Grovewood Saga

Roll Softly, Hit harder. . .

User Tools

Site Tools


campaigns:harl_s_mad_temple_delight:session_23_-_9-16-2018

[19:42] <DM_ToA> When we last left our group – the adventurers finally found the lost city of Omu. Eager to plumb its depths, they have scrambled down into the tall grass lined streets; only to discover that they are not alone – finding a companion in a surviving scribe. Now as this session of “The Tomb of Annhilation” continues – our plucky crew travels on the forlorn stone paths. OUr adventure begins…
[19:43] <DM_ToA> As you stand outside with your group – you hear some water running behind the compund where you were holed up.
[19:43] <dylan→ (I dont have my character sheet tho)
[19:45] <Terres> (the water thing just started or was it there all along?)
[19:45] <DM_ToA> (it was there)
[19:46] <Miri> (map image again?)
[19:46] <DM_ToA> (did I give you guys a map?)
[19:46] <DM_ToA> (hang on)
[19:46] <Miri> (thanks)
[19:46] <DM_ToA> https://www.dndbeyond.com/compendium/adventures/toa/player-handouts#Handout12PlayersMapofOmu
[19:47] * Terres takes a look behind the building at what is making the water sounds while the others talk to the surviver
[19:47] * dylan- (Mutter@sorcery-9gauh5.wavecable.com) Quit (Quit: Mutter: www.mutterirc.com)
[19:48] <DM_ToA> A rectangular pool of murky water stretches before this vine-draped shrine. Rope bridges that once spanned the water float on the surface, tangled with other debris. The shards of a toppled monolith form stepping stones to the middle of the pool, where a statue of a stone frog rises above the water.
[19:49] * Ash picks up a nearby stone and tosses it into the water, to see if that gets anything's attention.
[19:49] * Terres mutters “Beware the frog monster”
[19:50] * Kayalia feels continuous to feel nervous.
[19:51] <DM_ToA> Surging out of the water is a huge monstrosity – tenacles flair about in anger.
[19:51] <DM_ToA> https://media-waterdeep.cursecdn.com/avatars/9/636/636329685469779526.jpeg
[19:51] <Miri> “you just had to throw a rock.”
[19:52] <Ash> “Well it was either that or one of us wakes ugly there in the middle of the water!”
[19:52] <DM_ToA> It lets out a croaking road, sending the smell of rotted flesh and fish and alge puffing into your nostrils.
[19:52] * Terres takes a few steps back and prepares to cast
[19:52] <DM_ToA> (I think this is a new record for getting into combat)
[19:53] <Terres> (but without tolbot i feel so naked)
[19:53] * Miri re-lights her sword and gets ready to fight.
[19:53] * PK (Overlord@sorcery-6c7og2.cpe.metrocast.net) has joined #grovewood
[19:54] <Terres> (my mage armor lasts 8 hours, i think i cast it when we passed the guard house so it should still be up)
[19:54] <PK> (Somebody looking to die tonight?)
[19:54] <Terres> (dad puns are best puns)
[19:55] <DM_ToA> (init!)
[19:55] <Ash> 1d20
[19:55] <PK> Ash throws the numbered heads of dead players (1d20) and gets 14.
[19:55] <Terres> 1d20+1
[19:55] <PK> Terres throws the numbered heads of dead players (1d20+1) and gets 12.
[19:55] <Miri> 1d20
[19:55] <PK> Miri throws the numbered heads of dead players (1d20) and gets 3.
[19:55] <DM_ToA> 1d20+1
[19:55] <PK> <DM_ToA throws the numbered heads of dead players (1d20+1) and gets 8.
[19:57] <Terres> (is this creature familiar at all?)
[19:57] <DM_ToA> (is that going to be everyone?)
[19:57] <DM_ToA> (roll nature, Terres)
[19:57] <Terres> 1d20
[19:57] <PK> Terres throws the numbered heads of dead players (1d20) and gets 14.
[19:57] <Kayalia> (I'd like to opt out of fighting that)
[19:58] <Terres> (pk dont like the flavor text after the roll right?)
[19:58] <Kayalia> 1d20+4 init I think
[19:58] <Ash> (Correct)
[19:58] <Kayalia> 1d20+4
[19:58] <PK> Kayalia throws the numbered heads of dead players (1d20+4) and gets 5.
[19:58] <Kayalia> (gross)
[19:58] <Ash> ~initload Ash: 14, Terres: 12, BIG UGLY: 8, Kayalia: 5, Miri: 3
[19:58] <PK> To see current initative /msg me the text ~init or ~initative
[19:59] * dylan- (Mutter@sorcery-9gauh5.wavecable.com) has joined #grovewood
[19:59] <DM_ToA> (Wife's advice: make like Monty Python and run away)
[19:59] <Kayalia> (also can that thing not say that unnecessary stuff about severed heads every time? o_x)
[19:59] <Kayalia> (what spell makes the artist die?)
[19:59] <PK> (It could, but it won't right now.)
[19:59] <Terres> (nothing on 14 nature?)
[20:00] <DM_ToA> (sorry – that got lost)
[20:00] * Ash casts BANE on the creature, and then backs up a lot.
[20:00] <Ash> (DC 13 Cha save)
[20:00] <Terres> (pretty sure that thing has no Cha stat)
[20:01] <DM_ToA> 1d20-3 DC 13
[20:01] <DM_ToA> 1d20-3
[20:01] <PK> <DM_ToA throws the numbered heads of dead players (1d20-3) and gets 16.
[20:01] <Ash> (Bah)
[20:01] <DM_ToA> (BWAAHAHAHAHAAA!)
[20:01] <Terres> “Could it be Froghemoth, watch for its tentacles”
[20:02] <Terres> (how far away is it from us?)
[20:02] <DM_ToA> (20')
[20:03] * Terres takes a que from Ash and backs off then casts fireball at the thing
[20:03] <dylan→ (I didnt even realize i was disconnected)
[20:03] <Terres> (DC14 dex save for half)
[20:04] <Terres> 8d6
[20:04] <PK> Terres throws the numbered heads of dead players (8d6) and gets 35.
[20:05] <DM_ToA> 1d20+1
[20:05] <PK> <DM_ToA throws the numbered heads of dead players (1d20+1) and gets 18.
[20:05] <Terres> (so 17 dmg unless it has some other tricks)
[20:05] * Tolman (Tol@sorcery-ei0la5.dyn.grandenetworks.net) has joined #grovewood
[20:05] * ChanServ sets mode: +o Tolman
[20:05] * TolBot (TolBot@sorcery-ei0la5.dyn.grandenetworks.net) has joined #grovewood
[20:06] <Terres> (watch out for frogs)
[20:06] * Tolman is now known as Stolanimus
[20:07] * PK (Overlord@sorcery-6c7og2.cpe.metrocast.net) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[20:07] <DM_ToA> The fire bursts in a wave of orange and red heat…the creatures shakes it's head and roars as steam cooks off its body.
[20:07] <Terres> (welcome back Tol, you turn around and see me casting a fireball at this https://media-waterdeep.cursecdn.com/avatars/9/636/636329685469779526.jpeg)
[20:07] <DM_ToA> (roll init Stol)
[20:07] <Stolanimus> 1d20+2
[20:07] <TolBot> Stolanimus's 1d20(⑦)+2]: 9
[20:07] <DM_ToA> (go Stol)
[20:08] <Stolanimus> (where are we?)
[20:08] <Terres> (we saw a pool of water, Ash threw a rock in, big frog wants to eat us comes out, your next :)
[20:08] <DM_ToA> (go Stol)
[20:09] <DM_ToA> (sorry – my screen didn't scroll down)
[20:09] <Stolanimus> (it’s in the water?)
[20:09] <DM_ToA> (yes)
[20:10] <Terres> (slightly cooked on the top, if you want to flip it i can try cooking the other side too)
[20:10] * Stolanimus jumps into the water.
[20:10] * Stolanimus is now known as Stol-aconda
[20:11] * @Stol-aconda attacks the Big Ugly
[20:11] <@Stol-aconda> 1d20+7
[20:11] <TolBot> [Stol-aconda's 1d20(⑰)+7]: 24
[20:11] <DM_ToA> (Now I have “Baby Got Back” running through my head. Stol – take 2d100 points of psychic damage a turn)
[20:11] <@Stol-aconda> 2d6+4 Piercing bite
[20:11] <TolBot> [Stol-aconda's 2d6(⚀⚀)+4 'Piercing bite']: 6
[20:11] <@Stol-aconda> (+1,,, so 7 damage)
[20:12] <DM_ToA> (hit – as an anaconda do you have a constriction attack or anything like that?)
[20:12] <@Stol-aconda> (I do, but it doesn’t say “multi”)
[20:12] <DM_ToA> (ok)
[20:12] <Terres> (or he could pretend to be one of its tentacles and confuse it)
[20:12] <@Stol-aconda> (so I’m guessing I choose bite OR constrict)
[20:13] <DM_ToA> A brown and green snake lashes out – taking a foul tasting bite of creature.
[20:13] <DM_ToA> The creature targets Terres with two tentacles.
[20:14] <DM_ToA> 1d20+10
[20:14] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 1d20(⑦)+10]: 17
[20:14] <Ash> (Note, Terres moved back, so should be about 50' away)
[20:14] <DM_ToA> (ahh…ok)
[20:14] <Terres> (yeah i moved as far as i could then threw the fireball, but if it has th raech it hits)
[20:15] <DM_ToA> The first tentacle lashes out blindly. The second one flails at the serpent.
[20:15] <DM_ToA> 1d20+10 to Stol-aconda.
[20:15] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 1d20(⑦)+10 'to Stol-aconda.']: 17
[20:15] <@Stol-aconda> (hit)
[20:15] <DM_ToA> 3d8+6
[20:15] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 3d8(③⑤①)+6]: 15
[20:16] <@Stol-aconda> (er… ouch)
[20:16] <DM_ToA> (…and you are grappled)
[20:16] <Miri> (how close is the creature from the edge of the water?)
[20:16] <Terres> (oh yeah i said watch the tentacles just before you jumped in the water)
[20:16] <DM_ToA> (DC 16 to escape)
[20:17] <DM_ToA> (10 feet)
[20:17] <Miri> (k)
[20:17] <DM_ToA> (Kayalia)
[20:17] <Kayalia> “NOPE… seriously..?” Wide eyed, she readies her crossbow, not wanting to get into melee with that… thing. She lets loose one bolt shortly after loading it, and scooches away as much as possible.
[20:17] <Kayalia> 1d20+7
[20:17] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑭)+7]: 21
[20:18] <DM_ToA> (hit)
[20:18] <Kayalia> 4d6+4
[20:18] <TolBot> Kayalia's 4d6(⚂⚅⚂⚂)+4]: 19
[20:18] <@Stol-aconda> (what’s the size of this creature or its tentacle? My Giant Constrictor Snake is HUGE, so I know that affects grapple rules.)
[20:19] <Kayalia> (standing at least 30' back since thats the favorable range for a crossbow)
[20:19] <DM_ToA> A bolt lances out, striking the froghemoth's flank. It grumbles and looks about.
[20:20] <Terres> (looks to be huge from that picture)
[20:20] <DM_ToA> (Miri)
[20:20] <@Stol-aconda> (if I shrink it down tho? :) )
[20:20] * Miri will use her bonus action to go into a rage, and then will run up and jump onto the creature and take two swipes at it.
[20:21] <@Stol-aconda> (ok, that 4d6 on Kaya’s roll looks cool)
[20:21] <DM_ToA> (you can certainly try, Stol)
[20:21] <DM_ToA> http://bit.ly/battlegrid – should be there
[20:21] <@Stol-aconda> (lol, I just meant shrink it down in my web browser.
[20:21] <Miri> (reckless attacks)
[20:21] <dylan→ Ahah
[20:21] <Miri> 1d20+6 adv
[20:21] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(6, 4)+6 'adv']: 12
[20:21] <DM_ToA> (umm…no…)
[20:21] <Miri> 1d20+6 adv
[20:21] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(9, 15)+6 'adv']: 21
[20:21] <DM_ToA> (yes)
[20:22] <Miri> 2d6+5
[20:22] <TolBot> Miri's 2d6(⚁⚅)+5]: 13
[20:22] <Miri> 2d6 fire
[20:22] <TolBot> Miri's 2d6(⚄⚂) 'fire']: 8
[20:22] <Terres> (now i get this picture of Tol https://rhapsodyinbooks.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/little-prince-snake-hat.jpg)
[20:22] <DM_ToA> (can everyone see the battle map?)
[20:22] <Miri> (i can)
[20:22] <dylan→ (Im gonna move adjacent to froggie and make two attacks on my turn)
[20:23] <DM_ToA> (place your selves as needed, please)
[20:24] <Miri> (attacks on me now have advantage until my next round)
[20:24] <Kayalia> (stol: its 1d6+4 weapon and 3d6 sneak attack)
[20:24] <DM_ToA> Miri shrieks like a blood crazed gladiatrix…landing on the back of the creature. The first swing is wide from adjusting her balance. The second one slices through skin – the flames making the skin bubble slightly.
[20:24] <DM_ToA> (back to the top with Ash)
[20:24] <@Stol-aconda> (Kaya, I just meant the dice images: ⚄⚂⚄⚂
[20:24] * Ash launches a Guiding Bolt at the thing…
[20:25] <Ash> 1d20+5
[20:25] <TolBot> Ash's 1d20(⑭)+5]: 19
[20:25] <Kayalia> (mmm I have mixed feelings about the die images but yeah they're kind of cute, esp with 3-5 of them at a time)
[20:25] <DM_ToA> (hit, Ash)
[20:26] <dylan→ (Should i put in init to be added?)
[20:26] <Ash> 6d6 & next person to roll an attack has advantage.
[20:26] <TolBot> Ash's 6d6(⚁⚂⚃⚁⚅⚅) '& next person to roll an attack has advantage.']: 23
[20:26] <DM_ToA> A blazing golden bolt lances out from Ash's hand, striking the creature.
[20:26] <DM_ToA> (23?! Why do I worry about this being a TPK?)
[20:27] * Terres gets his initial panic under control casts 2 Eldritch blasts at the Frogster
[20:27] <DM_ToA> (Terres)
[20:27] <dylan→ 1d20+2
[20:27] <TolBot> [dylan-'s 1d20(⑩)+2]: 12
[20:27] <Terres> (now you said advantage, my blast has two beams is that adv only on the first?)
[20:27] <DM_ToA> (first one misses)
[20:27] <DM_ToA> (oh, just the first one has advantage)
[20:27] <DM_ToA> (roll again)
[20:27] <Ash> (First attack has advant)
[20:28] <Terres> 1d20+7 adv
[20:28] <TolBot> Terres's 1d20(5, 3)+7 'adv']: 12
[20:28] <Kayalia> (sad face)
[20:28] <Terres> (lol)
[20:28] <DM_ToA> (still miss – roll second one)
[20:28] <Terres> 1d20+7 second blast
[20:28] <TolBot> Terres's 1d20(⑪)+7 'second blast']: 18
[20:28] <DM_ToA> (hits)
[20:28] <@Stol-aconda> (ok, reading, I def shoulda done the constrict attack first. That’s the tactic)
[20:28] <Terres> 1d10+2
[20:28] <TolBot> Terres's 1d10(③)+2]: 5
[20:28] <Kayalia> (technically he already rolled the 2nd one just before hand… but hey…hehe)
[20:28] <@Stol-aconda> (all these attacks would have advantage)
[20:29] <Kayalia> (Why stol? each ray of eldritch is a different attack)
[20:29] <Terres> (stol you should worry about a way of getting out of its belly, i am pretty sure it will slurp you up like a nudle right now)
[20:29] <DM_ToA> Frog skin vaporizes under the second attack, as they first one magaes to go wide into the canopy.
[20:29] <@Stol-aconda> (i’m too big)
[20:29] <DM_ToA> (Stol)
[20:30] <Kayalia> (danger noodle)
[20:30] <@Stol-aconda> (I roll to ungrapple?)
[20:30] <DM_ToA> (yes – DC 16)
[20:30] <@Stol-aconda> (STR?)
[20:30] <@Stol-aconda> (cause this form is wicked strong)
[20:31] <DM_ToA> (Yes)
[20:31] <@Stol-aconda> 1d20+4 DC16
[20:31] <TolBot> [Stol-aconda's 1d20(⑮)+4 'DC16']: 19 (Success)
[20:31] * dylan-_ (Mutter@sorcery-6angq2.pa6a.6dv2.fb90.2607.IP) has joined #grovewood
[20:31] <@Stol-aconda> (I think tat takes my standard action, so I’m done)
[20:31] <Terres> (now throw a choke right back at it)
[20:31] <DM_ToA> The anaconda manages to wriggle and flex enough for the tenacle that was holding it to pop open.
[20:32] <@Stol-aconda> (does the desc say “spend an action to get free”?)
[20:32] <DM_ToA> (Yep – bonus action to slither to safety?)
[20:32] <@Stol-aconda> (I still have move action. But I ain’t going nowhere)
[20:32] <DM_ToA> (nope)
[20:33] <Terres> (you should transfor into the frogs mortal enemy….. a helium tank)
[20:33] <@Stol-aconda> (pot of boiling water?)
[20:33] <DM_ToA> The froghemoth – now with a freshly freed tentacle – flails both ot them at its back to dislodge Miri.
[20:33] <Miri> (adv)
[20:33] <DM_ToA> 1d20+10 adv
[20:33] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 1d20(20, 13)+10 'adv']: 30 (Hurray)
[20:34] <Terres> (oh good lord)
[20:34] <DM_ToA> (oh, crapistan)
[20:34] <DM_ToA> 1d20+10 adv
[20:34] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 1d20(4, 18)+10 'adv']: 28
[20:34] <Miri> (well both hit.)
[20:34] <DM_ToA> (well…this is going to sting)
[20:34] <Miri> (i'm raging so half damage)
[20:34] <Terres> (yeah but half a truck hitting you still hurts)
[20:35] <Miri> (and if miri dies, don't forget to loot the body)
[20:35] <DM_ToA> 6d8+6
[20:35] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 6d8(⑥②④②⑥④)+6]: 30
[20:35] <Ash> (I'm picturing the scene where Hulk smashes Loki into the floor several painful times)
[20:35] <DM_ToA> 3d8+6
[20:35] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 3d8(⑤④⑤)+6]: 20
[20:35] * dylan- (Mutter@sorcery-9gauh5.wavecable.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 121 seconds)
[20:35] <DM_ToA> (You take total 50 points)
[20:35] <@Stol-aconda> (I get a free attack via Sentinel now)
[20:35] <Miri> (so half is 25?)
[20:35] <DM_ToA> (hit it, Stol)
[20:35] <DM_ToA> (yes)
[20:35] <@Stol-aconda> 1d20+7 Constricting attack
[20:35] <TolBot> [Stol-aconda's 1d20(⑰)+7 'Constricting attack']: 24
[20:36] <@Stol-aconda> (hit?)
[20:36] <DM_ToA> The tentacles clobber Miri – a lesser person would have been reduced to jelly – but hse hangs on by rage of will. Seeing the opprotunity, Stol wraps his bulk around the froghemoth's mid section and squeezes.
[20:36] <DM_ToA> (yep)
[20:37] * dylan-_ (Mutter@sorcery-6angq2.pa6a.6dv2.fb90.2607.IP) Quit (Quit: Mutter: www.mutterirc.com)
[20:37] <@Stol-aconda> 2d8+4 bludgioning damage and it is grappled restrained. Can try escape its next turn DC16.
[20:37] <TolBot> [Stol-aconda's 2d8(⑤③)+4 'bludgioning damage and it is grappled restrained. Can try escape its next turn DC16.']: 12
[20:37] <@Stol-aconda> (sorry, 13 damage)
[20:37] <Terres> (now miri remember that scene from starwars when princess pulls the chain to strangle the hutt, do the same with Stol)
[20:37] <@Stol-aconda> (I keep forgetting to add my magic item)
[20:37] <@Stol-aconda> (hehe)
[20:38] <DM_ToA> (I have this image of Miri grabbing one end of the snake, then right below the snake's head and pulling…and Stol's eyes start to pop out of his skull like a cartoon)
[20:38] <@Stol-aconda> (ouch)
[20:38] <DM_ToA> Kayalia you're up)
[20:38] <Miri> (i dont think we want me to kill stol)
[20:39] <@Stol-aconda> (we don’t)
[20:39] <Terres> (no just use him to strangle the frog, what could go wrong)
[20:39] * Kayalia crossbows
[20:39] <Kayalia> 1d20+7
[20:39] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑧)+7]: 15
[20:39] <DM_ToA> (hits)
[20:39] <Kayalia> 4d6+4
[20:39] <TolBot> Kayalia's 4d6(⚄⚀⚄⚀)+4]: 16
[20:39] <@Stol-aconda> (All attacks on the frog thing now have advantage)
[20:39] <Kayalia> 1d20 test for crit with adv
[20:39] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(①) 'test for crit with adv']: 1 (Uh oh.)
[20:39] <Kayalia> nay
[20:40] <DM_ToA> (Miri)
[20:40] <Kayalia> (dmg dmg)
[20:40] <DM_ToA> (You asking for me, Kayalia?)
[20:40] * Kayalia delivers another crossbow bolt to the creature's form, taking advantage of its split attention to hit its weak spots.
[20:40] <Miri> (my turn already?)
[20:40] <Miri> (and all attacks have advantage?)
[20:40] <DM_ToA> (wait – Kayalai is firing again)
[20:40] <Miri> (ok)
[20:40] <Kayalia> (no)
[20:40] <DM_ToA> (Yes, all attacks have damage)
[20:41] <DM_ToA> (oh, sorry – Miri is up)
[20:41] <DM_ToA> (advantage)
[20:41] <@Stol-aconda> (It has a huge constrictor snake wrapped around it)
[20:41] * Miri takes two swipes with her blade.
[20:41] <Miri> 1d20+6 adv
[20:41] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(18, 18)+6 'adv']: 24
[20:41] <Miri> 1d20+6 adv
[20:41] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(10, 3)+6 'adv']: 16
[20:41] <DM_ToA> (both hit)
[20:41] <Kayalia> (miri gonan tear it up!)
[20:42] <Miri> 4d6+10 slashing
[20:42] <TolBot> Miri's 4d6(⚅⚄⚂⚅)+10 'slashing']: 30
[20:42] <Miri> 4d6 fire
[20:42] <TolBot> Miri's 4d6(⚅⚄⚄⚄) 'fire']: 21
[20:42] <Miri> (that's for both attacks)
[20:43] * @Stol-aconda holds its grip so that others can pummel it.
[20:43] <DM_ToA> Miri hacks into the creature's bodym, sending black ichor bubbling up from the depths. It's looking very weak…
[20:43] <DM_ToA> (Ash)
[20:43] <Kayalia> (I want 4d6 fire on myyyyy attacksssss *whine*)
[20:43] * Ash launches another guiding bolt and follows it up with healing for Miri
[20:43] <DM_ToA> (Hands Kayalia a Zippo)
[20:43] <Ash> 1d20+5 adv
[20:43] <TolBot> Ash's 1d20(6, 2)+5 'adv']: 11
[20:43] <Ash> 1d20+5 adv
[20:43] <TolBot> Ash's 1d20(14, 11)+5 'adv']: 19
[20:43] <DM_ToA> (missed)
[20:43] <Kayalia> (gleeful cackling ensues)
[20:43] <Miri> (it's actually 2d6 per attack fire. i just rolled the damage for both attacks at once)
[20:44] <Ash> (oops on second one)
[20:44] <DM_ToA> (hit)
[20:44] <Ash> 2d4+2 healing to Miri.
[20:44] <TolBot> Ash's 2d4(⚀⚂)+2 'healing to Miri.']: 6
[20:44] <DM_ToA> (second one)
[20:44] <Ash> (Second one was an accident)
[20:44] <Terres> (i think Ash rolled attack instead of heal)
[20:44] <DM_ToA> (oh)
[20:44] <Kayalia> (ya you basically have a magic weapon that pretty much obsoletes my class' mean feature, somehow *sob*)
[20:44] <DM_ToA> (Terres)
[20:45] * Terres casts another 2 Eldritch blasts at the creature
[20:45] <Miri> (which class feature?)
[20:45] <Terres> (still adv?)
[20:45] <DM_ToA> (yes)
[20:45] <Terres> 2#1d20+7 adv
[20:45] <TolBot> Terres's 1d20(5, 17)+7 'adv']: 24
[20:45] <TolBot> Terres's 1d20(5, 20)+7 'adv']: 27 (Hurray)
[20:45] <DM_ToA> (both hit, with the second being critical – roll your damage)
[20:45] <Terres> (so double the dice on second?)
[20:46] <Miri> (yes)
[20:46] <Terres> 3d10+4
[20:46] <TolBot> Terres's 3d10(⑩⑤④)+4]: 23
[20:46] <Terres> (thats all)
[20:47] <DM_ToA> The eldricht energy stikes the creature – the second one hitting where the heart would be… It slumps in the water, barely holding itself up.
[20:47] <DM_ToA> (Stol)
[20:48] * @Stol-aconda is readying an action, to constrict once the frog has acted.
[20:49] <@Stol-aconda> (ie, either it tries to free itself or it attacks)
[20:49] <DM_ToA> (ok)
[20:49] <DM_ToA> The froghemoth pulls a tenacle back, with the dangling Miri wrapped up in it. It opens its mouth and tries to swallow her.
[20:50] <DM_ToA> (Stol – squeeze)
[20:50] <DM_ToA> 1d20+10
[20:50] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 1d20(③)+10]: 13
[20:50] <@Stol-aconda> (it attacks with disadvage)
[20:50] <DM_ToA> 1d20+10
[20:50] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 1d20(⑰)+10]: 27
[20:50] <DM_ToA> (Misses)
[20:51] <@Stol-aconda> (I get a free attack on it first because it attacked miri and not me)
[20:51] <DM_ToA> As the monster dangles Miri over its mouth…
[20:51] <@Stol-aconda> 1d20+7 squeeze
[20:51] <TolBot> [Stol-aconda's 1d20(⑨)+7 'squeeze']: 16
[20:51] <DM_ToA> (ok – go for it)
[20:51] <DM_ToA> (hit – roll damage)
[20:51] <@Stol-aconda> 2d8+4
[20:51] <TolBot> [Stol-aconda's 2d8(⑤①)+4]: 10
[20:51] <@Stol-aconda> Then my main attack is after it’s attack.
[20:52] <Miri> (am i getting eaten yet or no?)
[20:52] <DM_ToA> Stol flexes his serpentine muscles once – there are a series of bone snaps like children's fire crackers. The froghemoth wobbles once…twice… and pitches forward into the stagnant water.
[20:52] <DM_ToA> (not today)
[20:53] <Terres> (im call NOT IT on searching for loot on that thing)
[20:53] <DM_ToA> Water sloshes out and crashes on the ground.
[20:53] * Terres exhales a deep breath “That was a new one”
[20:54] <DM_ToA> (CR 10. This thing was a CR 10. Screw it – I'm scratching out everything and replacing it with Dracolich)
[20:54] <@Stol-aconda> (lol)
[20:54] * Miri laughs as she climbs back onto land from the water. “what's next?”
[20:54] <Terres> (yeah our group got some nice toys for their level)
[20:54] <@Stol-aconda> (This form was handy in this situation)
[20:54] <Ash> “Um, how about some healing?”
[20:55] <Miri> (what time is it?)
[20:55] <Ash> (healing time)
[20:55] * @Stol-aconda squeezes and then finally lets go, and disappears under the water.
[20:55] <DM_ToA> (Early afternoon –anyone gonna examine the statue?)
[20:56] <Miri> “sure….i suppose”
[20:56] <Terres> (do we have to swim to it or can we walk?)
[20:56] <DM_ToA> There are stepping stones leading to it.
[20:56] <@Stol-aconda> 1d20+2 perception
[20:56] <TolBot> [Stol-aconda's 1d20(①)+2 'perception']: 3 (Uh oh.)
[20:56] * Terres tosses another rock into the pool just in case then moves carefully closer to the statue
[20:57] <DM_ToA> (walking across it takes an Acrobatics check of DC 10)
[20:57] * @Stol-aconda emerges from the water, and swims alongside, providing a snake-bridge to the statue.
[20:58] <DM_ToA> (adv to the roll)
[20:58] <@Stol-aconda> (or maybe I don’t understand the layout)
[20:58] <Terres> 1d20+1 acrobatics
[20:58] <TolBot> Terres's 1d20(⑬)+1 'acrobatics']: 14
[20:58] <DM_ToA> You see a small statue of a frog. The mouth looks like it's hinged to open.
[20:59] * Terres takes a look at the hinge then pokes it with his staff
[20:59] <Kayalia> 1d20+10 acrobatics
[20:59] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑯)+10 'acrobatics']: 26
[21:00] <Kayalia> (my forte!)
[21:00] <DM_ToA> Kayalia dances across Stol's back like it was her purpose in life.
[21:00] * Ash pulls out his healer's kit and goes to work binding and treating Miri's wounds…
[21:00] <Terres> (can i check for anything that could be a trap)
[21:00] <DM_ToA> Terres: The mouth falls open and inside is a key.
[21:00] * Terres speaks a word a mage hand appears just to snatch the key and bring it to Terres
[21:01] <Ash> 1d6+10 hp to Miri
[21:01] <TolBot> Ash's 1d6(⚃)+10 'hp to Miri']: 14
[21:01] * Kayalia dances across Stol's back easily since both dancing and acrobatics are her purpose in life.
[21:01] <DM_ToA> The key pops out with a metallic little *ping*.
[21:01] <Terres> (great)
[21:01] * Miri smiles “thanks Ash.”
[21:02] <Kayalia> “Lovely.”
[21:02] * Terres takes the key then tries to get back to the group
[21:02] <Ash> “You're welcome. Try to avoid the tentacles next time though.”
[21:03] * Miri laughs “no promises, but i'll try.”
[21:03] <DM_ToA> (maps to the shrines: https://www.dndbeyond.com/compendium/adventures/toa/dwellers-of-the-forbidden-city#3KubazansShrine)
[21:03] <DM_ToA> You are in Kubazan's Shrine
[21:04] <DM_ToA> Ahead of you, is a door with a lock on it…
[21:04] <Terres> (i think you just linked the ceat sheet)
[21:04] <Terres> (Cheat*)
[21:04] <DM_ToA> (nope – those are the player's versions)
[21:05] <Terres> (umm it lists the traps and stuff)
[21:05] * @Stol-aconda swims in circles menacingly around the circumference of the pool.
[21:06] <DM_ToA> (I…dammit…)
[21:06] <DM_ToA> (https://media-waterdeep.cursecdn.com/attachments/2/899/305a.jpg)
[21:06] <@Stol-aconda> (yeah, I’m closing that page)
[21:07] <@Stol-aconda> (that was def DM notes)
[21:07] <DM_ToA> (the link I just put up is the maps only)
[21:07] <Kayalia> (ya you linked a dm's reference or something)
[21:07] <DM_ToA> (just play stupid until you're out of the shrine)
[21:07] <Terres> (same but now i know there is glyph of fear at the door and we need some key which i assume i just got)
[21:08] * Terres shows the key to the rest of the group “It was in that frogs mouth”
[21:08] <Miri> (are ash and i in the srhine since we stayed behind to ash could heal me?)
[21:09] * Kayalia skips around daintily over the debris putting even the nimblest and most graceful of fey to shame, using her honed dancer's footwork. She looks up, suddenly bored. “Now what?”
[21:10] <DM_ToA> (You're still at the pool)
[21:10] * @Stol-aconda finally slithers out of the pool, and moves up behind the group.
[21:10] <@Stol-aconda> (I can now stay in form for 3 hours… gonna milk this thing as long as I can. hehe)
[21:10] <Terres> “I wonder how many adventurers this thing killed before us. Hey Stol did you see any shineys at the bottom of that pool?”
[21:11] * @Stol-aconda shakes its head.
[21:11] <Kayalia> “Do we have to look in every building? We're looking for the artifact that is killing off the second lives of everyone, right? I wouldn't imagine its in an abandoned place, since someone activated it.”
[21:11] <Ash> “Well if that's a door across the water, and you have a key, perhaps you should try the key on the door?”
[21:11] * Terres chuckles “Maybe it ate them equipment and all, Who wants to go diggings inside that thing”
[21:12] * Kayalia stops beside the gate to the temple, looking over things there.
[21:12] * Terres makes his way around the pool towards the door, keeping an eye on the water
[21:13] * @Stol-aconda slithers behind Terres.
[21:13] * Terres hands the key back to the mage hand and makes it turn it inside the lock
[21:14] <Terres> (it lasts a minute, if its done already i will open it)
[21:14] <DM_ToA> The door clicks and swings open stifly.
[21:14] <DM_ToA> Inside is darkness.
[21:15] * Terres looks at Miri “After you “
[21:15] <DM_ToA> (heading in?)
[21:16] <Miri> “sure, i just got healed…why not” makes sure her sword is lit and heads in.
[21:16] * Ash goes up to the doorway to look in also.
[21:16] <Terres> (darkvision helping me see anything?)
[21:16] <Ash> (Darkvision)
[21:16] <DM_ToA> Steps descend to a ledge overlooking a pit of sharpened stakes. An alcove on the far wall holds a pedestal with a stone cube resting on it. A relief carved into the back of the alcove shows a monstrous frog with tentacles fighting a crane. Wooden beams radiate from the walls at floor height, with four-foot gaps between them. Carved frog heads extrude from the walls above the beams.
[21:16] <Kayalia> (Darkness… my mortal enemy. Does anyone have magic missile?)
[21:16] <Miri> (20 feet of bright light from my sword)
[21:16] <DM_ToA> (You cannot shoot the darkness. There is no Handsome Prince to defeat.)
[21:17] <@Stol-aconda> ( /me attacks the gazebo )
[21:18] <DM_ToA> (leave the gazebo alone, you malformed travel bag)
[21:18] * Terres looks for any levers or buttons or anything else on the wall
[21:18] * Kayalia digs through her explorer's pack for a light source, eventually procuring a lamp and some oil, which she takes the time to fill up and light the wick of.
[21:18] <DM_ToA> (No levers)
[21:19] <Miri> (my sword is also a light source)
[21:19] * Kayalia holds her lantern aloft, lighting brightly within 15 feet, and dimly out to 30 feet.
[21:19] <DM_ToA> The planks that extend out from the wall look sturdy enough to hold one person.
[21:20] <Terres> (looks like more athletics rolls, not my area of expertese)
[21:21] * Kayalia muses at the planks, thinking she could probably acrobatics her way around them, but doesn't like taking risks.
[21:21] <Terres> “I dont think i would make it across in one piece”
[21:22] <Miri> Kayalia could probably dance her way across them.”
[21:22] * Kayalia gives Miri the stink eye.
[21:24] * Kayalia exhales. “Well, I guess if we have to go in here, its not… impossible…“
[21:24] * Kayalia examines the boards to try and judge how difficult it would be to get across them.
[21:24] <Terres> ( you said frog fighting a crane near the cube, any other pictures around the room i can see?)
[21:25] * @Stol-aconda slithers forward.
[21:25] <DM_ToA> (not really)
[21:25] * @Stol-aconda slithers across the first two planks and remains still.
[21:25] * Kayalia hops onto the first one, paying attention to any movement in the beams, in case they are loose or not sturdy.
[21:26] <Kayalia> (whoa, wait, the snake is going too?)
[21:26] <DM_ToA> (They're sturdy…)
[21:26] <DM_ToA> the plank bobbles up and down slightly…then starts to detract into the wall.
[21:26] <DM_ToA> 5
[21:26] <DM_ToA> 4
[21:26] * Kayalia hops to the next one
[21:26] <Miri> (brb)
[21:26] <DM_ToA> Acrobatics check
[21:27] <Kayalia> 1d20+10
[21:27] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑭)+10]: 24
[21:27] <DM_ToA> DC 11
[21:27] <DM_ToA> You land on the next one.
[21:27] * @Stol-aconda slithers to the next one.
[21:27] * Kayalia hops to the next one if the plank starts to retract again.
[21:27] <DM_ToA> DC 12
[21:27] <Kayalia> 1d20+10
[21:27] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑪)+10]: 21
[21:28] <DM_ToA> When you land on the plank, there's a three second pause before it begins to retract.
[21:28] * @Stol-aconda moves back.
[21:28] * Kayalia continues on, until she has time to study, but if they retract she keeps going.
[21:28] <DM_ToA> DC 14
[21:28] <Kayalia> 1d20+10 Acrobatics
[21:28] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑨)+10 'Acrobatics']: 19
[21:28] <DM_ToA> DC 12
[21:28] <Kayalia> 1d20+10 Acrobatics
[21:28] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑲)+10 'Acrobatics']: 29
[21:29] * Kayalia hops from plank to plank nimbly.
[21:29] <DM_ToA> DC 14
[21:29] * Terres watches the show
[21:29] <Kayalia> 1d20+10 Acrobatics
[21:29] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑲)+10 'Acrobatics']: 29
[21:29] <DM_ToA> DC 11
[21:30] <Kayalia> 1d20+10 Acrobatics
[21:30] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(④)+10 'Acrobatics']: 14
[21:30] <DM_ToA> DC 13 (halfway across)
[21:30] <Kayalia> 1d20+10 Acrobatics
[21:30] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑮)+10 'Acrobatics']: 25
[21:30] <DM_ToA> DC 12
[21:30] <Kayalia> 1d20+10 Acrobatics
[21:30] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑥)+10 'Acrobatics']: 16
[21:30] <DM_ToA> DC 9
[21:30] <Kayalia> 1d20+10 Acrobatics
[21:30] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑱)+10 'Acrobatics']: 28
[21:30] <@Stol-aconda> 1d20+2
[21:30] <TolBot> [Stol-aconda's 1d20(③)+2]: 5
[21:31] <Miri> (back)
[21:31] <DM_ToA> The snake tries his best to wiggle across, but a miscalcuation makes him slip off of retracting board…
[21:31] <DM_ToA> (pause at 11)
[21:31] <DM_ToA> 3d6
[21:31] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 3d6(⚅⚀⚄)]: 12
[21:32] <@Stol-aconda> (there are 11 planks? no way I’d try that)
[21:32] <DM_ToA> (Stol, take 12 points of damage and make a Dex saving throw DC 12)
[21:32] <DM_ToA> (there are 16 planks)
[21:32] <@Stol-aconda> 1d20+2
[21:32] <TolBot> [Stol-aconda's 1d20(⑨)+2]: 11
[21:32] <Kayalia> (I'm so gonna die any minute here)
[21:32] <DM_ToA> (ouch)
[21:33] <DM_ToA> The snake slips off, getting his mid-section pierced by a wooden stake on the bottom…
[21:33] <Kayalia> (so he fell on spikes? x_x)
[21:33] * dylan- (Mutter@sorcery-9gauh5.wavecable.com) has joined #grovewood
[21:33] <DM_ToA> He fell on…
[21:33] <DM_ToA> 1d4
[21:33] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 1d4(⚃)]: 4
[21:34] <DM_ToA> Four stakes push through him, adding more misery…
[21:34] <@Stol-aconda> (what was the first 12 points of damage from?)
[21:34] <Kayalia> (the fall, apparently)
[21:34] <DM_ToA> (bludgeoning from the fall)
[21:34] <DM_ToA> 4d6
[21:34] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 4d6(⚁⚀⚄⚁)]: 10
[21:34] <@Stol-aconda> (that’s weird. pretty sure the stakes broke my fall. lol)
[21:34] <Terres> (lol)
[21:34] <DM_ToA> and an additional 10 from the stakes.
[21:34] <Ash> (lol)
[21:35] * @Stol-aconda hisses.
[21:35] <DM_ToA> (Technically – yes. the stakes did break your fall, but they're ill constructed for that particular activity.)
[21:35] * Kayalia would show concern for Stol, but she's a bit pre-occupied with not falling
[21:35] <DM_ToA> Kayalia – keep rolling)
[21:35] <DM_ToA> DC 15
[21:35] <Kayalia> (gulp…)
[21:35] <Kayalia> 1d20+10 acrobatics
[21:35] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(③)+10 'acrobatics']: 13
[21:35] <Kayalia> (SHIT)
[21:36] <DM_ToA> (ooh)
[21:36] <DM_ToA> 3d6
[21:36] <TolBot> <[DM_ToA's 3d6(⚅⚄⚀)]: 12
[21:36] <Kayalia> (after getting so far)
[21:36] <DM_ToA> Kayalia tries to leap, but her muscles falter and she plummets into the darkness.
[21:36] <Kayalia> (so lame)
[21:36] <Terres> (maybe stol breaks her fall)
[21:36] <DM_ToA> (roll DEX saving through, DC 12)
[21:37] * @Stol-aconda carefully pulls off the stakes to move onto the pit floor.
[21:37] * dylan- (Mutter@sorcery-9gauh5.wavecable.com) Quit (Quit: Mutter: www.mutterirc.com)
[21:37] <Ash> (And now I think… gee I should have gave her Enhance Ability)
[21:37] <Kayalia> 1d20+7 dexterity
[21:37] <DM_ToA> (“Hey, I fell on something soft and OHSHITITSASNAKE!”)
[21:37] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑭)+7 'dexterity']: 21
[21:37] <Kayalia> (I WAS THINKING THE SAME ASH)
[21:37] <@Stol-aconda> ( rotfl )
[21:37] <Kayalia> (like why didn't anyone bless me or whatever? ;_;)
[21:38] <Miri> (should have had someone fireball the spikes into ash)
[21:38] <Terres> (how far is it from the spot we are at to the place where the cube is at?)
[21:38] <DM_ToA> Yu manage to twist and land on your side, avoiding the stakes in the ground. Stol-aconda doesn't look like he was so lucky.
[21:38] * Kayalia manages to avoid stakes at least
[21:39] <Kayalia> “Oof! Damnit! My lamp…“
[21:39] <Miri> (how far down is the pit?)
[21:40] <DM_ToA> The little bit of oil in the lamp bursts into flames, casting garish shadows on the stakes and the snake trying to wriggle free.
[21:40] <Kayalia> (afk)
[21:40] <DM_ToA> (30 feet)
[21:40] <Miri> (k)
[21:40] <Terres> (how far is it from the edge of the steps where we are to the platform with the cube?)
[21:41] <@Stol-aconda> (which is weird since I’m 40+ feet long)
[21:41] <DM_ToA> (20 feet)
[21:41] <Ash> (1 square = 5 feet, so yeah between 15-20 feet)
[21:41] <DM_ToA> (brb – scheme amongst yourselves)
[21:41] <Terres> ( so 20 feet across?)
[21:41] <Miri> (and the pit is 30 feet down)
[21:42] <Kayalia> (back)
[21:42] <Miri> (wb)
[21:42] <Terres> (damn i wish i didnt use that fireball)
[21:43] * Kayalia looks for a way to get back up.
[21:43] <Terres> “Try to get around the stakes and climb up near the cube”
[21:45] * Kayalia doesn't have a rope… and is looking for any way yo climb or anything near the platform.
[21:45] <Ash> (use the snake as a rope)
[21:45] <@Stol-aconda> (i’m your rope)
[21:45] <@Stol-aconda> (if I can get off the stakes)
[21:46] <Miri> (“Why is it always snakes?” )
[21:46] <Kayalia> (how can I get a snake off stakes?)
[21:46] <@Stol-aconda> (I can just climb)
[21:46] <DM_ToA> (buy one)
[21:47] * Kayalia chops at the stake's base with her war fan. Normally this could break the delicate weapon, but hers is enchanted to be unbreakable, so, yay.)
[21:47] <Terres> (feed it some steaks and in two shakes it will be off the stakes , such are the snakes)
[21:47] <@Stol-aconda> ( do I need to roll a str check or anything to lift myself off the stakes?)
[21:47] <DM_ToA> (Athletics check, DC 12 – three rolls knocks down a spike)
[21:48] <DM_ToA> (Stol – Str check to get off hte stakes, DC 13)
[21:48] <@Stol-aconda> 1d20+4 Athletics DC12
[21:48] <TolBot> [Stol-aconda's 1d20(⑤)+4 'Athletics DC12']: 9 (Fail)
[21:48] <@Stol-aconda> 1d20+4 Athletics DC12
[21:48] <TolBot> [Stol-aconda's 1d20(⑤)+4 'Athletics DC12']: 9 (Fail)
[21:48] <@Stol-aconda> 1d20+4 Athletics DC12
[21:48] <TolBot> [Stol-aconda's 1d20(①)+4 'Athletics DC12']: 5 (Critical fail)
[21:48] <@Stol-aconda> (well, that’s awesome)
[21:49] <Terres> “While you are guys down there, any levers or buttons to stop those planks from retractifying?”
[21:49] <@Stol-aconda> ( “Guys, I’m just gonna hang here.” )
[21:49] <DM_ToA> You discover that arms are more useful than you realized.
[21:49] <Terres> ( you and tolbot need to have a talk methings)
[21:49] <Kayalia> (oh that ain't happening…)
[21:49] <@Stol-aconda> ( my own bot hates me )
[21:49] <Kayalia> 1d20-1 Atheletics
[21:49] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑦)-1 'Atheletics']: 6
[21:49] <Kayalia> 1d20-1 Atheletics
[21:49] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑤)-1 'Atheletics']: 4
[21:49] <Kayalia> 1d20-1 Atheletics
[21:49] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑯)-1 'Atheletics']: 15
[21:49] <Kayalia> (SEE?)
[21:50] <Miri> “Do i need to come down there with my axe and help ya'll out?”
[21:50] * @Stol-aconda hisses.
[21:50] * Kayalia pants and pauses for a bit. “Yeah, maybe. He's stuck.”
[21:51] <Kayalia> “I was so close to getting across, too. Jeez. I need to train more, I guess.”
[21:51] <Ash> “He looks like a ka-bob”
[21:51] <DM_ToA> Kayalia – you manage to take a little chunk from the wood. Your war fan isn't made for chopping wood.
[21:51] * Miri sighs and jumps down into the pit so she can make her way over ot Kay and Stol.
[21:52] * Kayalia nods to herself. Indeed.
[21:53] <Miri> (her lamp set stuff on fire right? so there is light beside my sword?)
[21:53] <Terres> (hwo big is the cube? does it look more that 10lb ?)
[21:54] <DM_ToA> (Yes, there is more light)
[21:54] * Miri picks her way over to the stuck snake. and puts her sword away and gets out an axe and starts chopping down the dang stakes.
[21:54] <Miri> (what was the roll again?)
[21:55] <DM_ToA> (the cube looks to weight about half a pound)
[21:55] <DM_ToA> Miri three strength checks at adv)
[21:56] <DM_ToA> DC 12
[21:56] <Miri> 1d20+3 adv dc12
[21:56] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(18, 20)+3 'adv dc12']: 23 (Critical success)
[21:56] <Miri> 1d20+3 adv dc12
[21:56] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(10, 11)+3 'adv dc12']: 14 (Success)
[21:56] <Miri> 1d20+3 adv dc12
[21:56] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(16, 18)+3 'adv dc12']: 21 (Success)
[21:56] <Terres> “You guys should get or of the pit when you can , i want to try something”
[21:56] <DM_ToA> The first stake hangs in Stol-aconda before slowly sliding out.
[21:57] * Miri moves to the next stake.
[21:57] <DM_ToA> (two more remain)
[21:57] <Miri> (3 more attacks? advanatage or no?)
[21:57] * @Stol-aconda wiggles a bit.
[21:57] <DM_ToA> (three rolls, two more times with adv DC 12)
[21:57] <Miri> 1d20+3 adv dc12
[21:57] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(16, 7)+3 'adv dc12']: 19 (Success)
[21:57] <Miri> 1d20+3 adv dc12
[21:57] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(4, 8)+3 'adv dc12']: 11 (Fail)
[21:57] <Miri> 1d20+3 adv dc12
[21:57] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(18, 1)+3 'adv dc12']: 21 (Success)
[21:58] <Miri> 1d20+3 adv dc12
[21:58] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(2, 6)+3 'adv dc12']: 9 (Fail)
[21:58] <Miri> 1d20+3 adv dc12
[21:58] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(1, 15)+3 'adv dc12']: 18 (Success)
[21:58] <Miri> 1d20+3 adv dc12
[21:58] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(8, 14)+3 'adv dc12']: 17 (Success)
[21:58] * Terres takes a closer look at one of the frog faces on the walls
[21:58] <DM_ToA> The second one is harder – mostly because this is the one in middle and you can tell that the shocks of striking the wood aren't pelasant…but you manage to get it down.
[21:59] <Terres> (does it look like it could shoot those darts/daggers at us?)
[21:59] <Terres> 1d20+3
[21:59] <TolBot> Terres's 1d20(⑮)+3]: 18
[21:59] <Terres> (of course i am doing the proding with the end of my staff)
[22:00] <DM_ToA> (Two more checks to release Stol)
[22:00] <Miri> 1d20+3 adv dc12
[22:00] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(7, 1)+3 'adv dc12']: 10 (Fail)
[22:00] <Miri> 1d20+3 adv dc12
[22:00] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(1, 19)+3 'adv dc12']: 22 (Success)
[22:00] <Terres> “Those damn frogs have hinges in thir mouths, pretty sure they have something nasty in for us”
[22:01] <Miri> (three for each two or is that it?)
[22:01] <DM_ToA> (two more checks and stol is free)
[22:01] <Miri> 1d20+3 adv dc12
[22:01] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(16, 7)+3 'adv dc12']: 19 (Success)
[22:01] <Miri> 1d20+3 adv dc12
[22:01] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(7, 16)+3 'adv dc12']: 19 (Success)
[22:01] <Ash> “Open one up and look inside?”
[22:01] <Terres> (you said they are all around the walls, and there are many of them?)
[22:02] <DM_ToA> You've never seen a grateful looking snake…but Stol-aconda looks very grateful right now…
[22:02] * @Stol-aconda wiggles free.
[22:02] <DM_ToA> (about twenty frogs on walls)
[22:02] * Miri puts her axe away and gets her sword back out and lights it. “now, if you wouldn't mind boosting the two of us out of here so torres can be stupid, i'd apperciate it.”
[22:02] * @Stol-aconda nods at you and then slitheres to the far wall and slithers up.
[22:03] * Terres moves to the side of one of the frog faces and trues to bry it open with his staff making sure he doesnt get a facefull of darts in the process
[22:03] <Terres> (bah cant spell, tries to pry it open too)
[22:03] * Miri climbs the giant snake in order to get back out of the pit.
[22:04] * Terres yells” Those frog faces look like a trap, watch what you step on over there”
[22:06] <Terres> (its going to be fun getting back this way with more than half of those planks retracted)
[22:06] <DM_ToA> (Teres, Str check DC 16)
[22:06] <Terres> 1d20
[22:06] <TolBot> Terres's 1d20(⑳)]: 20 (Nailed it!)
[22:06] <Terres> (lol i was expecting a fail)
[22:07] <DM_ToA> Terres pries one of the frog mouth open…
[22:07] <Terres> Ash made me do it!)
[22:07] <DM_ToA> …and inside is a flat surface, riddled with holes.
[22:08] <Terres> (like dart holes)
[22:09] <DM_ToA> Miri climbing the snake – Athletic check, DC 13, adv if Stol wants to help)
[22:09] * Kayalia attempts to scale the snake, shuddering in unpleasantness as she touches the snake (she's afraid of scaley stuff like reptiles).
[22:09] <Miri> 1d20+6 adv dc13
[22:09] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(14, 8)+6 'adv dc13']: 20 (Success)
[22:09] * @Stol-aconda remains motionless.
[22:09] <DM_ToA> “Eww…sorry…eww…sorry…nothing personal…“
[22:09] <Kayalia> 1d20-1 adv dc13
[22:09] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(2, 2)-1 'adv dc13']: 1 (Fail)
[22:09] <Kayalia> -___-
[22:10] <Terres> “These dont look like dart holes!”
[22:10] <DM_ToA> Miri scales up the snake with little problem.
[22:10] * dylan- (Mutter@sorcery-9gauh5.wavecable.com) has joined #grovewood
[22:10] <DM_ToA> Kayalia tries, but the soreness from the impact is making it hard for her to fully stretch.
[22:10] * Kayalia is conked out by both being offput bu=y the snake, as well as falling off the snake.
[22:10] <DM_ToA> (you can try again)
[22:10] <Kayalia> offput by the snake*
[22:10] * Miri will attempt to help kay now that she is no longer climbing the snake.
[22:11] <dylan→ (Guests gone)
[22:11] <DM_ToA> (Kay – roll with adv and +1)
[22:11] <Kayalia> 1d20+1 adv dc13
[22:11] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(13, 9)+1 'adv dc13']: 14 (Success)
[22:11] <DM_ToA> (good – bunch of free loaders)
[22:11] <DM_ToA> (You guys are on which side?)
[22:12] <Kayalia> (destination-side I assume?)
[22:12] <Terres> ( if they are on the other side, i yelled at them to watch their step for traps)
[22:12] * Kayalia wearily leans against a wall, dizzy from everything that transpired.
[22:12] <DM_ToA> You see a small jade puzzle cube sitting on a small pedistal (sp).
[22:13] * Terres gets closer to the entrance and out of the way of frog mouths
[22:13] <Kayalia> “Cheeckkk for… trappps…“
[22:13] <Miri> “Isn't that your job?”
[22:14] * Ash waits with Terres on the “safe” side.
[22:14] * Kayalia slaps her own face a few times to get out of the stupor. “Why would that be my job?”
[22:14] * dylan- (Mutter@sorcery-9gauh5.wavecable.com) Quit (Quit: Mutter: www.mutterirc.com)
[22:15] <Miri> “I smash things. stol turns into animals, ash heals everyone, terres does stupid things, and you are nimble and check for traps.”
[22:15] * Kayalia looks around for traps on the platform but also specifically with the cube.
[22:15] * Ash chuckles
[22:15] <DM_ToA> (invest)
[22:15] <Ash> “I also talk to animals so they don't kill us.”
[22:15] <Terres> “Sounds about ri… hey!”
[22:15] <Kayalia> “Don't see why I am supposed to check for traps… that's dangerous work, I've never done that kind of thing before, really…“
[22:16] <Ash> “So all of you check!”
[22:16] * dylan- (Mutter@sorcery-9gauh5.wavecable.com) has joined #grovewood
[22:16] <Kayalia> (invest..? not perception? thats contrary to what the dmg says under traps… sigh)
[22:16] <Kayalia> 1d20+0 investigation…
[22:17] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑬)+0 'investigation…']: 13
[22:17] * Miri turns to terres “that's ok, you're still handy anyway” then proceeds to look for traps as well.
[22:17] <Miri> 1d20+1
[22:17] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(⑩)+1]: 11
[22:18] <DM_ToA> (your right sorry – perception, roll again)
[22:18] <Kayalia> (its usually perception to detect, investigate to solve, dex to disarm)
[22:18] <Miri> 1d20
[22:18] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(⑧)]: 8
[22:18] <Kayalia> 1d20+6 Perception
[22:18] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑧)+6 'Perception']: 14
[22:18] <Kayalia> (1 better anyways…)
[22:18] <DM_ToA> (You don't see anything)
[22:19] <Terres> “Hey if you are not sure about traps just come back here i can try something! (very stupid)“
[22:19] <Miri> “i don't see anything, but i highly doubt that that cube aint trapped.”
[22:19] <Kayalia> “Well, I don't see anything, but like I said, I'm not a trap expert, despitw what you say.”
[22:19] <Miri> “more so than i am, anyways lets go back to the other side and see what terres wants to do.”
[22:19] * dylan- (Mutter@sorcery-9gauh5.wavecable.com) Quit (Quit: Mutter: www.mutterirc.com)
[22:20] <Kayalia> “I might have a few tricks, yes, though. Pick a lock if I have to, that sort of thing.”
[22:20] <Miri> “
[22:20] <Miri> (bah, stupid enter key)
[22:21] <Terres> (you said the cube is about 20ish feet away from me and not more that 10lbs?)
[22:21] * Miri nods “not just a pretty face. i think that's the saying anyways” she looks to stol. “minde giving us a lift back?”
[22:22] <Kayalia> “So, are we just going to leave this square thing?”
[22:22] * @Stol-aconda nods.
[22:22] * @Stol-aconda stiffens up.
[22:22] <DM_ToA> (Yes – 20 ft away and half a pound)
[22:23] * Miri nods “yep. ready to climb the snake again?”
[22:23] <DM_ToA> (*claps hand over mouth*)
[22:23] <Miri> (you aren't the only one)
[22:23] <Terres> (ok i wait for them to get back here then i will cast mage hand again from 25' away and make it grab the cobe for me and bring it)
[22:23] <DM_ToA> (ok)
[22:24] <DM_ToA> (snake climbers – roll Athletics, DC 11)
[22:24] * @Stol-aconda coils up to help them down.
[22:24] <Miri> 1d20+6 dc11
[22:24] <TolBot> Miri's 1d20(⑥)+6 'dc11']: 12 (Success)
[22:24] * @Stol-aconda is a 10ft by 20ft coil.
[22:24] <@Stol-aconda> (gonna coil around any nearby stakes)
[22:25] <Kayalia> 1d20-1 dc11
[22:25] <TolBot> Kayalia's 1d20(⑲)-1 'dc11']: 18 (Success)
[22:25] <DM_ToA> (Everyone up?)
[22:25] * Kayalia shudders and looks like she's on the verge of crying while climbing the snake.
[22:26] <Terres> (ok going to back off as far away from frog faces line of fire as i can, then do all of that i said before when those guys are safe)
[22:26] <DM_ToA> (“Eww…nothing personal…eww…”)
[22:26] * Miri gives kay a gentle hug and rubs her back a bit.
[22:26] <DM_ToA> You cast “mage hand”…
[22:27] <DM_ToA> …the puzzle cube pops up from the altar easily and starts to drift towards you…
[22:27] <DM_ToA> *SLAM*
[22:27] <DM_ToA> The gates close behind you, locking you into the room.
[22:27] * Ash takes a step back…into a gate
[22:27] <Terres> (knew it)
[22:27] * Terres steps back as much as he can and commands the hand to bring the cube
[22:28] <Terres> Miri smash?”
[22:28] <DM_ToA> The cube drops into your hand. The frog mouths drop open. There is a non-Stol-aconda hiss as dark blue gas seeps out of the frog's mouth…
[22:28] <@Stol-aconda> ( I’d solve the cube for us, so we can leave, but, you know… no hands)
[22:29] <DM_ToA> And so we leave our adventurers gasping for air in the jungles of Chult. This session of “The Tome of Annihilation” comes to a dark and sharp ending (much like it almost did for the snake).

campaigns/harl_s_mad_temple_delight/session_23_-_9-16-2018.txt · Last modified: 2018/10/02 02:26 by ryubasteon