[19:58] <Stolanimus> (I wish there was a �you ar here� on that map
[19:59] * May hides behind a tree, peering out at the water.
[19:59] <Miri> (north east near the top of the water i think)
[19:59] * May is now known as kAYALIA
[19:59] * kAYALIA is now known as Kayalia
[19:59] * Ash- steps near the water's edge, and Channels Divinity to charm the beasts.
[20:00] <@Ash→ (DC 13 Wis save for all 4 of them, or they are charmed for a minute)
[20:00] * Dylan (Dylan@sorcery-j74.n8k.196.112.IP) has joined #grovewood
[20:00] <Miri> (hi dylan)
[20:00] <Dylan> (good morning)
[20:01] <DM_ToA> 1d20 DC 13
[20:01] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 1d20(?) 'DC 13']: 7
[20:01] <DM_ToA> 1d20 DC 13
[20:01] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 1d20(?) 'DC 13']: 20
[20:01] <DM_ToA> 1d20 DC 13
[20:01] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 1d20(?) 'DC 13']: 15
[20:01] <DM_ToA> 1d20 DC 13
[20:01] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 1d20(?) 'DC 13']: 6
[20:02] <DM_ToA> Two of the crocs swim closer to you, but stay a good distance away. The other two don't seem to regard you.
[20:02] * Terres finds a spot in the river 30 feet away and casts minor illusion causing splashing sounds from that spot trying to distract the crocs
[20:02] <@Ash→ “That might be what we need, let's cross now, before they become agitated, but try to avoid them.
[20:03] * Ash- crosses near the friendly crocs.
[20:03] * Ash- also gets ready to channel again, if needed.
[20:03] * Terres gets ready to cross
[20:03] * Miri will take up the rear of the group crossing.
[20:04] * Kayalia frets behind the tree, and sizes up the distance to run.
[20:04] <DM_ToA> Terres what's the DC of the illusion?)
[20:04] <DM_ToA> (Or save)
[20:04] <Terres> (they just hear the sound, they have to examin it with dc 14 wisdom check to determin its an illusion)
[20:05] <DM_ToA> (ok)
[20:05] * Stolanimus morphs into a Giant Snake and quietly slips into the water, guarding the party.
[20:05] <DM_ToA> The other two crocs swim off in the direction of the splashing sounds.
[20:05] <Terres> (sorry its investigate intelligence check not wis)
[20:05] <Dylan> (oh right, we are supposed to cross a crocadile water?)
[20:05] <DM_ToA> 1d20 DC 14
[20:05] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 1d20(?) 'DC 14']: 6
[20:05] <DM_ToA> 1d20 DC 14
[20:05] <Miri> (yes, and ash charmed two of the crocs so we are crossing while they are charmed)
[20:05] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 1d20(?) 'DC 14']: 18
[20:06] <Terres> “Well shall we, there is no time like the present”
[20:06] * Dylan follows to cross
[20:07] <DM_ToA> One croc paddles away…the other remains.
[20:07] * Terres carefull tries to cross the river without making too much noise
[20:07] <Terres> (hopefully they are satiated on all the corpses here)
[20:08] <@Ash→ “Also stay close together, they will likely not attack a large group, with easy meals nearby.
[20:08] <DM_ToA> (anyone making Stealthly moves, roll Stealth at disadvantage)
[20:08] <Miri> Xanth will cross in the middle of hte group, trying to stay quiet.
[20:08] <Terres> 1d20+1 disadvantage
[20:08] <TolBot> Terres's 1d20(6, 20)+1 'disadvantage']: 7
[20:09] <Terres> (why do i even try)
[20:09] <Miri> 1d20+2 disadvantage for xanth
[20:09] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(7, 12)+2 'disadvantage for xanth']: 9
[20:09] <DM_ToA> Terres – you stumble badly, even in water that is comparatively deep for you.
[20:09] * Kayalia frowns and rushes to catch up to the group at water's edge, then tries to slip into the middle of the formation and hide her presence. (They don't see me. They don't see me! they don't see me!!!)
[20:09] <Dylan> 1d20+4 disadvantage
[20:09] <TolBot> Dylan's 1d20(2, 6)+4 'disadvantage']: 6
[20:10] <Kayalia> 1d20+4 disadvantage stealth
[20:10] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(5, 10)+4 'disadvantage stealth']: 9
[20:10] <DM_ToA> (DM's suggestion: Don't…just…just don't)
[20:10] <Kayalia> (we all fail so bad)
[20:10] <@Ash→ (I didn't even try)
[20:10] <Miri> (miri didn't either, miri is moving normal at the back of the group)
[20:11] <Dylan> (my phone is dead and on this trip i learned why chromebooks suck)
[20:11] <DM_ToA> The charmed crocs are close, but they're not making aggressive moves. The only uncharmed croc regards you all, but doesn't move.
[20:11] <DM_ToA> (what happened with the chromebook?)
[20:11] <Stolanimus> (you mean you get what you pay for, Dylan?)
[20:12] * Ash- hurries across, before abilities and distractions come to an end.
[20:12] <Dylan> (its requiring two step authentication and i dont have access to my phone number in india)
[20:12] <Stolanimus> (that IS a catch 22)
[20:12] <DM_ToA> (wow)
[20:13] <DM_ToA> (My chromebook doesn't require two step)
[20:13] <Dylan> (yeai will enable the app when i get back on the 22nd)
[20:13] * Stolanimus moves slowly, waiting for the rest of the group.
[20:13] <DM_ToA> (Are you going through the hole with the dead yuan-ti at the mouth)
[20:14] * Kayalia clings to the nearest person.
[20:14] * Terres investigates the other bank of the river after he crosses
[20:14] <Dylan> (i didnt have 1200$ for a new laptop though)
[20:15] <Terres> (that grey thing is a wall with two holes?)
[20:15] <Stolanimus> (I don�t know where i am)
[20:15] <DM_ToA> Terres yes)
[20:16] <Dylan> (is this going to require swimming or can i wade across?)
[20:16] * Terres gets closer to the wall and peaks through the opening
[20:16] <Miri> (is only 2 feet deep)
[20:16] <Stolanimus> (it is? oh. I may not have morphed then)
[20:16] * Dylan crosses to the other side
[20:16] <Stolanimus> (doh)
[20:17] <Miri> (i thought that's what the dm said)
[20:17] <Dylan> (brb)
[20:17] <Stolanimus> (I�m sure he did)
[20:18] <DM_ToA> (I did – 2 ft deep)
[20:19] <DM_ToA> The charmed crocs float along with you. the temple wall you see is dark grey and on the right hand side is a short staircase leading inside.
[20:21] <Terres> (are the dead snake people on this side fresh or do they look ripe?)
[20:21] * Kayalia is as white as a ghost, being followed by crocs and also trailing beside a large snake.
[20:22] <DM_ToA> (Do you head for the stairs?)
[20:23] * Miri will move from the back of the group to the front to head for the stairs.
[20:23] <Terres> (waiting for someone to take the lead)
[20:23] * Terres follows Miri
[20:23] * Ash- heads for the stairs.
[20:23] <DM_ToA> As you walk through the water, the corpses become far more frequent. Yuan-ti have burns and scroch marks on them. Almost all the robed figures and native porters have arrows sticking out of them.
[20:24] <DM_ToA> (https://imgur.com/a/4O84tux – temple)
[20:24] <@Ash→ “Be ready for something worse than crocodiles.”
[20:24] <Kayalia> “I can d-deal with people…“
[20:24] <DM_ToA> The two charmed crocs leave you.
[20:25] <DM_ToA> Moss clings to the stonework throughout this hall. The mosaic floor depicts a tall bird using its long, pointy beak to pin a monstrous frog-like creature with tentacles sprouting from its shoulders. Set into the far wall is a set of heavy stone doors.
[20:25] * Stolanimus moves up behind the group.
[20:25] * Terres looks at an old inscriptions and reads: “Papazotl teaches us to bow before no one.”
[20:26] <DM_ToA> The bodies are far more yuan-ti than robes ones at this point. The walls bear the marks of magical battle: burns, warped stone and melted bones.
[20:26] * Kayalia makes it onto the stairs, presumeably?
[20:26] <Terres> “Looks like someone beat us to this shrine”
[20:27] <DM_ToA> (roleplay amonst yourselves, making map)
[20:28] * Kayalia seems to be wipng tears from her eyes with her sleeves, now that they are out of the immediate reptile threat.
[20:28] <Miri> “lets just hope they haven't beaten us to the cube we need to get.”
[20:28] <Terres> “I wonder if we will find the cube still here”
[20:29] * Stolanimus slithers to the entrance and assues a sentry position.
[20:30] <Kayalia> “We can check. We weren't the first to that one shrine where someone had been using natives to trigger traps, but still got a cube, if I recall.”
[20:31] <@Ash→ “If they did get the cube, it would behoove us to determine who got it. For all we know, it could be outside or in the stomach of a crocodile now.
[20:31] * Miri grins to ash “i'm willing to find out if you are.”
[20:33] <Kayalia> “I would hate to think we went through that… for nothing…“
[20:36] <Dylan> “We should track down whoever else is in after these cubes, maybe we can work together with them towards our goal”
[20:37] <Miri> “I am not sure they would feel to work together, also, i think we have been finding them along the way” gestures to the dead boies.
[20:37] * Dylan shrugs
[20:37] <Kayalia> “Do you think there is any nefarious reason to gather the cubes? Something other than stopping soulmonger?”
[20:38] <Miri> “No clue, none of us in possision of one have spent enough time with them to find out.”
[20:38] <DM_ToA> (map is up)
[20:39] <Kayalia> “Perhaps they simply hold value? I am just not sure why people are killing each other over the chance to raid these temples.”
[20:40] <DM_ToA> As you all walk up the steps – you see a bronzen plaque above the heavy stone doors.
[20:40] * Dylan shrugs
[20:40] <Dylan> “If we can work with them we should do that, if they have nefarious purposes…“
[20:41] * Dylan points to the word engrave on his sword (justice)
[20:41] <Dylan> “They shall meet Justice”
[20:41] * Kayalia looks at the plaque for text.
[20:41] * Miri looks at hte plaque as well.
[20:41] * Terres looks over the plaque and the statues
[20:42] <DM_ToA> (The doors are closed – all you can see is the plaques)
[20:44] <DM_ToA> (Who wants to try the doors?)
[20:45] * Ash- examines the doors for any sign of traps or recent use or tampering.
[20:45] <Kayalia> (So no text/symbology on the plaque?)
[20:46] * Kayalia assists in trapfinding.
[20:46] <DM_ToA> (Yes, but you can't read it)
[20:46] <DM_ToA> (ash, roll investigation with adv)
[20:46] <@Ash→ 1d20+2 advantage
[20:46] <TolBot> Ash-'s 1d20(1, 3)+2 'advantage']: 5
[20:46] <@Ash→ (WOW)
[20:46] <Miri> (ouch)
[20:46] <Kayalia> :X
[20:47] <Kayalia> (I woulda only done slightly better at +3)
[20:47] <Dylan> (o.O)
[20:47] <DM_ToA> There are no visible traps.
[20:47] <Dylan> “Guidance, sir Priest?”
[20:47] * Miri shrugs, moves in and kicks at the doors.
[20:48] <Dylan> 1d20+3 + 1d4
[20:48] <TolBot> Dylan's 1d20(?)+3 '+ 1d4']: 19
[20:48] <DM_ToA> Ash turns and says “all clear!”. Camera pans up to show a wickedly gleaming blade right before it drops)
[20:48] <DM_ToA> The doors do no budge.
[20:48] * Ash- looks over at Dylan then a glance over to Miri as she kicks the door.
[20:48] <@Ash→ <guidance>
[20:48] <DM_ToA> Miri – strength?)
[20:48] <Terres> “it says Papazotl teaches us to bow before no one.”
[20:49] <Miri> (want me to roll it or need the number?)
[20:49] <Kayalia> (Have we taken a long rest since the battle with the other adventurers?)
[20:49] <Miri> (yes)
[20:49] <DM_ToA> The door doesn't move for Miri either…
[20:49] <Kayalia> (k then I am attuned to some stuff)
[20:50] * Kayalia apparently has blindsight out to 30 feet and cannot be surprised
[20:53] <DM_ToA> (Anyone else going to try the door?)
[20:53] * Dylan sighs
[20:53] * Dylan helps Miri
[20:54] <@Ash→ <guidance>
[20:54] <Kayalia> (can I try though I helped already?)
[20:54] <Dylan> (lemme check my str bonus.. i miss my desktop)
[20:54] <Kayalia> (for traps that is?)
[20:55] * Terres examines the door trying to figure out how it opens
[20:55] <DM_ToA> (everyone who tries – give me your Strength score)
[20:55] <Miri> (16)
[20:56] <Terres> (a strong dwarven 10)
[20:56] <Kayalia> (my str is garbage… 8… not pushing it lol)
[20:56] <DM_ToA> As Miri pushes against the door, it scrapes slightly against the stone.
[20:56] <Stolanimus> (afk a few)
[20:56] <DM_ToA> Terres joins in and the grinding sound continues…picking up pace…and finally the doors open.
[20:57] * Terres looks at Miri and says “Thanks for the help”
[20:57] * Miri glares at terres “don't make me gut you little man.”
[20:58] <Terres> “Promises promises…“
[20:58] <DM_ToA> An empty pedestal stands in the middle of this chamber. Six statues face it from alcoves on the walls. They depict bare-chested humans with the heads of different animals. From left to right, the heads resemble those of a lizard, a jaguar, a lobster, a toucan, a bat, and a frog.
[20:59] <Dylan> “Looks emptu”
[20:59] <Dylan> (empty)
[21:00] <Miri> “So did many of the others.” moves to look closer at the statues.
[21:00] * Ash- points at the toucan.
[21:00] <@Ash→ “That one bows to no other.”
[21:00] <Terres> 1d20+3 vs DC12
[21:00] <TolBot> Terres's 1d20(?)+3 'vs DC12']: 23 (Critical success)
[21:00] * Stolanimus is now known as Stolstrictor
[21:00] <Terres> ( i see this is going to be a roler coaster)
[21:01] <DM_ToA> (I think Stol has more fun trying to wedge his name into the name of the creature he's changed into)
[21:01] <Kayalia> (Where is thre plaque?)
[21:02] * Terres gets closer the the pedastal and reads : Comes with Sunshine, Leaves with night, hides in darkness, does not bite, Always joined to its caster, never strays from its master”
[21:02] <DM_ToA> (on the pedistal)
[21:02] <Miri> “a shadow”
[21:02] <DM_ToA> (everyone turns and looks at Miri in amazement)
[21:03] <Miri> (hey i have an intelegence of 13, i know what i'm doing sometimes :P)
[21:03] * Ash- turns to look at Miri.
[21:03] <Terres> “Now to figure out how that helps us”
[21:03] <Miri> “what?”
[21:04] <Terres> “Someone light up a torch and check if the shadows are behaving as they should in here”
[21:05] <Terres> (not sure i have any torches)
[21:05] <Miri> “I already have my sword lit” moves it around a bit.
[21:05] <DM_ToA> (Show me where you are going, Miri)
[21:06] * Terres tries to stand between Miri and the pedastal so his shadow covers the pedastal
[21:06] * Kayalia looks around for trap mechanisms on the statue and in the main room.
[21:06] <Kayalia> (statues*)
[21:06] <Miri> (moved myself on the map)
[21:07] <DM_ToA> roll perception Kay
[21:07] <Kayalia> 1d20+6 perception
[21:07] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(?)+6 'perception']: 22
[21:07] <@Ash→ (which statue is of the Toucan?)
[21:07] <DM_ToA> (Do you have a torch, May?)
[21:08] <Kayalia> (no, but I have a lamp and dancing light spell, if Miri's sword ain't good enough)
[21:09] <Miri> (sword sheds bright light for 40 feet)
[21:09] <Miri> (and dim light for another 40)
[21:10] * Kayalia crouches down beside the 'bat'…
[21:10] <Kayalia> “There's a crawlspace here, apparently. Should I try to see where it goes?”
[21:11] * Ash- examines the toucan statue.
[21:12] <Terres> “Be carefull the plaque at the entrance said Bow to no one”
[21:12] <DM_ToA> It looks slightly horrifying to be honest. A beak that big looks more like a dagger than a beak.
[21:12] <DM_ToA> (Kay, where are you on the map?)
[21:13] <Kayalia> (wherever the bat statue is apparently)
[21:13] <@Ash→ “Agreed, kneeling for a crawlspace sounds like a trap.
[21:14] <Kayalia> “Very well.”
[21:14] * Kayalia backs out of it.
[21:14] <DM_ToA> (Everything sounds like a trap here.)
[21:14] <Terres> (and whos fault is tha?)
[21:15] <DM_ToA> (Whoever wrote “Tomb of Annihilation”)
[21:16] <Kayalia> “Where did it say bow to nobody?”
[21:16] <Terres> “The plaque at the entrance door”
[21:17] * Kayalia thought there was no readable plaque by the entrance…
[21:17] <Terres> (A plaque above the shrine entrance displays an inscription in Old Omuan: �Papazotl teaches us to bow before no one.� )
[21:18] <Terres> (<this guy can read everything)
[21:18] <DM_ToA> (and on the pedistal in the center of hte room that gives you the riddle that Miri answered without a second thought)
[21:19] <Miri> (sorry not sorry :P)
[21:19] * Kayalia looks up at the ceiling
[21:19] <@Ash→ (Well her nick is usually Shaddow)
[21:19] <DM_ToA> (normal ceiling)
[21:19] * Kayalia checks around for additional mechanisms, triggers, and secret passages.
[21:19] <DM_ToA> (roll investigation)
[21:20] <DM_ToA> (anyone going down the passage)
[21:20] <Kayalia> 1d20+3 investigation
[21:20] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(?)+3 'investigation']: 14
[21:20] <Terres> (well technically the tunnel is behind the statue so you could bow behind someone just not in front of them)
[21:20] <DM_ToA> (other than the passage, nothing else)
[21:20] * Ash- takes a more indepth look at the toucan, particularly the beak. (Checking if it opens at all)
[21:20] <DM_ToA> (Nope)
[21:21] <Terres> (there are no signs of fighting inside here? only outside?)
[21:21] <DM_ToA> (Patriots and Rams Superbowl…[censored] me.)
[21:22] <DM_ToA> (No, no one was able to breach the doors)
[21:22] <Terres> (yaay sportsball)
[21:22] <Dylan> “Hmm”
[21:22] <@Ash→ “So we have something with bowing and a shadow.”
[21:22] <Dylan> (so the patriots are gonna win another superbowl you say?)
[21:23] <DM_ToA> (…*sigh*…yeah…)
[21:23] <Miri> (brb)
[21:23] <Dylan> (ugh LA is gonna be crazy when i get back)
[21:23] <DM_ToA> (You mean beyond the everyday craziness?)
[21:23] <Dylan> (has anyone examined the pedestal?)
[21:24] <Dylan> (luckily the superbowl isnt held in LA)
[21:24] <Terres> (i did read the plaque on it, and checked my shadow on it)
[21:24] <Kayalia> “You got me. We got some statues, a passage, and some teachnings about not bowing and shadows.”
[21:26] <Terres> “Well it looks like the passage is our only option”
[21:26] * Dylan rubs his chin
[21:27] <@Ash→ “What about that shadow clue?”
[21:27] <Miri> (bhack)
[21:27] <Dylan> “So we have this crawlspace and statues?”
[21:27] <Kayalia> “So who will go in, then?”
[21:27] <@Ash→ (Since it didn't look like the playing with flames thing went very far)
[21:28] <Terres> ( dont have a torch to check the shadows of the pedastal)
[21:28] <Dylan> “I will”
[21:29] * Kayalia leads Dylan to the tunnel, then.
[21:29] * Dylan follows and goes through the crawlspace
[21:30] <Terres> “Hmm there is an outline of a hatch on this thing!”
[21:31] <@Ash→ (If you keep entering the numbers, the island won't explode… wait…wrong series)
[21:31] <Miri> (lol)
[21:31] <DM_ToA> As you go down the rather snug crawlspace…you come to a room with a grid etched on the far wall.
[21:32] * Dylan looks at the grid
[21:32] <DM_ToA> (If I could just look at Chris's TV watching and the time it took to write this…just sayin')
[21:33] * Ash- waits by the statues.
[21:33] <DM_ToA> (brb)
[21:33] <Dylan> 1d20+1 + 1d4
[21:33] <TolBot> Dylan's 1d20(?)+1 '+ 1d4']: 4
[21:33] <Dylan> (no thatrolled wrong)
[21:33] <Dylan> 1d20+1 +1d4
[21:33] <TolBot> Dylan's 1d20(?)+1 '+1d4']: 12
[21:33] * Terres tries to cast his shadow over the hatch to make it look like a bunny
[21:36] <Kayalia> “Everything okay down there?”
[21:36] <Dylan> “So far so good, there's a wall thing here I am looking at”
[21:40] <Kayalia> “Anyone to do, there?”
[21:40] <Kayalia> anything*
[21:41] <@Ash→ “I still think we are missing something with this shadow bit. Perhaps we have to somehow get a shadow down there using a light source?
[21:42] <DM_ToA> (oh, I have to give you this: this is the grid on the wall: https://media-waterdeep.cursecdn.com/attachments/2/952/ph16.png)
[21:43] <Dylan> “A grid of tiles, but i dont see anything written on the tiles?”
[21:44] <DM_ToA> (some of the tiles are a little darker than the others)
[21:44] <DM_ToA> (just like in the handout I posted)
[21:45] <Dylan> “Some tiles are darker than others”
[21:45] * Kayalia twirls a lock of hair in thought.
[21:46] * Ash- patiently waits.
[21:46] <Dylan> “Thats about it.. its safe in here if anyone wants to come through”
[21:46] * Ash- actually decides to check out the pedistal.
[21:49] <Dylan> “Does anyone has a writing impliment?”
[21:49] <Dylan> “Do I ?”
[21:49] * Dylan checks his pack
[21:49] <Kayalia> “I have an inkpen.”
[21:50] <Dylan> “Can I get it?”
[21:50] * Kayalia produces an inkwell and pen from her bag and delivers it to Dylan in the crawlspace. “What are you doing?”
[21:51] * @Stolstrictor slithers to check the entrance and then back to the center.
[21:51] <Dylan> “I think this wall thing is one of those .. uhmm what do you call them? its in the heroes stories all the time, they help you solve puzzles”
[21:52] * Dylan takes the pen
[21:52] <Kayalia> “Hero story puzzler solver..? Never heard of it.”
[21:53] * Ash- walks the perimeter of the pedestal and hatch, looking for clues.
[21:53] <Dylan> “Codax?”
[21:53] <Dylan> “Dexco?”
[21:54] <Dylan> “a key?”
[21:54] * Dylan returns
[21:55] <Dylan> “When I wrote the riddle on the wall, there were darkened tiles. THe letters in the darkened tiles spelled “cover the eyes”
[21:55] * Dylan looks around at the statues
[21:55] <Dylan> “So I guess since the only eyes that are a part of the temple here are these statues, so I guess we are supposed to cover the eyes of the statues”
[21:55] <Kayalia> “Huh.”
[21:56] <Dylan> (delhi is the most polluted city in the world, all of this dust and pollution… *wheeze*)
[21:56] <Kayalia> “I'd have never thought to do that.”
[21:56] <Terres> (eyes+shadows? anyone got any mascara handy?)
[21:57] <DM_ToA> (makes L.A. smell like fresh country air?)
[21:57] <DM_ToA> (Smoky eyes are sooooo in here in Chult)
[21:57] <@Ash→ “So we have to cover eyes?”
[21:57] <Kayalia> (I have some)
[21:57] <Dylan> “I think thats what it is directing us to do yea”
[21:58] <Dylan> “Blondfold them?”
[21:59] * Terres check the statue to see if it can be rotated
[21:59] <DM_ToA> (Not with your strength)
[21:59] <Terres> (but i am wirey)
[21:59] * Dylan takes an old shirt from his pack cuts it up and blindfolds all the statues
[22:00] <Kayalia> “Are we only supposed to blindfold a certain one?”
[22:01] <Dylan> “Nothing to indicate that, my old pa used to tell me 'keep it simple'. So it says cover the eyes, I cover the eyes”
[22:04] <DM_ToA> (So everyone covers the eyes?)
[22:04] <Miri> (i thought dylan was blindfolding them all)
[22:04] <@Stolstrictor> (PSA: don�t forget to glance at the moon. the eclipse has started (not you, Dylan)
[22:04] <DM_ToA> (thanks)
[22:05] <Dylan> (hahah thanks i'll remember not to look for the moon at 930 am :P)
[22:07] <DM_ToA> Dylan scrambles up each of the statues, armed with only strands of cloth…
[22:07] <DM_ToA> The pedestal rotates, and an ornate stone cube emerges from a hatch on its surface.
[22:08] <@Ash→ “Huh. I never would have figured that out.”
[22:08] * Terres nods to Ash “this one is yours”
[22:09] <Miri> “you take it terres, ash already has two”
[22:09] * Terres shrugs and grabs the cube
[22:10] <DM_ToA> (ta-da!)
[22:10] <@Stolstrictor> (where did we get that �When i wrote the riddle� message�
[22:10] <Miri> “well, seven cubes gotten, two left.”
[22:10] <@Ash→ “I agree with Miri I already have enough.”
[22:11] <Dylan> “Ok, so what are we gonna do to make sure we dont get hit by another ambush when we get out of this temple?”
[22:12] <Kayalia> “I wonder what the bit about the shadow was…“
[22:13] <Kayalia> “Or the bit about not bowing…“
[22:13] <Terres> “no Idea”
[22:14] <Miri> “shall we head out?”
[22:14] <Terres> “Might as well, but i expect another ambush!”
[22:15] * @Stolstrictor heads to the exit first.
[22:15] <DM_ToA> (you should have eight…I'm looking through here and I can't think of another shrine you all have skipped)
[22:15] <Miri> (i only have 7 in my notes)
[22:15] <Miri> (including this one)
[22:15] <DM_ToA> The water is still choked with bodies, but none of them are alive.
[22:16] <Terres> (I have Wongo, I'jin , Papazotl Cubes)
[22:16] <Miri> (you have three cubes now?)
[22:16] <Terres> (according to my notes)
[22:16] <Miri> (then i did miss one)
[22:17] <@Ash→ (I have 2 here)
[22:17] <Dylan> “7?”
[22:17] <DM_ToA> (No – you're right. You should only have seven)
[22:17] <DM_ToA> (I was looking at one of the other shrines and thinking you'd done it.)
[22:17] <DM_ToA> (My bad)
[22:17] <Miri> (i have in my notes, ash 2, dylan 2, miri 1, and terres two including this one)
[22:18] <Miri> (i did not however keept track of the names of the temples we've been to. sorry.)
[22:18] <DM_ToA> (don't worry, I have the last two here…then the fun really begins)
[22:19] <Terres> (i got this reference if you want to figure out the names of your cubes https://media-waterdeep.cursecdn.com/attachments/2/894/302.png)
[22:20] <DM_ToA> The crocs don't regard you as you creep out into the water.
[22:20] * Terres looks around expecting an ambush again
[22:23] * Dylan looks around
[22:23] <Dylan> (what do I see around us?)
[22:23] <DM_ToA> The only sound you hear is the roar of the waterfall.
[22:23] <Dylan> (i wish i knew more… like i could get a lay of the land)
[22:23] <DM_ToA> ONly bobbing bodies, parts and content gators.
[22:23] <Miri> “well, where to now?”
[22:24] <Dylan> (which direction is the waterfall?)
[22:24] <DM_ToA> (North of you)
[22:24] <Dylan> “I wish I could get a vantage point to get a lay of the land.. like maybe a cliff or something I could climb up to see the whole city?”
[22:24] * Dylan looks for the waterfall
[22:25] <Dylan> “Maybe see what the roaring was? Get some warning of what might be ahead? Maybe spot where the other temples are? Anything?”
[22:25] * Kayalia wonders if the waterall would be a nice place to bathe or whatever, if this wasn't a murder-jungle.
[22:26] <@Ash→ “Too bad we can't levitate or fly.”
[22:26] <Terres> ( i really need to find a wandering spell component vendor)
[22:27] <Dylan> “Lets go look at the waterfall”
[22:27] <DM_ToA> (Batshit here! Batshit here! Don't ask how large the room is, just cast fireball! Batshit here!)
[22:27] <Terres> (isnt the waterfall the river falling into the lava pit?)
[22:28] <DM_ToA> (Yes, the flow from the waterfall is what's dropping into the lava pit)
[22:28] <Miri> (https://media-waterdeep.cursecdn.com/attachments/2/948/ph12.jpg)
[22:29] <DM_ToA> (country map)
[22:29] * @Stolstrictor slithers behind Ash.
[22:30] * Dylan heads north west towards the waterfall
[22:30] <Dylan> (north east)
[22:30] <DM_ToA> As you all slosh through the water…
[22:30] * Kayalia shudders as a snake slithers past.
[22:31] <DM_ToA> (as the snake slithers by, Stolanimus walks up to Kayalia and asks if she's doing OK)
[22:32] <Kayalia> (NOPE)
[22:32] <Terres> (uh oh… he is typing something long)
[22:32] * Dylan stops staring off into nowhere
[22:32] <DM_ToA> The water dazzles you all with spots of the early afternoon sun…
[22:33] <Dylan> “I see a vision…“
[22:33] * Ash- pays no mind to Stol slithering by. It's as if this is normal to him.
[22:34] <Dylan> A city of magnificent, whitewashed buildings stretches out before me. Sunlight sparkles off of glass domes and windows, yet all is not well. Black smoke coils from fires across the city, corpses litter the streets, and wraiths circle the rooftops like vultures. A sphere of utter darkness grows out from the heart of the city, blotting out the light
[22:34] <Dylan> as it expands toward me..”
[22:35] <DM_ToA> You all look around and see the round wall, and to it's left, you see what looks like another, smaller, shrine sitting in it's shadow.
[22:35] * Dylan seems gripped by the vision while staring at the waterfall
[22:35] * Miri glances between dylan and the smaller shrine “we need to get out of this jungle before we all go mad.”
[22:37] * Ash- looks at Dylan confused.
[22:37] <@Ash→ “I agree, the sooner we get this done and get out of here, I think the better we will all be for it.”
[22:37] <DM_ToA> As the course is plotted, visions are revealed and socks are taken off to dry…we come to the close of this episode of “Tomb of Annihilation”!

campaigns/harl_s_mad_temple_delight/session_38_-_1-20-2019.txt · Last modified: 2019/02/25 21:56 by ryubasteon