Grovewood Saga

Roll Softly, Hit harder. . .

User Tools

Site Tools


campaigns:harl_s_mad_temple_delight:session_32_-_12-2-2018

[19:43] <Harlequin_J_Goat> When last we left our group – they have braved three of the nine trapped temples for the enigmatic keys to gain access to the metaphysical threat within the Lost City of Omu. Will they continue to press their luck, or will the city swallow more souls? This episode of “The Tomb of Annihilation” begins!
[19:43] * Shaddow is now known as Miri
[19:43] * Harlequin_J_Goat is now known as ToA_DM
[19:44] <ToA_DM> (map of Omu: https://media-waterdeep.cursecdn.com/attachments/2/948/ph12.jpg)
[19:45] * Sentagur is now known as Terres
[19:46] <Miri> (4)
[19:46] <Miri> (*hides from the dms wrath*)
[19:48] <Miri> “How long has it been since we slept?”
[19:49] <May> “Probably a week or so at this point since I've had a good night's sleep.”
[19:49] * May is now known as Kayalia
[19:49] <ToA_DM> 1d6: 5
[19:50] <ToA_DM> (yes!)
[19:50] <Terres> “Whats more important is what was thatroar outside”
[19:50] <ToA_DM> 1d4: 3
[19:51] * Kayalia stretches and adjusts her sore shoulders. “As much as I'd like to know what it was, well, I don't really want to meet whatever it was.”
[19:51] <Terres> (im not liking this, he's too happy)
[19:51] <Dylan}> (do we want to take a long rest or a short rest?)
[19:51] <Kayalia> (agreed…)
[19:51] <Miri> “Shall we at least try to rest? I don't know about you all but i could use a break.”
[19:51] * ToA_DM (enoonerehwo@sorcery-2veg05.res.rr.com) Quit (Connection closed)
[19:51] <Terres> “Rest sounds good right now”
[19:52] * ToA_DM (enoonerehwo@sorcery-2veg05.res.rr.com) has joined #grovewood
[19:52] <ToA_DM> (That was weird)
[19:52] <Terres> (he was so excited he yanked out his network cables)
[19:53] <Miri> 1d12+3
[19:53] <Miri> (wrong window)
[19:56] <Dylan}> “I suppose rest is a good idea” (short rest or long rest?)
[19:56] <Miri> (long rest)
[19:56] <Terres> (we didnt do long in a while)
[19:57] <Miri> “i'll take first watch.”
[19:58] <ToA_DM> (The roar came from the north…and across the city)
[19:58] <Dylan}> (ok i'll take a middle watch)
[19:58] <ToA_DM> Miri takes first watch in the dying of the light)
[19:58] <Terres> (i can take last)
[19:59] <ToA_DM> Miri – your watch passes without incident)
[20:03] <@Ryu> (Sorry, I have to regretfully step out tonight, we have to wrap and stash gifts before the kids get home. :( sorry!)
[20:00] <Miri> (yay)
[20:00] <Miri> (i'll jager your char if needed)
[20:04] <@Ryu> (Dual DM/Miri Jaeger please. lol)
[20:01] <Miri> (hey i did ok last time! :( )
[20:05] <@Ryu> (I know Harl likes to use me for an information outlet when I'm not available thats why I said that :P )
[20:01] <Miri> (i know :D )
[20:02] <ToA_DM> (next watch?)
[20:03] <Terres> Dylan was middle)
[20:04] <Dylan}> (me)
[20:04] <ToA_DM> Dylan – as the moon rises overhead, you hear some rustling and scraping on the cobblestone roads.
[20:06] <ToA_DM> (Do you go look, or cast fireball?)
[20:06] * Dylan} listens for the noise
[20:06] <Dylan}> (perception check?)
[20:06] <ToA_DM> (yes)
[20:06] <Dylan}> 1d20
[20:07] <ToA_DM> 1d20: 8
[20:07] * Dylan} rolls a Nat 20
[20:07] <ToA_DM> (you type /dice and what kind of dice to roll)
[20:07] <Dylan}> (:P)
[20:07] <Dylan}> (says dice unknown command)
[20:08] <ToA_DM> (crap…)
[20:08] <ToA_DM> (ok, looks like this roller works on my system – sorry)
[20:08] <ToA_DM> 1d20: 20
[20:08] <Dylan}> (i'll take it)
[20:09] <ToA_DM> Hey – you did roll a nat 20)
[20:12] <@Ryu> (oh you need a bot! one sec)
[20:09] <Dylan}> (this is the fourth nat 20 i've rolled in the last 24 hours)
[20:09] <ToA_DM> You hear grunts…and crunching and lip smacking sounds.
[20:09] * DABot (DABot@sorcery-3teaqe.wisp.nbson.net) has joined #grovewood
[20:09] <ToA_DM> (you are overdue for a one)
[20:09] <ToA_DM> (Does the bot do adv and disad?)
[20:13] <@Ryu> (no, have to do it manually)
[20:13] <@Ryu> (well, you could do 2d20 and it shows both rolls so *shrug*)
[20:13] <@Ryu> 2d20
[20:10] <DABot> [Ryu's 2d20(3, 3)+0]: 6
[20:10] <ToA_DM> (ok – now go stash your swag)
[20:14] <@Ryu> (if you need anything else, jus' text I'll be around)
[20:10] <ToA_DM> (ok)
[20:10] <Dylan}> (i dont get more info than that on a 20? )
[20:11] <ToA_DM> (you asked about – oh, didn't ask for just sounds, ok)
[20:11] <ToA_DM> The wind turns and you smell unwashed animal and fruit – really fresh fruit.
[20:11] <ToA_DM> (I mean – deeply unwashed animal)
[20:11] * Tolman (tolman@sorcery-iopk96.mycingular.net) has joined #grovewood
[20:11] * ChanServ sets mode: +o Tolman
[20:12] * @Tolman (tolman@sorcery-iopk96.mycingular.net) Quit (Quit: Colloquy for iPhone - http://colloquy.mobi)
[20:12] * Dylan} goes to investigate
[20:12] <ToA_DM> (roll stealth)
[20:12] <Dylan}> 1d29+3
[20:12] <DABot> Dylan}'s 1d29(17)+3]: 20
[20:12] <Dylan}> 1d20+3
[20:12] <DABot> Dylan}'s 1d20(4)+3]: 7
[20:12] <Dylan}> (sorry typo first time)
[20:13] <ToA_DM> As you creep forward, one of the street stones slips and cracks against another. The chewing stops, and there are a couple of growling huffs ahead.
[20:14] <ToA_DM> Ahead of you, you see six apes – including a large silver-furred male – dropping fruit and looking around. Apparently, you've interrupted the midnight snack.
[20:15] * Dylan} retreats a bit
[20:16] <Dylan}> (looking up skill)
[20:16] <ToA_DM> The silverback stalks forward a couple of steps. He huffs again, and starts in your direction – growling and flailing his limbs in an attempt to intimidate.
[20:16] * Dylan} tries to disccern how to deal with this animals behaviour
[20:17] <Dylan}> 1d20 animal handling
[20:17] <DABot> Dylan}'s 1d20(20)+0]: 20
[20:17] <ToA_DM> (You realize you can ride the ape)
[20:17] <Dylan}> (technically 23)
[20:18] * Dylan} stands his ground but doesn't look into the apes eyes
[20:19] <Terres> (next step : can we keep him oh please can we?)
[20:19] <ToA_DM> The ape charges forward and stops. You smell the unwashed fur close. It looks you over…then huffs and leaves. A couple of grunts and the group breaks up, taking the fruit with it.
[20:19] <ToA_DM> (No!)
[20:20] * Dylan} waits till they are gone and returns
[20:20] <ToA_DM> (brb – rp amongst yourselves)
[20:21] <Dylan}> (did I mention i bought an aasimar miniature? Apparently the store will paint them for me for 10 bucks)
[20:23] <Dylan}> (is it possible to have a character with enough xp to lvl but wait to level him?)
[20:23] <Miri> (no idea)
[20:24] * Dylan} walks around guarding stuff before whomever is next relieves him
[20:26] <ToA_DM> (If you have a character to level, I would go on ahead and do it now.)
[20:27] * Terres gets ready for the next watch
[20:28] <ToA_DM> (The next watch passes without incident)
[20:29] <ToA_DM> The sun rises over the group – oddly well rested in spite of the city's reputation.
[20:31] <ToA_DM> Dylan – where the apes were, you see some discarded fruit peels, seeds and rinds.
[20:32] <Terres> “Time to search for the next shrine”
[20:32] <Dylan}> “Yup”
[20:33] <ToA_DM> (One person can roll Investigation, and another can help to give that person advatange0
[20:34] <Terres> (i can assist or roll if needed)
[20:35] <ToA_DM> (here's a link to the map if you need it: https://www.dndbeyond.com/compendium/adventures/toa/player-handouts#Handout12PlayersMapofOmu )
[20:36] <ToA_DM> Terres roll and Xanthos will assist so you get advantage)
[20:36] <Terres> 1d20+3
[20:36] <DABot> Terres's 1d20(20)+3]: 23
[20:36] <Terres> (ill take that one)
[20:37] <Terres> (something is weird, how many 20s is this)
[20:37] <Terres> 1d20+3
[20:37] <DABot> Terres's 1d20(11)+3]: 14
[20:38] <ToA_DM> ('tis unnatural…and smacks of high wizardry…)
[20:38] <Terres> (ok just lucky i guess)
[20:38] <Terres> ( so was this for finding the next shrine or something else)
[20:39] <ToA_DM> As you scan the horizon, you see something that looks like another complex like the others, but to the southwest-west of it on the other side of the high cobblestone highway, you see a flicker of yellow.
[20:40] <ToA_DM> If you take the highway, you'll pass where the yellow banner is first.
[20:41] <Terres> (do i have any idea what the banner is or is it too far to see from here?)
[20:42] <ToA_DM> You only see it when the wind picks it up…but it looks like something someone would use to make a camp's location. It's something that is hidden from casual observation, but someone who know what to look for would pick it up easily.
[20:42] * Tolman (Tol@sorcery-ei0la5.dyn.grandenetworks.net) has joined #grovewood
[20:42] * ChanServ sets mode: +o Tolman
[20:42] * TolBot (TolBot@sorcery-ei0la5.dyn.grandenetworks.net) has joined #grovewood
[20:42] <Miri> (wb tol)
[20:42] <ToA_DM> (Hey Tolman)
[20:42] <@Tolman> (I�m so sorry)
[20:42] * Tolman is now known as Stolanimus
[20:42] <ToA_DM> (no problem)
[20:43] <Stolanimus> -dice off
[20:43] <TolBot> Dice function turned off. Use the command 'on' to resume dice functions.
[20:43] * Terres points out the banner “We should be careful aproaching that , who knows who made a camp in this city”
[20:43] <ToA_DM> Stolanimus yawns deeply and sits upright.)
[20:43] <ToA_DM> (“Aww, dang – we're still here.”)
[20:44] * Miri fills her water skins up from the vase and prepares to head out.
[20:44] * Dylan} agrees
[20:44] * Stolanimus stands and gathers his things.
[20:44] <ToA_DM> (You all head to near the banner?)
[20:45] <Miri> (yeah)
[20:46] <ToA_DM> In the early morning, you cross the tree-bridge where you met the ill-fated Bag-of-Nails and rejoin the city proper. Picking through the ruins, you find the elevated stone highway – a marvel of engineering that has no equal amongst the civilized world.
[20:48] <ToA_DM> You travel for roughly five hundred feet before you see the banner clearly. Amid the ruins is an abandoned campsite. Torn backpacks and rotted gear litter the ground around the three moldering tents. At the center of the camp, a scrap of dirty yellow cloth hangs from a crude wooden flagpole.
[20:49] <ToA_DM> (poke around?)
[20:49] <Terres> (yes please)
[20:49] <ToA_DM> (roll perception)
[20:49] <Terres> 1d20+3
[20:49] <DABot> Terres's 1d20(15)+3]: 18
[20:51] <ToA_DM> This campsite is at least six months old and was abnadoned.
[20:52] <Terres> (any signs of fighting?)
[20:52] <ToA_DM> (not really – looks like they left to do something and never came back)
[20:52] * Stolanimus looks up, marvelling.
[20:53] <ToA_DM> Terres did you get the PM?)
[20:53] <Terres> “Hmm i found this letter: Bla bla Eye of Zaltec bla bla hidden in tomb of nine gods, bla bla, shrines hold the secret to opening the tomb and more bla bla”
[20:54] <ToA_DM> (oddly…that fits)
[20:54] <Stolanimus> �Any ideas what that is?“
[20:55] <Miri> “sounds like the place one might find an orb keeping all the resurrected dead.”
[20:55] <Terres> “This camp is conspicuosly close to one of the shrines, maybe the occupants tried their luck in the shrine and never got out”
[20:56] <Terres> (speculating wildly here)
[20:56] <Miri> “possible. so…good thing we slept.”
[20:56] * Terres passes the letter around the group (if they are interested in seeing it)
[20:56] <ToA_DM> https://www.dndbeyond.com/compendium/adventures/toa/player-handouts#Handout13LordBrixtonsLetter
[20:57] <Stolanimus> �Seems likely�
[20:58] <Terres> (that last bit about sounding the something something horn twice if in trouble is kinda interesing)
[20:58] <Terres> (looks like swan horn but that makes no sense)
[20:59] <ToA_DM> (This wasn't the best font to use for that letter. I had to re-read it to figure out what it was saying…and I read crappy handwriting for a living.)
[20:59] <Terres> (also the signature is off, it clearly says Brifton, not Brixton)
[21:00] <Dylan}> “We are headed into the rains to check them cut?”
[21:00] * Miri takes a look at the letter. “so, we needs cubes from all nine shrines then find an oblesk?”
[21:00] <Terres> (i take it the rest of the gear in the camp is rotten or useless)
[21:00] <ToA_DM> (yes)
[21:01] <Terres> “Sounds about right”
[21:01] <ToA_DM> (There is nothing useful in the camp)
[21:01] <Dylan}> “Sound the swan horn twice?”
[21:01] * Dylan} puzzles
[21:01] <Miri> “heading into the ruins perhaps?”
[21:02] <Dylan}> “Oh that makes sense.. what's a swan horn?”
[21:02] <Miri> “That i have no idea.”
[21:02] <Terres> “Lets explore this shrine then, and no i have also never seen a swan with a horn!”
[21:03] <Stolanimus> �I do not think that is what it means. Perhaps in the shape of?�
[21:03] <Dylan}> “Is it shaped like a swan? What part do you blow into?”
[21:03] <ToA_DM> (roll history)
[21:03] <ToA_DM> (anyone)
[21:03] <Terres> 1d20
[21:03] <DABot> Terres's 1d20(6)+0]: 6
[21:03] <Dylan}> 1d20+1
[21:03] <DABot> Dylan}'s 1d20(13)+1]: 14
[21:04] <ToA_DM> (…and the spell is broken)
[21:04] <Miri> 1d20+1
[21:04] <DABot> Miri's 1d20(18)+1]: 19
[21:06] <Dylan}> “Oh .. I think the swan is like Brixtons symbol, so that must be some sort of symbol he uses on his horn”
[21:06] <Miri> “the swan is part of the livery of lord brixton and used to sound an emergancy.”
[21:06] <Dylan}> “I have to say, Yellow banner…”
[21:07] <Terres> “Well the last emergency this camp saw was months ago”
[21:08] <Miri> “well 4 temples down, five left….lets get on with it shall we?”
[21:09] <Miri> (brb)
[21:09] * Terres follows Miri
[21:10] <ToA_DM> It takes you a good part of the day, and a bit of water to get to the next temple construct.
[21:10] * Stolanimus plays with the �jug of many fluids� along the way.
[21:10] <Stolanimus> (have we still discovered anything but water?)
[21:11] * Dylan} humms to himself
[21:13] <ToA_DM> (Don't think so – i think that's up to Miri since she's claimed it)
[21:13] <Miri> (back)
[21:14] <Miri> (i don't remember claiming it)
[21:14] <Stolanimus> (no, i got stuck wiht it. I got Mage to play with it some)
[21:15] <ToA_DM> (did I give you the info on it, Stol?)
[21:15] * Dylan} looks at the next construct
[21:15] <Stolanimus> (no, i intentionally didn�t look it up, to try and role play the discovery� but we�ve had it a long time now)
[21:15] <Stolanimus> (I�ll introduce something in game)
[21:15] <Terres> (i know we/I tried ale which didnt seem to work)
[21:16] <Stolanimus> (actually, that is one of the things, I think)
[21:18] <Stolanimus> �Makes you wonder, who made this.”
[21:18] <Terres> (maybe ash didnt give me the remote when he let me play with the jug)
[21:19] <ToA_DM> (Oh, I see why…)
[21:19] <ToA_DM> (Anyway…)
[21:19] <Terres> (yeah we can play with jugs after we get all the sugar cubes)
[21:19] <ToA_DM> Cracked monoliths flank the entrance to this ruin. Saw-edged ferns grow in the courtyard between broken flagstones. A pair of stone doors provide entry to a large, flat-roofed ruin.
[21:20] <ToA_DM> There is a small…rabbit looking thing – with a horn sticking straight out of is forehead. It looks at you all for a second, then scurried away and dives into a burrow.
[21:20] * Terres Casts Mage Armor on himself before going further
[21:20] * Stolanimus wipes his brow, �Tired already.“
[21:20] <ToA_DM> ( https://media-waterdeep.cursecdn.com/avatars/30/740/636395097245241750.png )
[21:21] <Terres> (someone has been hitting the ale jug too hard it seems)
[21:21] <Miri> (reminds me of a jack-a-lope)
[21:23] <Terres> (its what they make the good luck charms out of)
[21:23] <ToA_DM> Sculptural reliefs decorate the doors of this shrine. The carvings show a horned rabbit charging a small, feral-looking bear with sharp claws. A cuneiform message is etched above the doors.
[21:23] <Kayalia> (so… what did I miss? XD;;;;)
[21:23] * Stolanimus studies the bunnicorn.
[21:24] <Dylan}> “So”
[21:24] <Dylan}> “How do we get in?
[21:24] * Terres studies the etched message
[21:24] <Stolanimus> �Ask the Unibunny�
[21:25] * Miri lights her sword, just to be on the safe side.
[21:25] <Terres> “I�jin teaches us to take the path least expected.”
[21:26] <ToA_DM> (The Unibunny is unimpressed)
[21:27] <ToA_DM> (open the doors? look around?)
[21:27] <Stolanimus> Ash �Ask the Unibunny how to get in.”
[21:27] <Stolanimus> (he often casts speak wiht animals)
[21:27] <Kayalia> (Man the buffer is so fing hard to read with the shear amount of OOC chat. wish we had a room for OOC chat inmstead)
[21:28] <ToA_DM> Ash crouches down in front of the burrow, and whispers something into it. He puts his ear to the hole and waits…
[21:29] <ToA_DM> … “It says that we should avoid the snakes and their cousins…“
[21:29] * Terres nods “Always good advice”
[21:30] <Dylan}> “Uhmm … why is it always snakes/“
[21:30] <Dylan}> (?)
[21:30] <ToA_DM> ”…and that we must prepare for the unexpected. Now leave me be.”
[21:30] <Dylan}> “why can't we ever be avoiding the butterflies?”
[21:30] <ToA_DM> (Because we're in the middle of hte jungle. If this were an artic adventure, it would be bears)
[21:30] <Miri> “who would want to avoid butterflies?”
[21:31] * Terres examines the door and tries to see if its open
[21:31] <Dylan}> “That didn't really help us to know how to get in though”
[21:31] <ToA_DM> The shrine doors creak and groan, but open to reveal…
[21:31] <ToA_DM> ( https://www.dndbeyond.com/compendium/adventures/toa/player-handouts#Handout14IjinsPuzzleFloor )
[21:32] <ToA_DM> A ten-foot-wide hallway strikes off into the gloom. Carved tiles depicting various beasts decorate the hallway floor.
[21:33] <Terres> (so if i expect traps and we should prepare for unexpected … does it mean no traps?)
[21:33] <ToA_DM> (exactly – just walk blindly down the hall)
[21:34] <ToA_DM> (Note: if you all get through this, I am going to end the game because I have to draw a map and it has to be exact.)
[21:34] <Dylan}> “Oh…ok..”
[21:34] <Terres> (can stonecunning tell me anythign about the hallway and tiles?)
[21:34] <Dylan}> “A … puzzle?”
[21:35] <Stolanimus> �This sure looks like a puzzle trap.�
[21:35] <ToA_DM> (do you have to roll something to use stonecunning?)
[21:35] * Miri points to a tile “this one…looks like the animal outside.”
[21:35] <Terres> (inteligence /histroy)
[21:36] <Stolanimus> �So, only step on the Unibunny?�
[21:36] <ToA_DM> (roll history, double your prof)
[21:36] <Miri> “no idea”
[21:37] <Terres> 1d20+6
[21:37] <DABot> Terres's 1d20(11)+6]: 17
[21:39] <Terres> “The rabbit tiles seem to be made differently from the others”
[21:41] <Kayalia> 1d20+6 perception
[21:41] <DABot> Kayalia's 1d20(14)+6]: 20
[21:41] <ToA_DM> oO
[21:42] <Miri> “alright…well…what do we do?”
[21:42] <Terres> 1d20+3
[21:42] <DABot> Terres's 1d20(5)+3]: 8
[21:42] <Stolanimus> �I will try it, if you like.�
[21:43] <Kayalia> “Hm… along the side of these tiles are little holes… probably a trap mechanism of some kind…“
[21:43] <Stolanimus> “Lovely.”
[21:44] <Stolanimus> �Do you think� no”
[21:44] <Kayalia> “We've already seen poison gas, arrows, spears…“
[21:44] * Stolanimus tilts his head, �Do you think I need by in the form of the animal upon which I step?�
[21:44] * Terres uses his staff to push one of the non-rabbit tiles
[21:44] <ToA_DM> (It sinks)
[21:44] <Dylan}> “That… seems like a lot of effort?”
[21:45] <Stolanimus> �No, that would not make sen� Terres!”
[21:45] <ToA_DM> (what animal did you pick, Terres?)
[21:45] <Kayalia> “I wonder if you need to step on them in a certain order, like always unirabbit before bear, cause the unirabbit charges the bear? Whatnot?”
[21:45] <Terres> (the girafe looking thing)
[21:45] <ToA_DM> (ok)
[21:45] * Stolanimus shrug.
[21:46] <Kayalia> 1d20+3 investigation - insight into puzzle/ rogue figure out how to disable trap
[21:46] <DABot> Kayalia's 1d20(16)+3]: 19
[21:46] <Stolanimus> �I would think it must be all Unibunnies, or a progression order of animals.”
[21:46] <Terres> (i am not gonna let one of you guys ruin my streak of tripping all the traps so far)
[21:47] <Terres> (so the tile sinks and do i get pincushioned?)
[21:48] <ToA_DM> (the tile sinks, but no pincushioning)
[21:48] * Terres wonders if anyone saw him flinch as he pushed the tile then grinns and steps on it
[21:49] <Kayalia> “Oh, you know, I was thinking, that message you read out loud. Path least expected? Going with the theme of the relief here, like, the opposite of what you would expect. Rabbit beating a bear? And so on?”
[21:49] <ToA_DM> You step on the giraffe tile and nothing happens.
[21:50] <Terres> “Well this one seems safe”
[21:50] <Kayalia> “Now I am confused again. The giraffe is safe… hm.”
[21:51] <Dylan}> “Whats a giraffe?”
[21:51] * Stolanimus looks on nervously.
[21:51] <Terres> (we are going from right to left on the tiels?)
[21:51] <ToA_DM> (yes – head due north)
[21:52] <Kayalia> “Maybe… don't step on any predator animals?”
[21:52] * Terres pushes on the “Zebra” tile diagonally from him
[21:52] <ToA_DM> The tile sinks.
[21:53] <Terres> (i flinche and wait a few seconds)
[21:53] <Kayalia> “Well, that's probably a no…“
[21:53] <ToA_DM> (nothing else happens)
[21:53] <Kayalia> “Perhas biggest to smallest animal?”
[21:53] <Stolanimus> �I would think the safe tiles don�t sink.”
[21:54] * Terres steps on the zebra tile then ponders where to go next
[21:54] <Stolanimus> �Then this would mean press in all animals of a certain category.”
[21:54] <Kayalia> “But I'd think the zebra would have been next…“
[21:54] <Dylan}> “uhmmm…“
[21:55] <Dylan}> “Ok I think I have an idea”
[21:55] <Terres> (so giraffe, then Zebra..)
[21:55] <ToA_DM> (*rubs hands together*)
[21:55] <Stolanimus> (what is that animal beside the eagle in row three?)
[21:55] <Terres> “Where to next guys, i am running out of ideas and courage”
[21:55] <Kayalia> (zebra wasn't safe.)
[21:55] <Dylan}> (ok)
[21:55] <Stolanimus> �I do not know, Kayalia)
[21:55] <Dylan}> (which side are we on?)
[21:55] <Kayalia> “Try the horned rabbit?”
[21:55] <Kayalia> (We're on the far right)
[21:56] <Stolanimus> (moving right to left, south to north)
[21:56] <Miri> (i thought the zebra was safe…i'm confused now)
[21:56] <Stolanimus> (He�s standing on row2 zebra)
[21:56] <ToA_DM> (to the lef tof hte eagle is warthog[?] to the right is dragonfly)
[21:56] <Kayalia> (zebra depressed when he put weight on it)
[21:56] <Stolanimus> (ah, a warthog)
[21:56] <ToA_DM> (that's what it looks like)
[21:56] <Terres> (yeah but nothing happened or did i miss something)
[21:56] <Miri> (so did the giraff but nothing ahppened)
[21:57] <Kayalia> (giraffe depressed? Thought nothing happened?)
[21:57] <ToA_DM> (none of the traps have been tripped, as far as you can tell)
[21:57] <Terres> (umm what is considered more of a predator, hog or a dragonfly)
[21:58] <Miri> (warthog?)
[21:58] <Dylan}> (how wide are each tile?)
[21:58] * Terres uses his staff on the dragonfly next
[21:58] <Terres> (2.5 feet if hallway is 10ft)
[21:58] <ToA_DM> (five feet square)
[21:59] <Dylan}> “Ok this makes no sense to me”
[21:59] <Kayalia> (oh it did depress? then do it like… giraffe→zebra→dragonfly→rabbit→zebra→rabbit→giraffe→rabbit?)
[21:59] <ToA_DM> ( from the text: Thirty-two tiles cover a 20-foot-long, 10-foot-wide stretch of the hallway. Each tile is 5 feet square, and the tiles are arranged in eight rows of four. The beasts depicted on the tiles are almiraj (see appendix D), dragonflies, eagles, giraffes, monkeys, tigers, warthogs, and zebras.)
[21:59] <ToA_DM> (Is that what you do Kayalia?)
[21:59] <Kayalia> (basically like I said earlier, non-predatory animals only)
[21:59] <ToA_DM> (ok)
[22:00] <Dylan}> “I mean in terms of doing this, I mean I feel like I be going all along the same tiles, but they are way too far apart to make sense”
[22:00] <Kayalia> (I'm not doing it)
[22:00] <ToA_DM> (aww)
[22:00] <Dylan}> “Do you know what i mean?”
[22:00] <Terres> (i did push the dragonfly next)
[22:00] <Kayalia> Terres is, and he's trying the tiles with a staff first)
[22:00] <Kayalia> (I was suggesting an order to Terres)
[22:00] <ToA_DM> The tile depressed and clicks.
[22:00] <Stolanimus> (click are never good)
[22:00] <ToA_DM> (oh, I thought you were going to skip on ahead.)
[22:01] * Dylan} looks around
[22:01] <Dylan}> “Anyone?”
[22:01] * Kayalia calls out the order mentioned in the OOC post to Terres to try.
[22:01] <Dylan}> “Also…“
[22:01] * Dylan} looks at the walls
[22:02] <Terres> (i did mention that the rabbit tiles look different so i was going to avoid those but apparenntly dragonfly clicked )
[22:02] <ToA_DM> Dylan roll perception as you look at the walls)
[22:02] <Dylan}> “Didn't daggers fly at us from walls before?”
[22:02] * Dylan} looks for holes or anything daggers could fly from
[22:02] <Dylan}> 1d20
[22:02] <DABot> Dylan}'s 1d20(13)+0]: 13
[22:02] <Kayalia> “A lot of stuff has come out before. There are holes along each row of tiles. So I assume step on the wrong one and something comes out.”
[22:03] * Terres rleases the dragonfly tile then waits to see what happens
[22:03] <Dylan}> “Look”
[22:03] <ToA_DM> Nothing happens.
[22:03] <Dylan}> “Guys stop”
[22:03] * Terres stops moving
[22:04] * Dylan} points at the walls
[22:04] <Dylan}> “There are holes in those walls”
[22:04] * Dylan} points at them
[22:04] <Dylan}> “I bet more daggers or something aweful flyes from them”
[22:04] <Kayalia> “Why? It was getting good! If Terres takes all the arrows, then they'll be used up by time we go through!”
[22:05] <ToA_DM> (And Kayalia gets the “Better Him Than Me” medal!)
[22:05] * Terres looks where Dylan is pointing
[22:05] <Kayalia> “Try the rabbit next!”
[22:05] * Dylan} facepalms
[22:05] <Miri> “i wouldn't try the rabbit next.”
[22:06] <Kayalia> “Its rabbit or monkey. Given the monkeys in this jungle though, I'd rather encounter the rabbit. Probably… I hope.”
[22:06] <Terres> “Those rabbits look unnatural”
[22:06] <Dylan}> “Ok, I have an idea”
[22:06] <Miri> “the rabbit tiles are different from the other tiles, someone figured that out.”
[22:06] * Dylan} casts a spell
[22:07] <Stolanimus> �Is the pattern you suggest the most docile creature in each row?�
[22:07] <Dylan}> “Actually no”
[22:07] * Dylan} stops before casting
[22:07] <Kayalia> “Pretty much.”
[22:07] * Dylan} looks around
[22:07] <Dylan}> (is there anything for me to secure a rope to?”
[22:08] <Dylan}> )
[22:08] <Terres> (well i was going with docile creatures, and the painting outside the shrine indicates the rabit attacking a bear )
[22:08] <ToA_DM> (Not that you can see)
[22:08] <Kayalia> “But only the ones you can reach. The rabbit seems the most docile between the monkey, warthog, and rabbit… the only thing that makes me doubt the rabbit is its horn and the relief showing its mightier than a bear.”
[22:09] <Kayalia> “But it could also be a clue that its better to bet on the unexpected, weaker animal winning each matchup. Which is also what the caption says, essentially.”
[22:09] * Dylan} turns to Stolanium”
[22:09] * Stolanimus blinks at Dylan.
[22:10] <Dylan}> “Can you turn into a creature that flies and carry us across?”
[22:10] <Terres> (tried that already, he didnt spec into flying druids)
[22:10] * Terres steps on the dragonfly and waits to see what happens
[22:11] <Kayalia> (terres stepped on the dragonfly in the 3rd row I believe…)
[22:11] <ToA_DM> (ok)
[22:11] <Stolanimus> �I can not”
[22:11] <Dylan}> “Well I have an idea but you guys aren't going to like it”
[22:11] <Stolanimus> �I can easily climb along the ceiling.�
[22:12] <ToA_DM> 1d20+5
[22:12] <DABot> [ToA_DM's 1d20(15)+5]: 20
[22:12] <ToA_DM> 1d20+5
[22:12] <DABot> [ToA_DM's 1d20(19)+5]: 24
[22:12] <ToA_DM> 1d20+5
[22:12] <DABot> [ToA_DM's 1d20(1)+5]: 6
[22:12] <ToA_DM> 1d20+5
[22:12] <DABot> [ToA_DM's 1d20(17)+5]: 22
[22:12] <Kayalia> “Not if you're going to turn into a creepy crawly..!”
[22:12] * Stolanimus smiles turning towards Kaya.
[22:12] <Terres> (here we go, 4 fireballs)
[22:12] <ToA_DM> There are four puffs of air. Three darts strike Terres in the arm and neck, one whistles by his eye.
[22:12] <Kayalia> (now comes ded?)
[22:13] <ToA_DM> 1d4
[22:13] <DABot> [ToA_DM's 1d4(3)+0]: 3
[22:13] <ToA_DM> 1d4
[22:13] <DABot> [ToA_DM's 1d4(1)+0]: 1
[22:13] <ToA_DM> 1d4
[22:13] <DABot> [ToA_DM's 1d4(3)+0]: 3
[22:13] <ToA_DM> (take seven points of piercing damage…)
[22:13] * Terres digs the darts out
[22:13] * Dylan} blinks
[22:13] <ToA_DM> Make a DC 15 CON save.
[22:13] <Terres> “Ouch”
[22:13] <ToA_DM> Three times
[22:13] <Stolanimus> (oh no)
[22:13] <Kayalia> “Oh–! Terres are you okay?!”
[22:14] <Stolanimus> (how high is the ceiling?)
[22:14] <Dylan}> (which row was terres on?)
[22:14] <Stolanimus> (row three)
[22:14] <Miri> (3rd)
[22:14] <Terres> 1d20+2
[22:14] <DABot> Terres's 1d20(1)+2]: 3
[22:14] <Terres> 1d20+2
[22:14] <DABot> Terres's 1d20(5)+2]: 7
[22:14] <Terres> 1d20+2
[22:14] <DABot> Terres's 1d20(4)+2]: 6
[22:14] <Kayalia> (I officially do not understand the whyme and reason to this puzzle :<)
[22:14] <Terres> (lol)
[22:14] <ToA_DM> (Stol – 12 feet high)
[22:14] <ToA_DM> 2d6
[22:14] <DABot> [ToA_DM's 2d6(5, 3)+0]: 8
[22:14] <ToA_DM> 2d6
[22:14] <DABot> [ToA_DM's 2d6(1, 5)+0]: 6
[22:14] <ToA_DM> 2d6
[22:14] <DABot> [ToA_DM's 2d6(3, 2)+0]: 5
[22:14] <Terres> (if this is poins , i am resistant)
[22:14] <Terres> (poison too)
[22:15] <Dylan}> (ugh I think I do, but ..)
[22:15] <ToA_DM> (take nothing because this is poison)
[22:15] <ToA_DM> (wait – resistant or immune?)
[22:15] <Terres> (resistant not imune)
[22:15] <Stolanimus> (that halves damage)
[22:16] <Terres> (so another 10)
[22:16] * Dylan} examines the tiles
[22:16] <Dylan}> (which ones did Terres step on?)
[22:16] <Terres> “So clicking tiles shoot poison darts”
[22:16] <Miri> (giraff, zebra, dragonfly)
[22:17] <ToA_DM> Oh – he was on three? I thought he moved ahead to the fourth row.)
[22:17] <ToA_DM> (take no damage, then)
[22:17] <Terres> (no i just stepped on dragonfly in 3)
[22:18] * Dylan} casts a spell
[22:18] <Terres> (so rewind the damage? also did dragon fly click when i stepped on it or no)
[22:18] <ToA_DM> (it did click, and you took no damage)
[22:19] <Kayalia> (SO CONFUSED)
[22:19] <ToA_DM> Dylan dissolves into mist and flits to the other side.
[22:20] <Miri> “well…guess he wants to solve this one on his own.”
[22:20] * Terres pushes the monkey with his staff
[22:20] <ToA_DM> The monkey tile clicks
[22:20] <ToA_DM> Nothing else happens
[22:21] <Kayalia> “Clicks are bad why is there clicking”
[22:21] * Stolanimus marvels at Dylan-cloud.
[22:21] <Terres> (just to let you know i was avoiding boars and other predators)
[22:21] * Terres steps on the monkey
[22:21] <Kayalia> (NOOW he gets the poison!)
[22:21] <ToA_DM> (the tile you probed earlier?)
[22:22] <Terres> (the monkey in 4th row)
[22:22] <ToA_DM> (ok)
[22:22] <Dylan}> “Ok lemme run my idea by you guys” Dylan calls
[22:23] <Terres> “Hey, check the other side for a way to disable those traps”
[22:23] <ToA_DM> Dylan roll investigation)
[22:24] <Dylan}> 1d20+1
[22:24] <DABot> Dylan}'s 1d20(8)+1]: 9
[22:24] <ToA_DM> (Nope)
[22:24] <Terres> (so i still didnt get shot up?)
[22:24] <ToA_DM> (Not yet)
[22:24] <Dylan}> “It has to be a pattern, but it makes no sense for it all to be the same because they are all so far apart. Also nothing happened when you went from that tile to the other”
[22:24] <Dylan}> “Did you notice that?”
[22:24] <Dylan}> “Which tiles did you go across?”
[22:25] <Kayalia> “Yes, Dylan That's what we've been talking about.”
[22:25] <Terres> “Yes it is weird, i crossed Giraffe, Zebra, Dragonfly and now im on monkey”
[22:25] <ToA_DM> (She said with a tired sigh.)
[22:25] <Dylan}> “Try going across the tiles without stepping on the same one twice”\
[22:25] * Kayalia said with a tired sigh.
[22:26] <Terres> “That would mean stepping on a tiger next, which seems like a silly thing to do”
[22:26] <Dylan}> “Do it”
[22:26] <Terres> “You are healing my dwarf arse if i get cooked or worse”
[22:27] <Kayalia> “That sounds like a possibility, too…, but also renders the carving and warning sentence outside meaningless…“
[22:27] * Terres test the tiger with the staff
[22:27] <Dylan}> “Its the only thing that makes sense”
[22:27] <ToA_DM> The tile clicks.
[22:28] <Dylan}> “I mean imagine you want to go across the floor, if you set it up so you had to step on all the same tiles you wouldn't set it up to have this weird pattern of jumping like 5 feet at a time”
[22:28] <Kayalia> “You're trapping yourself at that rate. You're going to end up stepping on something twice on that route…“
[22:28] <Terres> (yeah there is not enough diferent animals to make it across)
[22:28] * Terres steps on the tiger
[22:29] <Dylan}> “Giraffe, Zebra, Dragonfly …” Dylan waits for Terres
[22:29] <Terres> (you forgot monkey after dragonfly and now tiger)
[22:30] <Dylan}> “Monkey, Tiger..”
[22:30] <ToA_DM> Terres is standing on the tiger tile.
[22:31] <Terres> (what would i need to roll so i can jump over a row ?)
[22:31] <Dylan}> “Next i think is thhat weird horned thing?”
[22:31] <ToA_DM> (athletics – DC 13)
[22:31] * Dylan} points
[22:32] * Terres pokes the rabbit tile carefull with his staff
[22:32] <ToA_DM> The tile clicks
[22:32] <Dylan}> (thats a rabbit?)
[22:32] <ToA_DM> (kinda)
[22:32] <Dylan}> (looks like a unicorn to me)
[22:33] <ToA_DM> (Do you step onto the tile?)
[22:33] <Miri> (it's a unicorn horned rabbit)
[22:33] * Terres steps on the Rabbit and braces for the inevitable rain of horrific death
[22:33] <ToA_DM> 2d10
[22:33] <DABot> [ToA_DM's 2d10(6, 6)+0]: 12
[22:33] <Kayalia> (here I found a route where each animal is only used once… https://pasteboard.co/HPXWJvQ.jpg )
[22:34] <ToA_DM> Magic ripples over Terres making him wobble a little…
[22:35] <Kayalia> :X
[22:35] * Dylan} waits
[22:35] <Terres> “Thats different”
[22:35] <Dylan}> “well, you're alive still”
[22:35] <Dylan}> “Next one, is the one right in front of you”
[22:36] <Dylan}> “Some sort of babboon?”
[22:36] <Kayalia> “That's a repeat for you, though…“
[22:36] <Dylan}> ok wait i am confused
[22:36] <Dylan}> )
[22:36] * Terres tries to jump over the next rown and onto the eagle in the last row
[22:37] <ToA_DM> (athletics, DC 13)
[22:37] <Terres> 1d20
[22:37] <DABot> Terres's 1d20(1)+0]: 1
[22:37] <ToA_DM> O.O
[22:37] <Terres> (faceplanting)
[22:37] <Terres> (meaning the darts just might fly over my head:)
[22:38] <ToA_DM> Terres gathers himself to jump, but trips on his heel and falls on…
[22:38] <ToA_DM> 1d6
[22:38] <DABot> [ToA_DM's 1d6(6)+0]: 6
[22:38] <ToA_DM> (YOu lucky bastard)
[22:38] <ToA_DM> …the warhog tile. The one creature he hasn't stood on yet.
[22:39] <Dylan}> (which symbol is a warthog?)
[22:39] <Miri> (top of row seven)
[22:39] <Terres> ( and everyone following me, will have to do the same faceplant if they want to succeed)
[22:39] <ToA_DM> (looking north, the far right one on the next to last row)
[22:40] * Terres picks himself up acting like he meant to do that
[22:40] <Dylan}> “Ok.. now just jump across the last tile”
[22:40] <ToA_DM> (athletics, DC 13)
[22:41] * Terres takes another try to jump/run across the giraffe
[22:41] <Terres> 1d20
[22:41] <DABot> Terres's 1d20(8)+0]: 8
[22:41] <ToA_DM> (…sigh…)
[22:41] <Terres> (bah thats what you get for wearing robes while exploring jungles)
[22:42] <ToA_DM> 1d20+5
[22:42] <DABot> [ToA_DM's 1d20(10)+5]: 15
[22:42] <ToA_DM> 1d20+5
[22:42] <DABot> [ToA_DM's 1d20(2)+5]: 7
[22:42] <ToA_DM> 1d20+5
[22:42] <DABot> [ToA_DM's 1d20(8)+5]: 13
[22:42] <ToA_DM> 1d20+5
[22:42] <DABot> [ToA_DM's 1d20(8)+5]: 13
[22:42] <ToA_DM> (any hit?)
[22:42] <Terres> (14ac with mage armor)
[22:43] <ToA_DM> (only one)
[22:43] <Terres> (yep)
[22:43] <ToA_DM> 1d4
[22:43] <DABot> [ToA_DM's 1d4(3)+0]: 3
[22:43] <Terres> 1d20+2
[22:43] <DABot> Terres's 1d20(3)+2]: 5
[22:43] <ToA_DM> (take three, save DC 15 CON save)
[22:44] <ToA_DM> 2d6
[22:44] <DABot> [ToA_DM's 2d6(4, 2)+0]: 6
[22:44] <Kayalia> :(
[22:44] <Terres> (3 saves?)
[22:44] <ToA_DM> (Take 3 poison damage – aren't you thankful for your extra hp?)
[22:44] <ToA_DM> (just one since only one dart hit him)
[22:44] <Terres> (like i planed it)
[22:45] * Terres looks back at the others, “And dont forget to fall back there , its part of crossing i think”
[22:45] <ToA_DM> Terres joins Dylan at the other end of the hallway, slightly worse for wear…and we will pick up with the Baleful Bunny Hall next week!

campaigns/harl_s_mad_temple_delight/session_32_-_12-2-2018.txt · Last modified: 2018/12/04 01:08 by ryubasteon