Grovewood Saga

Roll Softly, Hit harder. . .

User Tools

Site Tools


campaigns:harl_s_mad_temple_delight:session_22_-_9-9-2018

[20:16] <DM_ToA> *When last we left our adventures – a fortunate run-in and near massacre of a pack of cannibals has led them to the Lost City of Omu. Now, overlooking the ruins of the grand city below, the party can see the goal of ending the curse in sight. Join us now as they descend into the forbidding ruins, as our adventure begins.*
[20:16] <Miri> (lol)
[20:17] <Dylan> (miri is fast, but Dylan has a better AC)
[20:17] * Magestar is now known as Ash
[20:17] * Tolman is now known as Stolanimus
[20:17] <Miri> (she also has like 30 more hp :P)
[20:18] <Dylan> (oh yeah that too)
[20:19] <Dylan> (why is his HP So Low?)
[20:19] <Miri> (i donno, tho i have had some really good die rolls for hp)
[20:20] <DM_ToA> The cannibal frets with his hands as he points to the ruins of Omu. “There. There is city. Home to the gods. Home to great Ras Nsi. I take. I go.”
[20:20] <Dylan> (oh its not 6d10 46/60 is normal)
[20:21] * Miri keeps her sword drawn and ready and lit, just itching for a chance to kill the cannibal.
[20:21] * Dylan raises an eyebrow
[20:21] <Terres> “Where do you take the offerings to the Ras Nsi?”
[20:22] <DM_ToA> The cannibal whimpers and points to the city. “All I know.”
[20:23] <May> (oh wow I realized my pdf sheet was missing some powers now that I am messing around with dndbeyond… apparently I never documented that I was proficient with insight, or that I had the defensive duelist feat and could make stuff miss me with a reaction… lol…)
[20:23] <DM_ToA> He takes a couple of steps away from you all. Furiously, he rubs his forehead to erase the blue triangle.
[20:24] <Terres> “What will you do now?”
[20:24] <DM_ToA> (talking to the cannibal?)
[20:24] <Terres> (ya and i want to check if he is lying to me)
[20:24] <Stolanimus> ( “Go, and sin no more” )
[20:24] <DM_ToA> (roll insight, Terres)
[20:25] <Terres> 1d20+3 insight
[20:25] <TolBot> Terres's 1d20(⑧)+3 'insight']: 11
[20:25] <DM_ToA> ( “…and that means no eating people, either.”)
[20:25] <DM_ToA> “I leave. Find my clan.”
[20:26] <Terres> “You know what will happen if i ever again see you attacking week ones!”
[20:27] * Terres casts minor illusion to make his eyes glow for a short bit
[20:27] <Terres> (weak too)
[20:28] <DM_ToA> The cannibal scrambles into the jungle undergrowth.
[20:28] <Terres> “Well i think that problem is solved”
[20:29] * Dylan nods
[20:29] <DM_ToA> The jungle parts to reveal a dead city enclosed by sheer cliffs. Ruined buildings and stone boulevards rise like ghosts from the floor of the misty basin. Colorful birds glide overhead.
[20:29] <DM_ToA> A waterfall pours into the basin, creating a swollen river that floods much of the city before draining into a deep rift filled with molten lava. A ruined palace lies a few hundred feet from the edge of the steaming abyss.
[20:30] <Dylan> “egh I don't think he would have liked it if we just let Miri have their way”
[20:30] <Miri> “no, but I would have.” *keeps her eyes a minute longer on the spot where the cannibal disapeared through the trees before turning back*
[20:30] <DM_ToA> (link to the map forthcoming)
[20:30] <DM_ToA> (That cannibal is *gone*)
[20:31] <DM_ToA> (map: https://media-waterdeep.cursecdn.com/attachments/2/948/ph12.jpg)
[20:31] * Dylan rubs his temples
[20:31] <Miri> (she turned back aground not the cannibal, just for clearification)
[20:32] <Terres> “Yeah but he then he couldnt tell his friends about a group of terrifying beings who killed his group and barely let him live”
[20:32] <Miri> “that matters not to me.”
[20:32] * May marvels at the waterfall and the distant volcanic heat.
[20:33] <Miri> (what side of the city are we on?)
[20:33] <Terres> “Dont worry Miri i am sure there is plenty of killing ahead of us still.”
[20:33] <DM_ToA> (Lower left hand corner of the map – where there is a staircase)
[20:34] <Miri> “Either that or you will find out how bad of an idea it is to continue to stay my hand.” clearly ya'll aren't her favorite people at the moment.
[20:34] <Stolanimus> (how long since our battle with the cannibals?)
[20:35] * Stolanimus also marvels at the waterfall.
[20:35] * Dylan hardly seems to be paying attention
[20:35] <Stolanimus> (let’s go swim in the cool orange pool!)
[20:36] * Terres closes his eyes and tries to feel for the pulsing magic
[20:36] <DM_ToA> (It's been about a month)
[20:36] <Stolanimus> ( ok, this map maker was an idiot. The water is flowing INTO the volcanic crevice? and that wouldn’t fill up in about a week?)
[20:37] <Terres> (plus the whole place would be in a permanent fog)
[20:37] * Miri scans her bright yellow eyes across the city, still getitng used to how well she can see now.
[20:39] <May> (can someone pm me to explain the cannibals or why we got to omu without a guide when I thought we were going back to Port Nyanzaru to get a new guide?)
[20:39] <@Ryu> (good night! Time for me to go to bed :\ stupid early mornings)
[20:40] <DM_ToA> (Night, Ryu)
[20:40] <Terres> (we got attacked by a group of them, we killed all but one, we interogated the last guy just before Miri could give him a deep haircut, he told us about this place and then we got teleported here because DM didnt want us meandering through the jungle for months)
[20:41] <DM_ToA> (I sacrificed comedy for expediency)
[20:41] <May> (icic)
[20:42] <Dylan> (now that we are in the city i am not sure what we should be doing here)
[20:42] <Terres> (didnt we have some map and instructions from our boss lady)
[20:43] * May blinks a few times at the steaming volcanic crag, then turns to the others. “What are we doing here, anyway? Didn't our previous guide want to come here as a landmark, or something?”
[20:43] <Terres> (i remember the soulmonger was rumored to be in Omu, cant remember much else)
[20:43] <Miri> (we need to find the soumonger and destory it or nullify it)
[20:43] <DM_ToA> (That's whay you're here for – the Soulmonger to get rid of the curse)
[20:43] * Terres looks over the city for any movement or signs of inhabitance
[20:44] <Miri> (also an amulet, a shield guardian and a book of spells if we come across them)
[20:45] <Dylan> “So.. how exactly do we find what we are looking for?”
[20:45] <DM_ToA> A vine-draped gargoyle perches on the clifftop, staring down at the ruined city. It has the face of a devil, with its mouth agape in a silent scream.
[20:46] <Miri> “start searching i suppose.”
[20:46] <Ash> (Indeed, prehaps their leader has it._
[20:46] <Ash> “Indeed, prehaps their leader has it.”
[20:47] <May> (gargoyle? not on a building??)
[20:47] <DM_ToA> (Nope)
[20:47] <Terres> “We should be carefull i am sure that one group of canibals was not the only one dropping off sacrifices here”
[20:47] <Stolanimus> “I must say, it is amazing we found this place.“
[20:47] * Stolanimus breathes in the air.
[20:47] * Miri begins to slwoly move into the city.
[20:48] * Terres follows Miri keeping his eyes on the building entrances and along the roof tops
[20:48] <Ash> “For an old city, it has a bit of charm.”
[20:48] <May> “Is it even possible this place feels more humid than the forrest? I can't take this island…“
[20:48] <DM_ToA> The air is humid and thick as you begin walking down the staircase. The footfalls echoes against the stones.
[20:50] <DM_ToA> You apprach a large gatehouse.
[20:50] <DM_ToA> A guardhouse stands near the entrance to the city. Arrow slits are cut into its limestone walls, and a lopsided iron portcullis hangs over the gateway, beyond which you see an open plaza.
[20:50] * Terres casts Mage Armor on himself in preparation for anything to come
[20:51] <Dylan> “It's so weird being in a big city like this, having grown up on a farm”
[20:51] <Terres> “It looks weird in a city after all this time spent in a jungle”
[20:51] * May swallows a lump in her throat. “This place is abandoned, right…? Or no? It looks abandoned.”
[20:52] <Ash> “I can nearly promise it's not abanddoned.”
[20:52] <Terres> “WEll Canibals are bringing their offerings here to their “god” i dont think its is as abandoned as it looks”
[20:52] <DM_ToA> Even the birds hush as you enter the city's borders. The hairs on the back of your neck rise a little from the graveyard silence.
[20:55] <DM_ToA> (checking out the guardhouse?)
[20:55] <Miri> (yes)
[20:56] <DM_ToA> Much of the interior has collapsed into rubble. Creepers cling to the walls, and high grasses sprout between the flagstones amid evidence of long-dead campfires. One wall is covered with graffiti — some words painted, others etched.
[20:57] <Terres> (what do they say?)
[20:57] <DM_ToA> “Fear the fangs of Ras Nsi!”
[20:57] <DM_ToA> “Erik, I’ve gone in search of the nine shrines. V.”
[20:57] <DM_ToA> “The puzzle cubes are the key.”
[20:57] <DM_ToA> “Beware the frog monster!”
[20:57] <DM_ToA> “Who is Unkh?”
[20:57] <DM_ToA> “All hail the King of Feathers!”
[20:57] <DM_ToA> “The snakes are not what they seem.”
[20:57] <DM_ToA> “Kubazan = bravery. Shagambi = wisdom. Moa = ?”
[20:59] <Terres> (this seems like something we will need later)
[20:59] <DM_ToA> (You don't see anything else in this guardhouse.)
[21:00] * Stolanimus looks around.
[21:00] <Terres> (any signs of recent occupancy?)
[21:01] <DM_ToA> (None)
[21:02] <Terres> “We should look for more messages writen on the walls”
[21:02] <Dylan> (the snakes as opposed to the owls)
[21:02] <May> “Stay away from frog monsters and snakes. Check.”
[21:03] <Miri> (of all the days for my wrist to not want to let me write grrr)
[21:04] <Terres> “Lets move on”
[21:05] * Dylan agrees
[21:05] <Stolanimus> “We need to proceed carefully.”
[21:06] <DM_ToA> As you leave the guard house, you come to a small cliff.
[21:06] <Stolanimus> (we can see the guardhouse is empty?)
[21:07] <Stolanimus> “Those writings, were they from previous explorers?”
[21:07] * Dylan shrugs
[21:07] <Dylan> “Maybe?”
[21:08] <May> “Or the cannibals. Like this one about Ras Nsi…“
[21:08] <DM_ToA> (Yes, you can see the guardhouse it empty)
[21:08] <Terres> “Or crazy ramblings of poor souls who got lost and ended up here”
[21:08] <DM_ToA> (Question: anyone else have problems putting your characters into the campaign on DnD Beyond? Like not getting all the choices for your class?)
[21:09] <Miri> (not me)
[21:09] <Dylan> (nope)
[21:09] <Terres> (no problem here)
[21:09] <May> (I got some errors trying to pick feats)
[21:10] <Dylan> ( i dont have feats yet?)
[21:11] <DM_ToA> (let me try something after the game. Worse comes to worse, I'll submit a ticket.
[21:11] <DM_ToA> (back to the game)
[21:12] <DM_ToA> You stand at the edge of a cliff, fifty feet high. Below you, the ciy lies still like a gutted animal. What will you do?
[21:13] * Ash gazes out and takes in the sights.
[21:13] * Miri breaks out her climbing gear and prepares to climb down.
[21:13] <Ash> “Anybody see anything that looks like shrines?”
[21:14] * Terres looks over the city looking for any buildings that stand out
[21:15] <DM_ToA> (Roll investigation)
[21:15] <Terres> 1d20+3
[21:15] <TolBot> Terres's 1d20(⑭)+3]: 17
[21:15] <Ash> 1d20+2
[21:15] <TolBot> Ash's 1d20(①)+2]: 3 (Better luck next time.)
[21:16] <DM_ToA> (There is a structure clear on the other side of the city – circular and rising above the water)
[21:16] <DM_ToA> Ash – well…better luck next time)
[21:16] * Terres points “That one looks like it could be a temple or something similar”
[21:17] <Miri> (brb)
[21:18] <Terres> (in my search did i see any ways that could be easier for a climb down?)
[21:18] <May> “Why were there stairs before but not here…? What is the point of this ledge… guh this continent makes no sense…“
[21:18] <DM_ToA> (you saw a pile of rotted wood that might have been a ladder at one point)
[21:19] <Terres> “I wonder how the Cannibals bring their offerings here”
[21:19] <DM_ToA> (anyone having problems putting in your character, try it now)
[21:21] * Stolanimus looks out to see any srhines.
[21:21] <DM_ToA> (Anyone wanting to climb, roll Athletics)
[21:21] <DM_ToA> (Stol, roll investigaton with advantage)
[21:21] <Miri> 1d20+6
[21:21] <Stolanimus> 1d20 adv
[21:21] <TolBot> Stolanimus's 1d20(10, 5) 'adv']: 10
[21:21] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(⑯)+6]: 22
[21:21] <May> (ahh I am able to add feats now. what changed…?)
[21:21] <Ash> 1d20+1 climb
[21:21] <TolBot> Ash's 1d20(⑨)+1 'climb']: 10
[21:22] <DM_ToA> You watch Miri muttering to herself scramble down the cliff side with little effort.
[21:22] * Miri yells up “if you yahoos aren't gonna climb down can someone toss me my climbing gear?”
[21:22] <Stolanimus> (me either. it only gives me 4 feat options. weird)
[21:22] <DM_ToA> (Apparently, I have refreshed the page, but in doing so, it turns off sharing.)
[21:22] * Terres tries to climb down
[21:22] <Terres> 1d20 athletics
[21:22] <TolBot> Terres's 1d20(⑧) 'athletics']: 8
[21:23] <DM_ToA> Terres tries to follow Miri's path, but he steps on a loose clutch of rocks and slides…
[21:23] <Terres> (i will use Dark ones own luck to add a 1d10)
[21:23] <DM_ToA> (got for it)
[21:23] <Terres> 1d10
[21:23] <TolBot> Terres's 1d10(⑧)]: 8
[21:24] <Terres> (so total 16)
[21:24] <DM_ToA> With a gasp – Terres reaches out and catches himself on an outcropping of rock. Carefully, he lowers himself to the ground.
[21:24] <Terres> “well that was exciting and you didnt even try to catch me”
[21:25] <Miri> “didn't look like you need me to”
[21:25] <Terres> (how long is a short rest?)
[21:25] <Ash> (About an hour)
[21:28] * Terres looks up the cliff waiting for the other to climb down
[21:29] <Stolanimus> (ok, how many made it down?)
[21:29] <DM_ToA> (Anyone clmbing can make an Athletics check)
[21:30] <DM_ToA> (2 so far)
[21:30] * Stolanimus stands at the cliff top.
[21:30] * Dylan uses the climbing kit he recently acquired to climb down
[21:30] <Stolanimus> (it’s how far? Did we get a rope out?)
[21:30] <DM_ToA> (jump! jump! jump!)
[21:30] <Miri> (50 feet and yes)
[21:30] <DM_ToA> (fifty feet down)
[21:31] <Ash> (My check was a 10, didn't see any acknowledgement on it)
[21:31] <DM_ToA> (Sorry, I missed it)
[21:31] <DM_ToA> Ash tries to climb down…
[21:31] <Dylan> (what is hte dc?)
[21:32] <DM_ToA> (if you use rope, I'll give you adv)
[21:32] <DM_ToA> (11)
[21:32] * Dylan uses rope
[21:32] <Dylan> 1d20+6 adv
[21:32] <TolBot> Dylan's 1d20(7, 5)+6 'adv']: 13
[21:32] <Dylan> (made it)
[21:32] <Ash> (Well if there's rope involved, I wouldn't free-form it)
[21:32] <Ash> 1d20+1 check with rope
[21:32] <TolBot> Ash's 1d20(①)+1 'check with rope']: 2 (Yikes!)
[21:32] <Ash> (Yeah I fall, 10 and 2)
[21:33] * Miri will attempt to catch anyone that falls.
[21:33] <DM_ToA> (…and plummets to his death)
[21:33] <Stolanimus> (no, you have to fail by certain amount to fall i think)
[21:33] <DM_ToA> (Roll Athletics, DC 12, Miri)
[21:33] <Dylan> (since i am using climbing kit which it pitons can i make throw to grab him as he falls?)
[21:33] <Miri> 1d20+6 vs dc12
[21:33] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(⑦)+6 'vs dc12']: 13 (Success)
[21:34] <Dylan> (tea brb)
[21:34] <DM_ToA> (if Miri had failed, then yes.)
[21:34] <DM_ToA> Miri scrambles and holds out her arms. Ash collapses into her grasp with a whuff.
[21:34] <Ash> “Oof!”
[21:35] * Miri sets ash on his feet.
[21:35] * Dylan finishes climbing
[21:35] <Ash> “It's not easy to do in plate mail.”
[21:35] * Terres turns around and looks towards the city while the rest climb down
[21:35] <Dylan> “Nice catch”
[21:35] <Ash> “Thanks”
[21:35] <Miri> “welcome”
[21:36] <DM_ToA> (…and a romance was born)
[21:36] <Dylan> (moon river…)
[21:36] <Terres> (sleepless in Omu)
[21:36] <DM_ToA> (I am so shipping MAsh)
[21:36] <Miri> (ya'll want your killin done don't ya? :P)
[21:37] <Stolanimus> (so is anyone needing help down?)
[21:37] * Dylan waits for Stol
[21:38] <Terres> (watch Stoll swandive and transform into a bird)
[21:38] <Miri> (he can't form into flyers yet)
[21:38] <DM_ToA> (“It's OK – we're like, gods!”)
[21:38] <Miri> (and death)
[21:38] <Terres> (not even flying squirels?)
[21:38] <Miri> (also may isn't down yet is she?)
[21:39] <DM_ToA> (Don't think so – I haven't seen her type in anything)
[21:40] <Stolanimus> Dylan you’re still at the top?)
[21:40] <Miri> (dylan made it down)
[21:41] <DM_ToA> Ash Miri Dylan and Terres are all down.)
[21:41] <Stolanimus> 1d20 adv
[21:41] <TolBot> Stolanimus's 1d20(15, 5) 'adv']: 15
[21:42] <DM_ToA> (rolling for May)
[21:42] <DM_ToA> 1d20-1 DC12 adv
[21:42] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 1d20(②)-1 'DC12 adv']: 1 (Fail)
[21:42] * Miri will attempt to catch may as well if whe can.
[21:42] <DM_ToA> 1d20-1 adv DC 12
[21:42] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 1d20(3, 19)-1 'adv DC 12']: 18
[21:43] <May> (:X)
[21:44] <DM_ToA> (Everyone is down, now – time for the ambushes!)
[21:45] <May> (D:)
[21:46] <DM_ToA> You can see faint trails leading into the main city – what might have been a cobbled road at one point is now a weedy bed of grasses.
[21:47] <Terres> (so whats around here, any buildings or ambushes?)
[21:48] <DM_ToA> There are two buildings ahead that looks like barracks (at one point) and some sort of official building. The shrine is ahead by North-east and clear on the other side of the city complex.
[21:48] * May tries to intuit whether or not she 'has a bad feeling' about the area around them..
[21:48] * Disconnected
[21:48] * Attempting to rejoin channel #grovewood
[21:48] * Rejoined channel #grovewood
[21:48] * Topic is 'Grovewood - D&D5e Harl's Temple - Current DM: Harlequin-J-Goat- 8:30 PM EST Sundays. - Logs available here: http://grovewoodsaga.com/doku.php?id=campaigns:konnen:the_forth'
[21:48] * Set by ChanServ on Fri Sep 07 09:33:26 2018
[21:49] <Terres> “We should check out those buildings”
[21:49] <DM_ToA> (roll insight)
[21:49] <May> 1d20+6
[21:49] <TolBot> [May's 1d20(⑲)+6]: 25
[21:49] <Terres> 1d20+3 insight
[21:49] <TolBot> Terres's 1d20(⑭)+3 'insight']: 17
[21:49] * May is now known as Kayalia
[21:51] * Terres shudders and says “I get the feeling we are being watched”
[21:51] * Kayalia sighs and begins to look around intently. “I feel like that, too. Like someone is fixed on us with some pretty obvious intent.” Kaya unfurls her weapon.
[21:53] * Ash looks around obilivous, but draws his club, because all the cool kids are.
[21:53] <DM_ToA> (examing the buildings, or continuing on?)
[21:54] * Stolanimus looks around.
[21:54] <Terres> (i would vote building first, clear then move on, dont want monsters catching us from behind)
[21:54] <Miri> (what terres said)
[21:54] <Ash> (That's the wise choice)
[21:55] * Terres makes his ways towards the buildings carefully
[21:55] <DM_ToA> Everything has been carved out from the surrounding basalt, giving the whole city a uniform color that makes the colorful plants from the jungle look brighter – a mockery of life among the ruins.
[21:56] * Dylan follows towards the building
[21:56] <DM_ToA> The wooden doors have rotted away, leaving the buildings open.
[21:56] * Miri follows as well. her sword still lit and at the ready.
[21:57] <DM_ToA> The building on the left is a barracks – rows of rotted bedding and rusted weapons are on the ground.
[21:58] * Terres looks for anything that is useful or looks recently disturbed
[21:58] <Kayalia> “I wonder how they were able to even construct and maintain a city like this for any amount of time, given how crazy this island is. And if they ahd a way, why'd it eventually fall?”
[22:00] <DM_ToA> growing under one of the windows is a bush with 11 dark brown looking berries.
[22:00] * Ash (TheNighting@sorcery-6c7og2.cpe.metrocast.net) Quit (Connection closed)
[22:00] * Magestar (TheNighting@sorcery-6c7og2.cpe.metrocast.net) has joined #grovewood
[22:00] * ChanServ sets mode: +o Magestar
[22:00] <Miri> (wb)
[22:00] <@Magestar> (PC decided to crash)
[22:00] * Magestar is now known as Ash
[22:00] <DM_ToA> (“Screw it – I'm on vacation now.”)
[22:01] * Dylan looks at the berries
[22:01] <Terres> (can i try to figure out whet those berries are without touching them?)
[22:01] * Dylan shakes his head
[22:01] <DM_ToA> Half an hour later, you've found the bush and no monsters.
[22:01] <DM_ToA> (roll nature)
[22:01] <Terres> 1d20
[22:01] <TolBot> Terres's 1d20(⑱)]: 18
[22:01] <Terres> (man i am just wasting some decent rolls on bushes)
[22:02] <DM_ToA> (which was the bushes plan to begin with)
[22:02] * Kayalia pokes her head carefully around doorframes to look inside some of the buildings.
[22:02] * Terres picks the ripe looking berries and stashes them for now
[22:03] <DM_ToA> (moving to the next building, Kayalia)
[22:03] <DM_ToA> (?)
[22:04] <Kayalia> (I suppose?)
[22:04] <Terres> “Those could help us against disease and poison”
[22:04] * Terres follows to the next building
[22:05] <DM_ToA> In the next building, tucked away in an alcove, is a brightly painted statue with some shiny stones for eyes and a beaten, red metal for a tongue.
[22:05] <Terres> (any writings on the walls?)
[22:05] <DM_ToA> (nope)
[22:06] * Stolanimus looks out behind diligently.
[22:06] <DM_ToA> (yuou don't see anything, Stol)
[22:07] <Kayalia> 1d20 investigation
[22:07] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑫) 'investigation']: 12
[22:09] * Kayalia looks over the statue to make sure it is safe to take it.
[22:09] <DM_ToA> Poking about, you do see the remains of what looks like a camp – half burnt firewood and waxed paper wrappers.
[22:10] <DM_ToA> (roll investigation again for traps, Kayalia)
[22:10] <Kayalia> 1d20 investigation
[22:10] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(④) 'investigation']: 4
[22:10] <Kayalia> (I am terrible at traps despite being a rogue..)
[22:10] <Miri> (well not everyone can be a Vax)
[22:11] <DM_ToA> (or have a gnome to throw at it)
[22:11] <Ash> (Or a Ryu to just charge forward ignoring traps)
[22:11] * Kayalia picks up the statue since it doesn't look trapped.
[22:12] <Terres> (can i figure out what this statue is supposed to represent?)
[22:13] <DM_ToA> (roll religion, Terres)
[22:13] <Terres> 1d20+3
[22:13] <TolBot> Terres's 1d20(⑫)+3]: 15
[22:14] <Terres> “Well thats one ugly statue.”
[22:14] <Miri> “who do you think it represents?”
[22:15] <Ash> “Something ugly”
[22:15] <Terres> “Someone very ugly i assume, are those shiny stones worth anything?”
[22:17] <Terres> (this is going to take a while if we are going to burglarizse every building first)
[22:17] * Terres shrugs and prepares to move on
[22:17] <DM_ToA> (It takes 30 mins to sweep and clear)
[22:17] * Dylan eyes the statue
[22:17] <Stolanimus> 1d20 religion
[22:17] <TolBot> Stolanimus's 1d20(⑯) 'religion']: 16
[22:18] * Stolanimus looks at the statue.
[22:18] <Dylan> 1d20+1 religion
[22:18] <TolBot> Dylan's 1d20(⑧)+1 'religion']: 9
[22:19] * Miri prepares to move on.
[22:19] <Ash> 1d20+2 religion for the heck of it.
[22:19] <TolBot> Ash's 1d20(③)+2 'religion for the heck of it.']: 5
[22:19] <Ash> (It's still ugly)
[22:20] <Miri> 1d20+1 cause if everyone else is gonna…
[22:20] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(⑲)+1 'cause if everyone else is gonna…']: 20
[22:20] <Miri> (lmao)
[22:20] <Terres> ( you are a cleric with only +2 to religion?)
[22:20] * Stolanimus shrugs.
[22:20] <Stolanimus> “It doesn’t look religious.”
[22:21] <Ash> (Yup)
[22:21] <Ash> (It's what happens when you were a street urchin who magically came into the class)
[22:21] <Terres> (meh, as long as you know how to heal)
[22:22] <DM_ToA> (continuing on?)
[22:22] <Terres> (aye)
[22:22] <Miri> (did my 20 religion check get anything?)
[22:23] <Kayalia> (if I had my own pick of classes, Kaya would have been a bard that used dance for the bardic inspiration performance)
[22:24] <DM_ToA> You walk out of the building, the grasses have grown to hip high being unchecked by the ruthless canopy overhead.
[22:24] <DM_ToA> (I can't wait to try to play my insult comic bard)
[22:24] <Terres> (this is snake country!)
[22:25] <DM_ToA> (and bat country)
[22:25] <DM_ToA> Ahead, there is a set of stone steps that lead to an elevated stone path.
[22:26] <DM_ToA> Buildings flank either side of it. The stone street itself leads down to another stone structure.
[22:27] * Dylan heads towards the elevated stone path
[22:28] <DM_ToA> You can see, off to the far left, a walled structure.
[22:28] * Terres looks for any signs of recent activity at the doors of the buildings
[22:28] <DM_ToA> You even see a faint wisp of smoke coming out of the compound.
[22:29] <Terres> “That place looks occupied!”
[22:29] <Miri> “well…this can't be good. I can't wait.”
[22:30] <Terres> “We shoud proceed with caution… or just let Miri clearcut the way in.”
[22:32] * Stolanimus peers. “Smoke”
[22:32] <DM_ToA> (Do you all draw closer to it?)
[22:32] * Kayalia stows the little figure, since it might be handy later. Hopefully it isn't cursed.
[22:33] * Miri moves forward.
[22:33] * Terres moves off the road and i bit to the side so he is not so visible
[22:33] <Ash> “Let's investigate.”
[22:33] <DM_ToA> Smoke drifts lazily from a walled compound. The gate lies in splinters, and scorch marks deface the buildings. Near the center of the compound is a plaza littered with charred human corpses. One of the corpses is being torn apart by a pack of wild dogs.
[22:33] * Stolanimus pulls a piece of bark from his pouch and fondles it.
[22:34] * Terres grips his staff and prepares for a fight
[22:35] <DM_ToA> As you enter, the dogs don't seem to care about your presence as they tear into the body of a human.
[22:35] <Ash> (how many dogs?)
[22:35] <DM_ToA> (five)
[22:35] <Terres> (more vorried about the source of the smoke)
[22:36] <Terres> (and worried too)
[22:36] <Stolanimus> “Uh.”
[22:36] <DM_ToA> (Looks like it's coming from behind one of the buildings)
[22:36] * Dylan shrugs
[22:36] <Stolanimus> “So many…”
[22:37] <Terres> “We should investigate the fire before we bother with the dogs”
[22:37] * Dylan agrees
[22:37] <Ash> “If the dogs attack, I can deal with most if not all of them.”
[22:37] <DM_ToA> ( you manage to count 30 people. 3 red robed wizards, 20 men who looks like they might have been soldiers or mercenaries, and seven porters)
[22:39] <DM_ToA> The dogs are gnawing on one of the wizards. They're too involved with their meal to regard you.
[22:39] * Kayalia averts her eyes from the dogs and their disgusting spectacle. She does her usual 'hide betwix the muscley, armored people' routine.
[22:39] <Terres> (oh those are the corpses, not around the fire)
[22:39] <Stolanimus> (that is the count of corpses?)
[22:39] <DM_ToA> (Yes, that's the count of corpses.)
[22:40] <DM_ToA> (No, the smoke is coming from out behind the building)
[22:40] * Terres whispers “lets look behind the building before the dogs or something worse notices us”
[22:40] <DM_ToA> Leaving the room and going around back…
[22:41] <Kayalia> (porter? like laborers?)
[22:41] <DM_ToA> (Yep)
[22:41] <Miri> “I want to loot the bodies tho, but i suppose we can do that later”
[22:41] <DM_ToA> …a glaive has been thrust into remains of a burned-out pyre. Charred snake skulls and blackened inhuman vertebrae are lashed to the spear. On a wall nearby, a symbol has been daubed in ash: a snake curled in a spiral, gripping a circle in its jaws.
[22:41] <Terres> (did they have flame fist insignias that we could see?)
[22:42] <DM_ToA> (no – if they were wearing armor, it's been taken. You don't see anything of value on the corpses.)
[22:42] <Kayalia> “What is all this creepy stuff! I can't believe this…“
[22:43] <Terres> (did i ever see that symbol before?)
[22:43] <Ash> “I would guess that group being eaten were perhaps a merchant group, or similiar killed by the natives who live here.”
[22:43] <DM_ToA> (roll religion, anyone looking at the symbol)
[22:43] <Terres> 1d20+3
[22:43] <TolBot> Terres's 1d20(⑬)+3]: 16
[22:43] <Ash> 1d20+2
[22:43] <TolBot> Ash's 1d20(⑲)+2]: 21
[22:43] <Miri> 1d20+1
[22:43] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(⑲)+1]: 20
[22:44] <Ash> Not too sure who or what this is, but for some reason I know the symbol to be of Dendar the Night Serpent devouring the world.
[22:44] * Terres nods
[22:45] <Stolanimus> 1d20
[22:45] <TolBot> Stolanimus's 1d20(⑳)]: 20 (Nailed it!)
[22:45] * Stolanimus looks at the symbol, “Ah”
[22:46] <Terres> “Its not a good sign thats for sure”
[22:48] <Stolanimus> “It is the ancient night serpent.”
[22:48] <Stolanimus> “Den something.”
[22:48] <Terres> “Lets see who is brave or foolish enough to light a fire in this place”
[22:48] <Stolanimus> “The old story is it yearns to be set free to destroy life on the world.”
[22:48] <DM_ToA> ”…help…“
[22:48] <Terres> (if you have a problem with Dendar you can use head&shoulders)
[22:48] * Stolanimus looks around.
[22:49] <Stolanimus> “Did you hear that?”
[22:49] <DM_ToA> Underneath some rubble, you hear a faint voice.
[22:49] <DM_ToA> ”…gods…help…“
[22:49] * Terres investigates carefully
[22:49] <Stolanimus> ( *please be our old guideplease be our old guideplease be our old guide*)
[22:50] <Terres> (she would not call us gods)
[22:50] <Miri> (i dont think they are calling us gods but calling out to the gods)
[22:50] <DM_ToA> As you draw close to the rubble – a scraped up hand thrusts out from under the pile of stones.
[22:50] <DM_ToA> (its a man's voice)
[22:50] <Terres> “Who are you and what are you doing here?”
[22:51] * Miri repares for it to be a trick, sword at the ready and lit.
[22:51] <DM_ToA> ”..help…ambushed…dying…please…help”
[22:51] <Terres> (one day i will figure out what kind of fuel you ise for that sword)
[22:51] * Stolanimus moves to unpile the person.
[22:52] <Miri> (magic, duh )
[22:52] <DM_ToA> Stolanimus moves enough rock to eventually pull the man out.
[22:52] * Ash stands at the ready to apply some minor healing to the man when he's free.
[22:52] <DM_ToA> (https://media-waterdeep.cursecdn.com/attachments/2/895/303.png)
[22:52] <Terres> (we ask him all the questions)
[22:53] <Ash> 1d4+2 healing
[22:53] <TolBot> Ash's 1d4(⚃)+2 'healing']: 6
[22:53] <Terres> “Now start explaining”
[22:54] * Kayalia sits near the entrance, looking out at the lawn with a weary expression.
[22:55] <DM_ToA> “I'm…Orvex Acrammas…I was hired by the Red Wizards to help them translate some carvings here. We were attacked by…thank you, young man…yuan-ti. There was an explosion and I was buried iunder the rock. I've been waiting to be rescued. Did the Red Wizards send you?”
[22:55] <Ash> “They did not.”
[22:55] <Terres> “Who ambushed you and where did they go after the attack”
[22:56] <DM_ToA> “Oh…well – can I join you for the time being…and do you have any water to drink?”
[22:56] <Stolanimus> ( boy do we )
[22:56] <Miri> (do i trust this man??)
[22:56] * Ash offers the man some water from the jug.
[22:56] <DM_ToA> “We were attacked by the snake people…and I don't know where they went.”
[22:57] <Kayalia> “I take it those corpses out on the lawn are the men who hired you?”
[22:57] <Kayalia> “Though I suppose its more like a patio..?”
[22:57] <DM_ToA> Miri roll insight)
[22:58] <Miri> 1d20
[22:58] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(⑫)]: 12
[22:58] <Stolanimus> 1d20+7 insight
[22:58] <TolBot> Stolanimus's 1d20(⑧)+7 'insight']: 15
[22:59] <Kayalia> (do I feel like there's imminent danger or we're safe for the moment? still being watched?)
[22:59] <Kayalia> 1d20+6 insight
[22:59] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(②)+6 'insight']: 8
[22:59] <DM_ToA> (You still feel a thousand eyes gently upon you…and five that are boring a hole through your soul.)
[23:00] <Stolanimus> “Be calm, sir. You among friendly faces.“
[23:00] <Miri> “except me”
[23:00] <Terres> “We still need to investigate the smoke”
[23:01] <DM_ToA> the man cringes away from Miri the Empathetic.
[23:01] <Kayalia> ”Miri…“
[23:01] <DM_ToA> “Where are the others? Did any of them survive?”
[23:02] <Ash> “Well seeing as we don't know how many were in your party, that's hard to say, but I'm guessing no.”
[23:02] <Terres> 1d20+3 Medicine
[23:02] <TolBot> Terres's 1d20(⑪)+3 'Medicine']: 14
[23:03] <DM_ToA> “Including myself? 31.”
[23:03] <Ash> “I didn't get a detailed count, but I would say you were the only survivor. Lady luck must want you alive for some purpose.”
[23:04] <DM_ToA> “Oh…“
[23:04] <Terres> “It looks like there were some Snakes or snake humanoids were burned on that funeral pyre back there”
[23:05] <DM_ToA> The man sighs. “Well, since I'm here and you're here as well…need a translator? I know Old Omuian, as I was hired to translate and enscribe what I read off the walls.”
[23:06] <Miri> “do you know what the world Moa means?”
[23:06] <Terres> (we cant pay him if thats what he wants)
[23:07] <Ash> (We just paid him with his life)
[23:07] * Terres looks over the battlefield for any information where the snakes went and if they left anything behind
[23:08] <DM_ToA> “Moa…it sounds familar…Moa…Moa – oh! Moa! One of the Trickster Gods here in the city! We were trying to find the shrines!”
[23:08] <Terres> “Ask him about that statue we found”
[23:09] <Terres> (someone did grab it right)
[23:09] <Kayalia> “Gods and shrines aside, I doubt you'd want to head back to a port city alone, that's kinda bad – your situation. We do a poor job of protecting outselves as it is, so I don't think you'd be safe with us, you know. Are you able to take care of yourself?”
[23:10] * Kayalia digs into her pack while talking, and produces the little statue.
[23:10] <Terres> “We mean to go deeper in, would you follow us in?”
[23:10] <DM_ToA> The man's eyes grow wide. “Are you – have – no! I barely survived the attack and that was with the Red Wizards of Thay at my side!”
[23:10] <Stolanimus> “You should stay with us, for your safety.”
[23:11] <Stolanimus> “He could be of help to us.”
[23:11] <DM_ToA> “I can help you with – dear gods, what is that?” He points to the statue Kayalia is holding.
[23:11] * Stolanimus looks at Kayalia.
[23:11] <Terres> “Something we picked up here, looks ugly doesnt it”
[23:12] * Dylan tenses
[23:12] <DM_ToA> “Did you buy that? I would ask for all my money back, plus ten percent.”
[23:12] <Terres> “No we found it in one of the ruins”
[23:12] <Kayalia> “I found it in one of the buildings near here. I thought it was… interesting?”
[23:14] <Ash> “You mean ugly”
[23:14] * Kayalia turns the statue over in her hand. “I'm young enough that I might still be able to career change! Being an archeologist wouldn't be all that bad, would it? Then again, maybe history isn't that interesting.”
[23:14] <DM_ToA> “If by interesting you mean 'ugly enough to scare a medusa', then yes – that is interesting.” He turns to Stol.
[23:15] <DM_ToA> “You need someone here who can read the writing on the walls, so to speak, and that's me. I don't need any payment, and I will do what I can. All i desire right now is food, water, safety and shelter.”
[23:16] <Stolanimus> “Very well.”
[23:16] * Dylan agrees
[23:16] <Kayalia> “Medusa? Is that someone you know? Like, brave I guess?”
[23:16] <Stolanimus> (running kinda late here)
[23:17] <Ash> (agreed)
[23:18] <DM_ToA> (ok – we'll call it for this evening.)
[23:18] <Kayalia> (no… when we started it was 'late'. Now it is 'late++')
[23:18] <DM_ToA> ***

campaigns/harl_s_mad_temple_delight/session_22_-_9-9-2018.txt · Last modified: 2018/10/02 02:26 by ryubasteon